BlackGold BGT3540 and Windows 8

goatman

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to upgrade my HTPC from Windows 7 to Windows 8. I need to know if my Blackgold BGT3540 card will run OK in Windows 8. The Blackgold website lists no Windows 8 drivers, and Blackgold haven't responded to my two enquiries about whether the existing Win7 driver will work.

My HTPC is responsible for feeding all TV around the house via three Xboxes running as Windows Media Center extenders. My family would lynch me if I upgraded the machine to Windows 8 and the BGT3540 stopped working.

Is anybody out there running the BGT3540 on Windows 8 with the Windows 7 driver?

Thanks!

I have a bgt3620 which never worked properly with windows 7 (tuner unavailable error).

got it running (kinda) on windows 8 using mediaportal with an xbmc front end. Windows media centre found my tuner 1st time (win7 drivers) tunes in all of the channels and was claiming low signal quality at first but now works fine... hope the tuner loss problem is fixed :)

That being said I did have hassle installing wmc in the first place.. took a week and three requests for a product key and after that it refused to install. Had to refresh windows which created bootloops because it couldn't find the AHCI or XHD drivers -.-

It seems extremely unstable for now.

Thanks for your help. It's encouraging that you have at least proved that Blackold's Win7 driver for your card seems to work with Win8. My Win7 setup with the BGT3540 is already stable, and I already have a WMC activation code ready for the Win8 upgrade.

However, I'm still concerned because the BGT3540 is now an unsupported card (no more driver updates). I've emailed Blackgold again. None of the drivers on their website (for both legacy and current cards) make any mention of Windows 8 compatibility. It could be time for me to upgrade to the BGT3600, but I would definitely need Blackgold to tell me if the current driver worked with Win 8 before I shell out £170 on that.

Thanks again for your help.

nothing seems to have a windows 8 version yet but windows 7 drivers and programs seem to work as they should. i even have my tuner loss issue back -.-

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom