1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blackout blinds - cheap pj screen?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by TheFatBoy, Aug 21, 2003.

1. TheFatBoy

TheFatBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm trying to get a cheap projector screen that's still going to give decent quality.

I was going to build/paint one, but I've since been told by the missus that she'd rather have a screen that can be easily hidden - partly because the only place it can go is over a double door from lounge into dining room! I agreed, so instead of having a fixed screen, I'm now looking for a roll-up one.

While looking around, I had a thought - if I were to buy a white blackout blind (such as this), what would the image look like? Couldn't be that bad, surely?

I thought if I were to go ahead with a blind, I'd take the locking mechanism out so the blind always wants to roll back up, screw a couple of hooks into the wall and hook the blind in to keep it as rigid as possible.

Anybody tried projecting onto one of these?

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    There should be loads of information on the balckout blind screens in here, have a search around.

:smashin:

3. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Ikea do a blackout blind in various sizes that is suitable. Haven't checked on their website but they have plenty in stock in Bristol. (just bought some to use as blackout blinds. How novel !!) Cost for a 2m wide screen (blind) £20!!!!

4. TheFatBoy

TheFatBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    £20! Is that all! Does that include fittings etc?

5. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Bit slow on the reply, Sorry! But yes, £20 includes the fixings. Metal bracket to fix to wall/ceiling and a plastic barrel with string running through to raise and lower the blind.

Put mine up at the weekend and have gone to a 6'6" image from 5'. Makes all the difference.

I'm now thinking about painting in a black boarder around the projected image using matt emulsion mixed with PVA. A few months back some others tried this and had success, although if anyone could comment on how well it has laster this would be useful. If it does go wrong another £20 won't break the bank!

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    It's what I use. Actualy, mine is pale grey (better blacks for an LCD projector). From John Lewis. About GBP50 for a 6 foot wide item. Wider gets more expensive due to it being a special order. Make sure you choose a fabric that has a completely MATT surface.

7. TheFatBoy

TheFatBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Any idea what sort of drop there is on the 2m blinds? Ideally, I need a 2m drop...

8. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    At a guess I would say the drop is about 1950mm as with other blinds on the web site.

They have two types, one with a white side and slightly grey side and the other which I have and has a slightly green tinge. They did not have any of the white of suitable (large!) size.

I've altered the projector settings and it appears to have compensated for the green and I am quite happy (for now) with the results especially given the cost!

9. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +730
    I have been searching on the ikea site for their blackout blind but couldnt find anything. If anybody knows how to find it could they please post a link.

sandy

10. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +730
    Got one from Ikea in glsagow at the weekend and it makes my set up look like a professional instal, I am very happy with it.

11. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The "search" feature on this board is quite powerful ;) ... this thread should provide all you need. :D

12. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I've now painted a black border on my blind using indian ink.

What a difference having a black border makes!!:clap:

Only problem is that as the ink dried it has caused the blind to ripple a bit. :thumbsdow

I might try replacing the wooden bar along the bottom with something a bit heavier to see if this pulls it flatter. It is a pity as I was thinking of putting up 2 blinds close together, one inked-in for 16:9 and one for 2.35:1

13. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    When I was in IKEA buying my blind I noticed they had some black sheet material .. wonder whether that might be an idea instead of paint, not sure how one might attach it to the blind though. :confused:

14. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    To attach your black sheet material you can do the following to make a 'blackstrip'.

Make a 'sleeve' at either end of your sheet material to insert a wooden baton top and bottom (flat is best, but thick enough not to bend). You can make your sleeve using a nice hot iron and some wonderweb material adhesive. Add a few staples to the rear of the baton to add strength.

The baton at top of the piece of material is to attach to your screen with a small spring clamp (FOCUS DIY do a pack of 5 clamps for about 90p)

The baton at the bottom of the piece of material adds weight and makes sure that you get a nice straight line around the image.

If required you can make a second 'blackstrip' to add to the bottom of your screen.

I've just done mine and it makes a huge difference.

The fact that spring clamps are used makes them very versatile and quickly adjustable for all forms of movie.

Mail me if you want a photo to show you what they look like.

Coop

15. TheFatBoy

TheFatBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sounds good mate... I can't quite picture what you're describing, so could you email me a pic (to greg[at]dvdlard.net) please?

Also, where did you get the wonderweb stuff from - and what type of material are you using (I'm imagining a felt like material that's completely matt)?

16. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Any ideas if these blinds (Ikea) are reasonably acoustically transparent? My room layout and projector throw dictates that the best place for the screen would be about a metre in front of the speakers. This is a real budget surround system, so I am not looking for perfection.

On another note, is the blind reversable, as I may want to "wall" mount it on the back of a beam?

17. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    They are quite thick and have a rubbery coating on one side so not too acoustically transparrent. For £20 it might be worth a try to see if the effect on sound is too pronounced for you. Might be worth setting the centre to phantom and seeing which is better (if you can do this on your system)

You can hang the blind either way round so off a beam should be fine.

18. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks, I might give it a try.

19. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    A word of warning on blinds, stay away from poly cotton blinds as they will eventually warp / ripple as the cotton dries (sometimes swells) with the relative himidity of the room. They are prone to the edges curing in on themselves also.

If you can afford a polyester based BO blind go for that, but you will tend to find these cost as much as a decent fiberglass based pvc coated blind as polyester sells on its aesthetics and fiberglas are seen as more trade / contract blinds.

Same old storey, you get what you pay for.

Regards,

Chris L.

20. maxiboy

maxiboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In response to Monster's earlier comment about using Indian ink to make a black border, I have just used black artist’s acrylic paint.

My screen is an old modified "slide projection" screen and to be honest very similar to black out material. (It is probably less thick than my Ikea black out blinds)

The acrylic didn't cause any rippling really, probably because it is less watery when you put it on.

For the top I have used a strip of hardboard which I had to attach a thin soft wood batten to make it stiff as the screen is 6’ wide. This strip is simply pegged to the top of the screen when you start the film and you have a crude but very effective form of variable masking.

I’m sure that loads of other people have done this but it is dead easy and really works. You obviously just pull the bottom of the screen down first to make sure that it correct for the aspect ratio that you want to watch.

I can post a picture is any of this is unclear.

The good news is that the total cost of this upgrade is approx £5……

21. Starkiller

Starkiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Im after a BO blind to go behind my screen, but my windows 2.29m wide Dunelm & B&Q stop at 2m wide

any ideas for longer widths

22. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    starkiller.

Most polyester based blackout blinds are made using a 2.0m wide fabric.

You can therefore get away with a circa 1.8m drop blind (allowing for edge trim / sticking to head rail / bottom rail) l and an unlimited width (depends on length of tube the manufacture buys.

Try people like
    AMO
    Hillary’s
    Decora
    www.blinds.co.uk/index.htm
    etc

You want polyester based BO (polycotton is cheaper but will eventually shrink / warp).

They all buy a quality called "Carina BO" and sell it under their own name.

I can recommend this quality, I sell it them from Germany, but they do also stock other inferior / makes!

Best of luck.

Regards,

Chris L.