Blackgold 3620 S-Video

Vid1

Standard Member
I have a Blackgold 3620 TV card which has an analogue capture port.

The TV tuners are working, but I can't get any input from the analogue ports when playing from my camcorder via S-video or standard video output.

I have followed the intructions on the Blackgold site to allow the analogue ports to be recognised by MS Media Center, but the feed from the S-Video (or any of the other inputs) does not show in Media Center during configuration.

Using other software, the Blackgold Analogue port is shown, but again no input.

I am using the latest Blackgold drivers (8.1.1.2) which appear to be OK as I can watch digital TV using Media Center.

Can anyone help ?

STdrez625

Banned
I dont use media centre (yet) but have recently installed the blackgold. I have in the past used a USB analog capture device. However changing to the BG analog I noticed a detioration in quality of the input (s-video) so for the moment have continued using the usb capture device.
Software used is PowerDirector seven, on XP.
Unfortunately this doesnt allow changing or storing of any of the digital channels.
To summarize, I am not impressed with the quality obtained from the BG analog input. Perhaps with W7 it might be better, but it does work, on XP.
Will revisit when 7mc installed ... :smashin:

graham.myers

I have a customer who is having exactly the same problem with a BGT3600. I've plugged in a video source to the s-video connector and nothing appears in the 7mc config screen.

I'm trying with a dialogue with BG support but they write with quills and send via carrier pigeon. Not the fastest of support. When you do get a response its useful and detailed, but reply and you're waiting several more days despite pestering them. And I'm a reseller!

great cards, disappointing support. If I get an answer before you I'll post an update

Vid1

Standard Member
OK thanks, just to confirm my problem.

Windows 7 32 bit - TV tuners working but no video inputs from any of the external connectors.

The initial Media Center configuration (following the help document from the Blackgold site) did in fact show the S-video input, but since then I have not been able to see any video via the input cable for any type of signal.

I've re-installed the latest drivers and re-run the Media center setup, but still no video. I've also tried other video capture software with no success. the '7231 BDA DVBT Tuner' and '7231 BDA Analog Capture' devices are always listed, but only the tuner appears to work.

I've also emailed Blackgold, so I'll postback with any useful information.

spyder viewer

I hooked up a VCR to my HTPC via the BG analog input. As I recall, I started by only considering the analog side and was able to get it working. Wasn't great but did work! If you continue to have problems, I'll dig it out and investigate for you. I use W7HP.

Vid1

Standard Member
I have had another go without success, this time I removed all trace of the Blackgold drivers and the files within the \windows directory, removed the card and started from scratch.

Installation always goes OK and the tuners are working, but nothing works from the analogue video inputs using a variety of software. The device is always recognised, but no input is visible.

I know that the attached camcorder and S-Video cable is OK, as I've used it on another video capture device and PC, so it must be something wrong with the Blackgold software installation and/or hardware.

I'm still awaiting a reply from Blackgold to my original email, so until I get a response I'll have to wait.

This is quite frustrating, as one of the reasons for going with Blackgold was to have an analogue capture facility, as I want to use to convert my camcorder tapes!

spyder viewer

It's some time since I did this but fortunately I took some screen shots when I did it!

1.Re-install the tuner (no complaints about how long it took to get it just how you wanted).
2.Select "let me configure my TV signal manually".
3.Next screen "Do you have a set top box?" Yes
4. Not sure if this choice matters: next screen select analog antenna.
5. Next screen "Select a working tv signal".

Now I was trying to copy from vcr into the HTPC so I used a scart lead to composite and then the Blackgold lead to go from composite to s-video.

6.Connect your camera to the s-video socket. Start the camera playing back so there is a recogniseable source to detect.
7. Select composite video 1 or 2. The play back should appear in the preview window.

240438-albums2039-picture10905.jpg

8. Next screen "set top box configuration" select "select the set-top box from a list"
9. Next screen "select no of digits" two.
10. Enter the channel number and wait.
11. Next screen pick one! (you may have to try a few here).
12. Next screen: if it only says "no match works" go back and pick a different set top model. When you get a screen with a code on it eg S1451, select it (it's not important).
13. The next few screens are tests to check that your set-top box can change channels. Answer all questions affirmative.
13. Next screen: tv signal provider - choose Analogue terresterial unmapped line up.

As I haven't got any more screen shots I assume that that was all. So carry on the set-up as normal.

You then have to find in the channel list where BG/WMC have hidden the s-video.
It can be worth just setting up a set-top box initially.
If you still have no joy, come back and I'll do another set-up with more pictures etc. Fortunately I left the scart lead etc connected to the BG card.

If you get this to work: don't tell Blackgold (well they never tell us anything).;)

Last edited:

Vid1

Standard Member
When running through the Media Centre configuration it is only reporting a single DVB-T tuner and does not report an analogue device. (I have also tried scanning whilst playing through the S-Video input).

I have already tried your suggestion for configuring Media Center, in fact the very first time that I tried configuring Media Centre, it did correctly report the analogue device and I could see the S-Video input, but somewhere along the line I have re-configured and lost all recognition of the analogue device. Its also strange how it is now only reporting a single DVB-T tuner.

I have tried repeated re-installs of the card and drivers, but it seems to have lost the analogue input.

I'll just have to wait for Blackgold support, but thanks for your suggestions.

spyder viewer

I'll just have to wait for Blackgold support, but thanks for your suggestions.

Don't hold your breath: s-video is not supported by Blackgold.

Are you saying that you have followed to the letter my proceedure? Strange because it worked for me.

spyder viewer

I'm posting this because there are people out there who don't believe blackgold support exists (plus I just found it):

Quote from email:
"Dear Sir,

Analogue video within Media Center is somewhat problematic, to the extent we are no longer broadcasting this capability. The issues are with Media Center, the Analogue input is fine with other applications. However, please see the article below:

Set-up external analogue video input with Media Center - BlackGold

Kind regards,

BlackGold Support"

End of quote

Vid1

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply, I have followed your instructions and those of Blackgold for setting up the S-Video input without success.

The main issue appears to be that the Analogue input is not being detected. I have tried other capture software and again nothing can be seen from the S-Video/Composite inputs.

The result of the TV signal detection is that I only have the DVB-T tuner listed and nothing for the analgue inputs (see screen shot attached).

Attachments

• TVSignalResult.jpg
    TVSignalResult.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 141

spyder viewer

So what happens when you click on "no show more options"? Does it show two or more tuners?

How many tuners does it show in Device Manager?

Vid1

Standard Member
If I click on 'Show Details' it does show the other DVB-T tuner and a couple of cable tuners.

If I seelct 'No, show more options' it goes through the sequence of 'Configure my TV signal manually', 'Antenna', 'Set top box', 'Digital/Analogue antenna' and then 'Select a working TV signal' where selecting any of the options for S-Video/Composite/Channel does not show the live feed from my camcorder.

Device manager shows the blackgold device.

Screen shots attached.

Attachments

• TV Tuner2.jpg
    TV Tuner2.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 130
  • TV Tuner3.jpg.png
    TV Tuner3.jpg.png
    59.8 KB · Views: 121

spyder viewer

It's some time since I set up my tuners (but I will if it helps) but in normal mode, do you have two working tuners?

Vid1

Standard Member
I started with Media Centre detecting 2 DVB tuners and the analogue input (this was following the initial install of the 3620), since then I have lost the analogue tuner and now although Media Centre is aware of the second digital tuner it apparently cannot detect a TV signal which is a little strange as the signal can be detected for the first tuner.

The first digital tuner is working correctly in Media Centre.

spyder viewer

Can I suggest you follow BG's instructions to remove "old" drivers and re-install the BG tuner? I agree that as the tuners are linked internally for tv signal it can only be a software issue. If we can't get 2 tuners visible there's little point proceeding with the s-video.

Vid1

Standard Member
I've already re-installed a number of times following the Blackgold procedure, even to the extent of actually removing the card.

i.e.

1) Download and unzip the backgroundscan registry key: backgroundscan.reg

2) Uninstall the BlackGold drivers.
3) Delete the existing driver files... Delete all files beginning with 11317231* in C:\Windows\
4) Double click on and apply the registry switch backgroundscan.reg.
5) Power off restart the PC.
6) For BGT3620 & BGT3595 ensure that the latest drivers are loaded (version 8.1.0.0 at time of writing), or latest appropriate driver for other cards.
7) Ensure Media Center is restarted and that a new set-up and re-tune are completed.

spyder viewer

Well you've either got a damaged card, or a defective installation and until we can get the BG working as a plain vanilla dual tuner, it's a little difficult to make any recommendations.

Vid1

Standard Member
OK, having just repeated the entire re-install procedure again the second tuner has re-appeared ! (see screen shot), but still no analogue device available and no analogue input detected.

Attachments

• TV Tuner4.jpg
    TV Tuner4.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 120

spyder viewer

I'll re-install my tuner tomorrow if necessary and get your answer!

spyder viewer

ok, a few basics. I'm running w7HP 32 bit. The bg driver is 8.1.1.1.
I'm using the s-video lead supplied by BG. I connect a 4 pin s-video lead into the BG black socket and red and a white rca phono into the red/white pair (not the triple).

Last edited:

spyder viewer

Start the tv set up routine.
When you get to the TV detection result screen, select "no show more options"
NEXT
"Let me configure my tv manually"
NEXT
"Antenna"
NEXT
Do you have a set-top box "Yes"
NEXT
"Digital antenna"
NEXT
Follow on-screen instructions
NEXT
The next screen shows all the s-video sources. For me, WMC scans them all and stops at the first working source, I get stereo sound and video. WMC has selected S-video, however, I get a clearer picture with Composite Video 1 so I select that.

If at this point you get no image or sound, then the problem lies with your source or lead. I have another lead with various video/audio I/Os which does not work at all.

NEXT
Set top box configuration, select the set-top box from a list
NEXT
Two digits
NEXT
Enter the channel number and wait
NEXT
Select any other than "not listed"
NEXT
Select any except "no match works"
NEXT
The video should be visible in a window. Press 1 then select "channel changed correctly"
NEXT
"the channel changed correctly"
NEXT
NEXT
Select your freeview transmitter.
NEXT
Set up another tv signal: Yes
NEXT
Antenna
NEXT
If they are showing, de-select the DVBC tuners
NEXT
Do you want to set up another tv signal: No
NEXT
Should show sources to be set up: 1 set-top box and two tuners.
NEXT
Will download program guide and scan for Freeview channels.
FINISH

looking in the programme guide, it has put the vcr as channel 726 and when I select it the source plays correctly.

If anybody wants to set up any other source (freesat set-top box etc) let me know.

Vid1

Standard Member
I don't get any video or sound when entering the video sources screen and the analog capture device is not listed as being available on the TV Tuner Detection Result screen.

I know that my cable is OK as the first time I installed I did see video, I have also used the cable for another video capture device on a different PC.

So, I think I'll have to wait for Blackgold to respond.

Vid1

Standard Member
Still no reply from Blackgold. My original email was sent on 22/12/2011 with a follow up on the 2/1/2012.

I can understand a delay due to Christmas, but no reply after this period of time does question the ability of Blackgold to support their customers.

graham.myers

I spoke with Tony, the owner of BG yesterday to discuss this issue and another issue I have with BG cards.

He advised that unless you follow the instructions to the letter then it wont work. I said I thought I had but would try it again and advise. He then said if I still struggled then he would talk me through it over the phone.

If that works, and I work out what I do differently then I'll add to this thread.

One thing on the instructions, its says it has to be an s-video source. That is not true, it can be composite too!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung teases 76-inch MicroLED TV plus flagship Q950A soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Amazon Music fully available on Android TV and Google TV platforms
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony announces A90J UK/EU price and March availability
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th February 2021