1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blade R1/R2 query

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Garrett, Jun 28, 2001.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,045
    I have seen Blade on R2 going for £9.99, on checking the aspect ratio I found it is 1.85:1 yet R1 is 2.35:1. Is the R1 the same as R2 with the top and bottom chopped off, or is R2 a pan and scan of R1?

2. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +858
    The R2 is 1:2.35 like the R1. It's got a couple less features though, I think the R1 has 2 audio commentaries, the R2 just has one. I'm sure the picture is better on the R1 aswell.
    But then for R2 we are talking EiV after all. Still a good film and disc though, whichever you go for.

3. Blade

Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John J, gotta agree. The R1 picture is superior to the R2.

Blade is a simple choice really - R1.

4. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I 'spose you can't argue with Blade about Blade can you? ;) But for 9.99, I don't think you'll be disapointed with the R2. (I wasn't :) )

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,045
    Thanks all for the help, just one thing I forgot in my original posting is either anamorphic?

:cool:

6. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,045
    Thanks once again Arthur S, for that web site, just added it to my favourites; I will use this before any purchase.

Rambo John J what's EiV? Edited Version!

;) :) :D

8. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Garrett,

EiV is the short nickname for a UK Video and DVD distribution firm called "Entertainment In Video".

Pooch

9. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,045
    Thanks for all the help. I got Blade at weekend and watched it the other night. You're right, you're not wrong it's 2.35:1 and anamorphic.
    I was looking on the IMDb and saw there is to be a sequel, Blade 2:Bloodlust and Whistler is in it! All I can say he is either a lousy shoot, a vampire or was firing blanks. Thoughts anyone?
    Another thought Blade was born in 67 Wesley Snipes born 62, yet Whistler states vampires' age slower, ok Blade is not a full vampire, but why not have him born earlier.
    Anyway great film, great value.

By the way whilst I was getting it in HMV for £9.99 I saw X-Men going for £12.99, (can that price be beaten) only it looked the cheesiest package ever, without opening the cellophane up, it looked just a piece of cardboard folded with a bit of a spine, with something to hold the DVD in place, (probably like a CD case centre) stuck on it.

:cool: Ruby quartz shades.

10. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the x-men case is a normal hard plastic case but is in a cardboard outer case

i love blade and can't wait for the second. i personaly think that my r2 copy of bade looks great (one of the best pics on a dvd i have ) i personaly do not like re1 . how can a pic with so much less resolution be superior in any way . on my 7 foot screen i just hate all the added line structure :(

pluss ntsc allways seems to look a lot darker to me with less detail on my electrohome crt . is it just me or is this the case

[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: squid ]

11. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,045
    The package I saw was as described above, it was about 4-5mm thick altogether. I have seen the one you mentioned it was not that one. HMV also did another package that was exclusive to them.

As to the quality of Blade just look at the scene when we first see Karen Janson looking in the microscope, you can see every pore on her face sharp as a pin (could see the pores on my video but not that sharp, no way). Also the blood shower scene, the shine off the blood was just phenomenal, almost blinding. I know I have a Loewe TV but if its not there to start with you never get it at the end. R1 must be out of this world.

:cool: Ruby quartz shades