Black Widow screen paint - how glossy?

jumguf

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone :)

I'm about to dive into making a 100" Black Widow screen on MDF; found the Aluminum paint and the last obstacle seems to be getting the right base paint for the job, as I'm here in Denmark, Scandinavia.

Neither Johnstone's or Dulux seem to be available here, so I'm trying to find a similar paint, which should be fairly easy as far as tinting goes, because the NCS color code should be the same everywhere. But the amount of gloss/sheen seems to be a total secret, and the only technical info I've been able to locate on the prescribed paints (Johnstone's Covaplus Vinyl Matt Finish or Dulux Vinyl Matt) regarding this, is apparently just "Matt" .... boom.

So what's the deal? I know it should be matt and to some degree wipeable, but how much gloss? The scale for this here in Denmark I imagine must be the same as anywhere else, ranging from 1-100, with 5 as the norm for a very matt surface, some even going down to 2, but then usually not very well suited for washing/wiping.
Where are we with this? Anybody know anything?

Thanx in advance! :)

I know mine is quite flat looking at it. I would say normal matt should be about right. The alloy car paint is for the little bit of shine.

Ok, sounds like a straight 5 is the way to go. I have a normal matt wall paint, thats 7, and this would appear to be a bit on the shiny side, so ... ;-)
Now I just gotta decide whether to use a roller or try going for a spray job, although I have no experience with this. But many say it will yield the very best result, so I imagine that if I just practised a bit first, it will work out? :-D

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom