1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blackberry 7730 or mmO2 XDA II ??

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by dealmaker, Aug 6, 2004.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Guys,

I need to have e-mail access away from the office - one friend has recommended the o2 XDA 2 because it has Microsoft software - another swears by his new Blackberry 7730.

My IT guy at the office seems to like the Blackberry solution (it will integrate with MS Exchange) - but to me the user interface looks a bit clumpy.

Anybody got and direct experience of either o :confused: f these units?

Thanks

2. cutes6

cutes6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Dealmaker I have had the Blackberry for 3 months now and I couldn't imagine being without it.

I do not use many of the features and I have no experience of the other unit to compare however.

It integrates well with outlook and does all the things I need very well and seems to work everywhere something my Orange does not do.

My battery lasts for around a week which is great.

3. nabby

nabby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,518
    I've just got the Orange SPV M1000 which is the XDA II but on Orange. It is excellent, very easy to use, integrates really well with my pc at home and work, and can runloads of third party apps including TomTom Navigator sat nav software! SanDisk have recently launched a wifi SD card with 256 megs of memory built into it as well. I want me one of those babies soon :)

Highly recommended!

4. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Guys,

Thanks for that!

With regard to the differences - my IT guy seems to think that the main difference is that the Blackberry is easier fo him to set up on our MS exchange server so I will always get a copy of every e-mail in real time i.e. the Blackberry is "always on" - and e-mails sent to my work e-mail address will insantaneously be coped to my Blackberry - whereas the XDA needs to "ping" a POP3 account (which I'd need to set up separately) to pick up e-mails?

He just thinks that the Blackberry will be an easier integration prospect on our system and foresees issues with the XDA.

From my side my main concern is that the Blackberry (Non MIcroSoft) operating system will be more difficult to use?

Thoughts??

5. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Hi

one of the problems with a Blackberry is once working people (both senders and recievers) assume that all emails are getting through - Very dangerous!

I remember sitting the the office the other day listening to one of my collegues complaning about the emails suddenly not being picked up, so he assumed that he had no emails only to return to his desk to find several in his inbox but still none in the blackberry - and of course no body knew why

RON

6. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    My wife has a Blackberry and it's the equivalent of texting for the thirty-somethings... Really gets on my tits!!!

7. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Simon,

Thanks for the observation - I'm only getting something because I really need it, not a pent up desire to keep up with the "texters"

I'd be interested in your wifes views on it though (the BlackBerry that is)

8. inkinoo

inkinoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Unless you get the whole corporate BlackBerry package (BlackBerry Enterprise Server and corporate BlackBerries), there is virtually no point in getting a personal BlackBerry.

The personal BlackBerries are NOT instantaneous and do not sync the calendar over the air. Unfortunately the corporate solution is quite expensive but there is absolutely no better way to get email.

And most BlackBerry rage comes from those who don't have one :)

9. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My IT guy talked to O2 today - they declined to sell/offer us an XDA solution - instead we are getting a trial package of 5 of the latest BlackBerries and the Blackberry Enterprise Server software package.

This will give us live and instant e-mail and calender updating - supposedly it is a very good transparent system - I can update my calender remotley and get immediate notification of e-mails without needing to log on.

Sounds GOOD! :clap:

10. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Update.

Got the Blackberry up and running now - utilising Blackberry Enterpise Server on our exchange server. My laptop is suddenly redundant.

What can I say - AMAZING what this thing can do.

yeah the UI is a bit cluncky but you can't fault the functionality and capability! And you get used to the quirks.

Think I'm going to buy shares in RIM on the back of this! :thumbsup: