1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blacker than black

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Moleshome, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Moleshome

Moleshome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Running DVE through my TH37PW7 I am unable to see the blacker than black on the pluge is that normal for this display?

2. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Really? I can see the blacker than black on my D6. I'm sure I can get it to show blacker than black on d7's. What is your DVD player? How is it connected to the plasma?

Gordon

4. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    I have a sony 535 DVD player and it won't show the blacker than black, but my HK DVD 25 should.

5. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    DVD players vary enormously in quality. 1 DVD player can show the image while another will struggle. If you are having this problem I am sure that DVE tells you how to adjust things in a slightly different way. :)

6. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was being very flipant wasn't i ! Sorry!
    Using the DVE disc, you will need to adjust contrast until the third "blacker than black" bar dissolves completely into the background, but not more. The DVE disk gives you a "blacker than black" signal, or maybe better described as "below black" signal to work with. Some combinations of equipment will NOT even let you see it and some do.but with the right player and properly set up you can indeed see "blacker than black"
    I am sure Gordon can help you in this matter.

:oops:
    Note when i first read this post i thought moleshome said he was able to see blacker than black and i even checked that his post wasn't edited it just shows i make mistakes(but if you are using a s**ty DVD player i could have been right by not reading your post correctly :suicide: :D )

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    I'd adjust Brightness not contrast when you're dealing with black detail. As has been said some DVD players do not pass blacker than black. With a plasma I wouldnt be in a hurry to be able to see it anyway. This is because plasma's tend to show noise in dark detail more than crt or lcd. So if you adjust to see graduations of greyscale from below black up to black you're going to get a nasty noisy image...imho

Gordon

8. Moleshome

Moleshome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVD player is a Sony DVP-NS700V connected via a JS RGB>VGA, I've tried cranking up the brightness and contrast and there's no sign of the third bar.

I may just be going blind because I can't see anywhere to adjust the colour settings either.