Blackberry Playbook OS 2.0 queries

Discussion in 'Tablets Forum' started by gino_76ph, Sep 5, 2012.

1. gino_76ph

gino_76ph
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi there!

I am planning to buy a tablet to use the internet, check apps for news/weather/shopping/restos, play the latest games, Youtube, make notes, watch my movies whilst on my holiday.

I'm looking at the Playbook and with the new 2.0 OS is it worth it? I have some serious queries & concerns if the Playbook is worth the plunge and worth the money.

1. Can it send any files via bluetooth to any bluetooth-enabled device?
    2. Does it wake-up/start-up really quick like the iPad or those new Android 4.0 tablets?
    3. Can it play on its own .avi & .mkv files without the use of an app?
    4. Can it auto-connect to a neafby wifi if available?
    5. Can i now access/download a handful of Android apps like what i have heard? If yes is this via the App World or as a different folder or "main" app?
    6. How many hours can it do if with just "minimal" use? (surfung the net, downloading an app whilst watching a movie or playing games)
    7. Can it do multitasking like the iPad or an Android 4.0 tablet?
    8. Can one easily access running apps and easily cancle/stop them?
    9. Is there a notification bar (like Android) to access common settings, etc.

I believe these questions are really important in helping me decide what tab to choose.

Shall i stick to the tried-and-tested Android 4/4.1 tablet like the Nexus 7 et al or can the Playbook do all those ones i mentioned above?

Please advice.

2. pafchgv

pafchgv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    hi i can't personally answer all your questions but check out crackberry, if you post them on there you will get all the answers you need.

the start up is slower than the ipad but it can definetly multitask and the operating system is really good and the swiping works really well and the build quality is excellent and one of the big positives is that it is getting the blackberry 10 update when that comes out scheduled for the first quarter of next year. one negative is not so much a lack of apps but the uk pricing is £1=$1 so we are paying more than the us and the eurozone plus some of the apps are very expensive monopoly is £7.00 and galaxy of fire 2 hd is £10.00 and on the ipad i think there a couple of quid at most but hopefully with the update and a bigger range of apps and userbase the prices will become more comperable.

3. gino_76ph

gino_76ph
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Where do i access uploaded files? (such as music or movies)

Can i drag n' drop files from my Mac to my Playbook with ease and with no help of a 1st-party or 3rd-party app or software?

Would the notifications bar be like Android wherein you can change settings, turn-off bluetooth, etc.?

And about the issue of Android apps the answer i got is a bit unclear. How and where exactly do i download Android apps? Is there a separate Android "player" app to click and then /browse/download apps & games like Google Play?

Can it connect to a nearby WIfi automatically?

Can it play AVI & MKV files?

I need to have the confidence of owning a Playbook and be able to say "I can do that task with ease and with no problems".

4. gavmiller

gavmiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    I've owned my Playbook for a week and it's a resounding yes to everything you've asked. Very good web browser, better multitasking than my iPad 3.

AVI and MKV support out the box in the built in Video App.

Android apps, some are in the App Store but you won't know which ones are Android. Others have to be sideloaded. Takes 10 mins to setup and then you can load up converted Android apps like Dropbox and Kindle for example.

Guide here: Blackberry Playbook Android Apps | Good e-Reader Android App Market and Store - Playbook App Market and Store

5. shepster34

shepster34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've had mine a few days now and have not put it down. The os is smooth and slick and the use of swiping is superb. I wasn't sure about a 7inch tablet at first but now I think it's a perfect size, large enough to read full websites yet still small enough to carry around. Typing is also great as my hands are large enough to type with both hands while holding it. I've updated to 2.1 which is a beta but is great so far. What I love most about the tablet is you can transfer files using your wifi network so if you want to add a new movie you don't even have to plug it into the pc. Just a quick note on mkv, while it mkv's fine, it won't play ac3 audio, this needs go be converted to mp3. I use a free software to convert mine.

6. gino_76ph

gino_76ph
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    How do i transfer my files from my Macbook Air to my Playbook exactly?

Still unclear about this sideloading Android apps. From what i know there are roughly 60,000 apps in the App World. is that a mixture of BB & Android apps? Or are Android apps not included in that *rough estimate* list?

I'm looking for a specific app on the online version of the App World and it's telling me there is a good chance it won't be on the device's App World either.

7. gavmiller

gavmiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    What App are you looking for?

8. JonnyTester

JonnyTester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    You can either download Playbook-compliant Android apps from Blackberry App World directly to the Playbook or if you prefer to get your Android apps elsewhere, you can use a method known as "sideloading" which entails putting the Playbook into developer mode (takes 10 secs to setup) and use a piece of software on your pc called DDPB to transfer the Android apps to the Playbook. It works very well. But the Android apps MUST be Playbook-compliant.

You can even get the software and developer keys required to auto-recode and sign existing apps to make them Playbook-compliant.

And at £129 delivered for the 64Gb from Currys, surely its worth taking a chance? I bought 2 for my daughters for Christmas last week and showed one to my dad on Saturday and my mum is buying him one for Christmas as well. He was especially taken with the photo and video quality.