1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black 'window' on 32PW9527

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Gordon A, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Gordon A

Gordon A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    After my fun and games with the geometry on the PW9527 last week, have switched it on tonight to find that there's a black 'window' approximately 20% from the bottom of the screen, stretching 90% across the screen, whose aspect doesn't vary when the picture mode is changed. It's roughly 3" in height and won't go away. Have tried the 'switch it off and on' method but to no avail. Any ideas before I do what I should have done in the first place: ring the retailer for a new one!

2. greenthumb

greenthumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aha so i wsant seeing things. Does it move when u change from pixel plus mode to digiscan? Mine dissapeared out the bottom when changing to scan.

Had an engineer round today and of course it didnt do it.
    As for my wavy edges on 4:3 format he said this is NORMAL and that my set was "pretty good" compared to most sets.
    Something to do with tube alignment being wonky due to poor tolerances in the factory due to being mass produced.
    He says two choices
    1 Live with it
    2 Change the set and probably get another one with some other irritating little fault.

Quality control seems to be very poor when it comes to electrical equipment. I think as a nation we dont complain enough as the big companies seem to be getting away with all too often.

Hope your bar goes away

3. Gordon A

Gordon A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Yep, mine moves down off the screen when changing modes. As you've probably guessed, the 'black window' is still on the screen!! When/how did yours disappear? Looks like I'll be on to the retailers first thing tomorrow to get it replaced.

4. Gerbil

Gerbil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    My 9617 went back to John Lewis for exactly this reason. It went away for repair and came back exactly the same. John Lewis's repairers then claimed that it was normal and all widescreen Philips TVs were the same. It's up to you as to whether you can live with it, but what annoyed me about it was that the amount of wavyness depended on how bright the picture was. Watching a normal film with transitions from light to dark you could watch the sides of the picture bow in all sorts of wonderful ways. A lot harder to ignore than a constant static bend. It was also apparent that the distortions extended to all other modes, but were just harder to spot as there were no convenient black edges to judge it by.

I ended up with a Loewe and the edges in 4:3 mode are definitely not wavy. Its got other problems but thats another story....

I suggest you take a wander round the store and compare with the other ones on display. If their not as bad as yours then demand a replacement. If they are then consider another model.

5. Gordon A

Gordon A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Switched it on this morning and it has now disappeared! The rest of it is fine - now! - so will see if this black window thingy reappears again, and if there were any conditions that made it appear.