1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blade cuts ?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by sifowler, Apr 10, 2002.

1. sifowler

sifowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I apologise if this has been discussed in another thread (although I searched the forum and couldn't find anything).

Is R2 Blade cut ?? I notice a 5 minute difference in the running time between R2 and R1/R4. As R4 is also PAL it seems it can't be attributed to the NTSC-PAL conversion.

I went to watch Blade 2 last night and enjoyed it - enough to purchase Blade on DVD as it happens !

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not cut in the censorship use of the word. The version submitted to the BBFC for clasification was five minutes shorter than the US version and was passed 18 uncut. So for some reason the studio submited a shortened version. not sure why though.

3. sifowler

sifowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just checked bbfc website. It seems the DVD is also 5 mins shorter than the UK Theatrical release.

Think I'll go for the R4 version - uncut, cheaper than R1 and seems to have a decent set of extras.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just read on the BBFC site that a film transfered to video will be 4per cent shorter due to frame rate differences. That would account for five minutes.

5. sifowler

sifowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah thats true.

Perhaps the R4 version is incorrectly quoting the running time ?

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    where do you get R4 from anyway, I only really buy from Play.com

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    Wouldn't be the first time.

See http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews/Reviews.asp?ReviewID=616

quote: The running time of this movie is 116 minutes, not 120 minutes as stated on the packaging.

quote: Clearly, the Region 1 version of this DVD is the version of choice.

Read the rest for yourself.

8. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    I but region 4 from the following place:

Ezy DVD

They are pretty cheap even after postage and they deliver very quickly, usually 3-4 dayds after order. Not bad considering they are in Australia. Not had any duty from their orders yet either, although I am waiting the 6 disk Ally McBeal season 1 box set, which will arrive any day now, (it's for the mrs, honest). I shall let you know if I get any duty on this, although I am expecting some considering the size of package.

9. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Shall I start my usual tyrade on how I h@te EIV?! :D :p

10. Samir

Samir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reason that Blade R1 is shorter than the R2 version is due to the recording rate that NTSC disks use. I think that R1 is 25 frames and R2 is 28 frames this is why R1 films appear to be longer in lenght. If you check out other R1 disks and compare with R2 you will see that this is the case even though there are no extra footage.
    Hope this of help.

11. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    Actually, NTSC (which includes R1 and R2 japan)will have a running time LONGER than PAL (which includes R2 Europe and R4 Australia).

Films are shot at 24 fps. For transfer to NTSC, the film is played at 24fps as shot. For transfer to PAL the film is played at 25fps ie sped up by about 4%. Which accounts for the reduced running time of 2 mins per hour of PAL over NTSC. I'm not going to bore you wth the reasons why this is done

True, but the original post, and subsequent comments, is comparing our version not only with R1 (NTSC) but with R4(PAL) and observing a longer running time on the R4 version. This appears to be a packaging error if the review on michaeldvd is up to its usual standard.

12. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Is there going to be a Blade/Blade2 box set?
    Dave.

13. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    so did you get hit for duty?

I've used Ezy DVD 3/4 times now and i've been over the moon with their service. Amazes me that I can get disks quicker and cheaper from Austrailer than I can from most UK based suppliers.
    Really says something about this country.

Regards

14. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Errr, well this is the first time that I haven't received the order within a week of it being posted, after I was singing their praises and everything. I shall let you know when it arrives, maybe it is held up in customs :mad:

15. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    I got the disks today and did get hit for duty, £6.52 import VAT + £3.85 Consignia clearance fee, although quite what the post office has done to warrant a £3.85 fee, I am not too sure of.

The other annoying thing is that the disks are actually in 2 packs of 3, so they could have been sent seperately and avoided the duty, which is what they did with the Buffy disks I ordered from them. Never mind though, it is the first time I have had any complaint with them and it's not really a big problem.