BlackBerry 8310 Curve and internet setup

alisave

Standard Member
I have a blackberry 8310, but I haven't got a blackberry package from my provider, Orange. Is there a way for getting the internet on the phone without buying the BB package?

Thanks

Russ

HI
The answer to your question is YES !

I have just come off Blackberry Enterprise on Vodafone down to a frugal Asda PAYG tariff (8p/min + 4p/text + 20p/MB data).
I upgraded my Curve 8310 to software version 4.5 using instructions from another forum that cant spell Blackberry (C........) and deleted the email and browser service books. This upgrade gives you video, word, excel and ppt viewer and voice recording. Well worth it. I lost no data.

For browsing I use Opera Mini for Blackberry and for mail I access my gmail account using google mobile Mail app. It all works great and means that although I don't have google push email, I can pull it when I want. For GPS navigation I use NAV4ALL (Google maps uses lots of data !).

Hope that gives you confidence ! YOU DONT NEED A BB Service to keep using your phone !

R

alisave

Standard Member
thats great
i have installed opera mini on my blackberry, but how do i configure the settings to connect the internet?

Ian J

Banned
I upgraded my Curve 8310 to software version 4.5 and deleted the email and browser service books. This upgrade gives you video, word, excel and ppt viewer and voice recording. Well worth it. I lost no data.

I upgraded the software yesterday and lost all of my data. The contacts weren't a problem as I uploaded them again but I was annoyed to lose all of my saved text messages and photos and I even have to pair it to the other Bluetooth devices again

Russ

Strange. I lost a couple of texts but that was all. You did back up the phone didnt you ? I found that initially my photos weren't there, but using the advanced backup option, I found that the back up 'content store' was bigger than the phones content store and the difference was my photos. I just then copied that over. Hope this helps.(suggestion, save your photos e.t.c. to the media card and remove that before doing the upgrade).
I didnt need to re-pair to my bluetooth incar unit.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom