Black Widow paint question

(GTV)Chris

Hi,
Was going to give this paint mix a go, just to see how it performs. I can reveal results etc.
I have bough the fine aluminium metalic paints and now need to find the grey paint.
Now, I have read people saying Dulux Grey steel 2 is best, but it's very hard to find or really expensive.
With some research I have found that Dulux Chic shadow is the same as grey steel 2?
Although Chic shadow has some bad reviews online saying it has either a lilac or blue tinge to it.
The question, is, has anyone in the UK found a very good grey alternative to use with the aluminium fine base?

Many thanks
Chris

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
Hi,
Was going to give this paint mix a go, just to see how it performs. I can reveal results etc.
I have bough the fine aluminium metalic paints and now need to find the grey paint.
Now, I have read people saying Dulux Grey steel 2 is best, but it's very hard to find or really expensive.
With some research I have found that Dulux Chic shadow is the same as grey steel 2?
Although Chic shadow has some bad reviews online saying it has either a lilac or blue tinge to it.
The question, is, has anyone in the UK found a very good grey alternative to use with the aluminium fine base?

Many thanks
Chris
Join AVSForums and PM MississippiMan, his profession is doing the very thing you are looking, he developed his paint formula and goes all over the world painting both professional cinema venues and domestic screens. He could definitely steer you in the right direction.

(GTV)Chris

Join AVSForums and PM MississippiMan, his profession is doing the very thing you are looking, he developed his paint formula and goes all over the world painting both professional cinema venues and domestic screens. He could definitely steer you in the right direction.
Thanks. I’ll certainly have a look over there. Dulux also got back to me with some help on getting grey steel 2 mixed :).

sim12

Grey steel is now known as "shadow chic" apparently because the formula has changed the need for AAA is now down to personal choice rather than being part of the black widow mix. Given the fact that AAA is now not really needed it's beyond me why it's called Black widow mix as it's simply now just grey paint and how light or dark you would go is subjective, the darker shade = darker blacks, duller whites, the lighter shade = lighter blacks, brighter whites.

(GTV)Chris

Grey steel is now known as "shadow chic" apparently because the formula has changed the need for AAA is now down to personal choice rather than being part of the black widow mix. Given the fact that AAA is now not really needed it's beyond me why it's called Black widow mix as it's simply now just grey paint and how light or dark you would go is subjective, the darker shade = darker blacks, duller whites, the lighter shade = lighter blacks, brighter whites.
Lol, that made me giggle... "It's simply now just grey paint"!
I just wanted to paint the room grey anyway to help with the contrast. My wife won't let me paint it black. So thought I could squeeze a load of the AAA in and test it out as I know it wouldn't change the colour that much.
I'll still give it a go and report my findings :)

sim12

Lol, that made me giggle... "It's simply now just grey paint"!
I just wanted to paint the room grey anyway to help with the contrast. My wife won't let me paint it black. So thought I could squeeze a load of the AAA in and test it out as I know it wouldn't change the colour that much.
I'll still give it a go and report my findings :)
The claim is that by adding the AAA it may help under a microscope on the original mix you could see the aluminium and so that would help with the contrast and then their was meter reading to back that up if memory serves, but now the paint has changed the word is add the AAA it may help but if you read the BW thread it's very subjective but for the most part in the later years most people say that there is no difference.

The latest video from AVForums

LG C1 OLED TV Best Picture Settings for SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom