Blackwing problem

kcsun

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a problem with my "original" Cineversum blackwing. Going from left to right the picture gets greener and greener. I have disconnected all connections from the pj and it still does it, by flipping the picture in the menu the problem goes from right to left. I have contacted Cineversum who say I should send the unit back to them in Paris! They "think" that there is a problem with a card in the projector which will need changing - at a cost of £6000 - £8000 + carriage!
Although the pj is 4 years old I think that the cost of repair is unreasonable (the new cost of the pj was £19999)

I have also found a second Cineversum Blackwing with the same problem although they have not tried to have theirs repaired as yet. Could this mean that this problem is common with the Blackwing?

Any thoughts, should I pay for the repair, should I invest in a new pj with full warranty etc?
I am struggling to decide which way to go
kc

Welcome to the forums :hiya:

I must say I hadn't heard of Cineversum before.

Can you give us more info on the projector? the only reference to an original Blackwing is the One reviewed here , which says it originally retailed for ~£4000

The cost of repairs seems a tad ridiculous, and I would lean toward an upgrade, but if you have the specs to hand it would give me a better handle on what it's capability is.

Thank you for replying, the "original" Blackwing was released in 2006, Blackwing 1 + 2 + 3 did not arrive until later
I think the unit is based on a JVC DLA-HD10K pj
Here is the original brochure which should give you the info you are looking for
http://www.cineversum.com/pdf/CV_Blackwing.pdf

I think they are connected with Barco who you may have heard of

kc

Here are some photos showing the problem

i-ZDFWzhV-L.jpg

i-CXJ6wSp-L.jpg

i-QHvjT9N-L.jpg

i-jTb9rqM-L.jpg

i-dvQ57bC-L.jpg

i-FFKHSbj-L.jpg

In every day viewing it is not as noticeable as it shows without a picture

There certainly seems to be an image uniformity problem, I've seen something similar on a previous projector I've owned, but lived with it because it was a budget machine and perfection wasn't to be expected.

If it were me and I found the problem too annoying to live with I'd upgrade.

I wouldn't for a second entertain paying what they're asking for the repair, when you could upgrade to a much better projector for half that price.

IIRC, the original Cineversum blackwing was just a rebodied JVC HD1 - same internals but a different case and a higher price bracket. You can pick up second hand HD1s for a few hundred pounds, or if you get a newer JVC, a better projector at a cheaper price.

HTH

Gary

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom