Blade 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Another on my ever expanding watchlist. As always I spent a few minutes watching it. It does look stunning overall and I'm ok with the cgi. The vampires exploding is not egregious but as I suspected the blood effects in the final fight don't travel well. But at the same time I think they decided to lean in to it and make the blood very bright and very red like it's from a comic book. That for me kind of works.

I'll take it as read that the audio will sound good, it did to me on initial listen and I've only read good things.

It didn't start the MCU but this film is the original Marvel superhero film. R rated and kickass before Deadpool. Needs to get much more credit. Your intro covered what I just said and more (the Matrix reference is spot on. Why didn't I think of this?} but I just had to say it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks cas,watched my copy last night,love this movie and it looks and sounds superb,better than i hoped for.

I have the blu ray and that is pretty darn good with an excellent soundtrack, after reading this review it seems they have improved it a lot so .......... more of my money going to HMV :eek:

Absolutely love this movie - the opening scene is a great introduction to the character (and a brilliant soundtrack).

Definitely one for my list.

Thanks for the review Cas - you're spot on with the intro. Don't know how many times I watched this scene on my old Panasonic 480p projector with the original DVD and DD 5.1. That club scene was just brilliant in terms of visuals and audio....are real showcase.

I never got the Bluray so really tempted to get this as the upgrade will be awesome!

Loved this one and Blade 2 as well.

Great review Cas !

Liked this movie from when it was first released and owned it on DTS Laserdisc, DVD and now i'm getting the 4K blu-ray for sure.
Curious how Mahershala Ali will portray Blade in the new Marvel movie though, probably not an R rated film since Disney is now involved pfff.

cheers Cas - i got mine on release day and watched it straight away

some have gone to town over minor niggles on PQ (total recall again) but for me it is a stunning disk and one of my favourite action films

the soundtrack is a stunner too

i am not sure what anyone expected the CGI too look like on 4K HDR? all you can expect on catalogue titles is a frame by frame restoration done well not a send back for a complete redo of the special effects that are over 20 years old - for me watched with any sympathy for the age of the movie this is a stunning effort

i put this in and was wowed with PQ on the opening cityscape scenes on the titles

an easy 9 for me - please do the same for blade 2 - go buy it

My iTunes copy upgraded last week, so it was great to revisit a film which helped define my teenage years. Given the amount of times with recent releases where you're struggling to feel the LFE, this had me running to dial down my subs before the neighbours complained. A devastatingly brilliant Atmos mix. Like you say @Casimir Harlow, the CG might not hold up. I had flashbacks to this at some points.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6U-FY9uNRg

Roll on the even better Blade II. I need some Luke Goss in 4K!

I just watched recently on amazon prime swithered on waiting on a 4k appearing and not long after watching it was announced.

One of my favourite action films, at the time after seeing it at the cinema when it came out, my description was that it was like being on a roller coaster watching this in a cinema with big screen and decent surround sound system.

This and the matrix were the first of the new style actions films we now take for granted today, as you say Cas " like a vampire slanted john wick"

I'll probably wait on it going into 2 for 30 price before i buy.

As it has an Atmos track i look forward to the nightclub scene and hearing the totally unrecogisible New Orders - Confusion Pump panel remix in Atmos, crankedup as loud as I can go.

In the edinburgh film festival a few years ago they had an interactive showing with live djs etc. Wish i had managed to go to it.

EIFF Play: Blade

Thx for the review Cas. :smashin:

One of my favourite films that always seemed to be a letdown in the audio department whenever I have bought in the past. Will definitely pick this up now you have confirmed that the audio is up to scratch. Hopefully Blade 2 will get the same treatment as I really enjoy that one too. Let's just forget the third one exists! :facepalm: :rotfl:

One of my favourite films, will have to pick this up on UHD

My iTunes copy upgraded last week, so it was great to revisit a film which helped define my teenage years. Given the amount of times with recent releases where you're struggling to feel the LFE, this had me running to dial down my subs before the neighbours complained. A devastatingly brilliant Atmos mix. Like you say @Casimir Harlow, the CG might not hold up. I had flashbacks to this at some points.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6U-FY9uNRg

Roll on the even better Blade II. I need some Luke Goss in 4K!

£7.99 on itunes currently for 4k DV / atmos so will be grabbing this one digitally.
Haven't watched it for about a decade. I remember the bass more than the movie - used to have the nightclub scene as a bass demo!

Thanks Cas, this arrived today for me, looks like my new subs are in for a treat later, not sure my fillings will agree though!!! :rotfl:

Oh no, you have gone and mentioned bass. You know the scary people will turn up soon all angry and publishing graphs 📉 🤣

Oh no, you have gone and mentioned bass. You know the scary people will turn up soon all angry and publishing graphs 📉 🤣
All looks satisfactory :
striped-bass-inforgraphic-v5@2x.jpg

I have this on Blu Ray and New Orders - Confusion Pump panel remix has been my ringtone for years

Like you said Cas, one of the greatest openings in an action film ever

Thank you Cas,

I can only reiterate what has already been said, This was pretty revolutionary in it's day!

Had this on my iTunes purchase list for a while, Especially since they had the trilogy available for £12.99.

All 3 films for £12.99 with the best one in 4K DV/Atmos.....No brainer, Instant purchase :D

EDIT: I cannot be the only one wanting to see that scene in blade 2 where they walk into the club in 4K/Atmos.......Bass in the place London! Probably my favorite scene in No.2 :thumbsup:

Thanks for the review Cas - you're spot on with the intro. Don't know how many times I watched this scene on my old Panasonic 480p projector with the original DVD and DD 5.1. That club scene was just brilliant in terms of visuals and audio....are real showcase.

I never got the Bluray so really tempted to get this as the upgrade will be awesome!
Ha ha same here - but on a 480p plasma panel.

Also never got the Blu-ray, so tempted by this when the price inevitably comes down.

Need to give the Director Stephen Norrington a lot of credit for this. Often overlooked. It always struck me that here was a major talent. Unfortunately the disaster that was The League of Extraordinary Gentleman led to him quitting directing and Sean Connery quitting acting, such was the collision between them on that movie's production.

Had the free 4k upgrade via itunes,but the wife went and picked up the 4k blu-ray up...it's insane never looked or sounded soooooooo good!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom