1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blacking out part of a screen

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Rob_Quads, May 26, 2005.

1. Rob_Quads

Rob_Quads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I am looking at getting a drop down electric screen. The one i am looking at is a 1:1 format one.
    I would modify the screen so its a 16:9 screen with a black border above this. The screen I want to drop down around 10" from the ceiling i.e. 10" back borner along top.

i.e. From this...

[​IMG]

...to....

[​IMG]

What should I use to paint the screen without damaging it? Black Dye?

2. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Why do you need to paint it?

Can't you just have fold down pieces of black felt material or similar so that you can mask to the main aspect ratios. This is what I plan on doing. Painting your white screen seems a bit drastic just to achieve 16:9.

3. Rob_Quads

Rob_Quads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Fold down pieces of felt would not really fit in - the screen is going to be fitted flush into the ceiling so when its up you will barely know its there, so not really the sort of thing that I can then put a bit of cloth that drops down.

Don't really see it as drastic to achieve 16:9, both the screen and projector are going to be permanently fixed so even if i view a 4:3 show it would be only utilising part of the normal 16:9 screen so the larger screen gives me no benefit.

4. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Fair enough - what I meant by drastic is that 16:9 is fixed so you couldn't mask down then fully to say 2.35:1 without furher masking.

Perhaps someone else has some good ideas on a dye you could use like you suggest.