Black Widow 2016

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jlparsons, Dec 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. jlparsons

jlparsons
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    OK, I've now read up the various Black Widow UK threads and am just about up to date (phew!). However there's one question I have that hasn't been answered so far as I can see.

Dulux would have us believe that their lumitec paint reflects more light and it looks as if the chap who set us on the road to BWUK was trying to mix this with Auto Air Aluminium to make a grey which is very reflective, improving blacks whilst preserving whites.

This was discovered to have a blue bias, so the lumitec was swapped out for another paint with a specific tint calculated to offset this bias, presumably (if dulux are correct) at a loss of reflectivity?

Now AAA has lost it's tint, but rather than dropping back to lumitec the current BWUK uses a grey paint like dulux grey steel. My question is this - would lumitec mixed with however much AAA you need to get the grey you want produce a higher reflectivity than an AAA and Grey Steel mix? Thus getting the blacks and colours we want without effectively sacrificing lumens?

Is it simply the case that AAA can't get a white paint grey enough, or is there no advantage to the lumitec in reality?

Or, is there an upper limit to the AAA that can be added without some negative effect (hot spots, sparkles)? If that is the case, would mixing a Steel Grey 2/3 shade from lumitec absolute white and a neutral black offer any advantage by preserving the lumitec base?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  2. sim12

sim12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    There is a thread over on avsforums that might explains things better for you, some guys have done some serious research and spent some real time getting this right . If there is a better way of doing this paint they would have discovered it by now ..

As you will know having read the full thread some say adding the AAA makes no difference , other's swear by it .

I have tried them all now and have actually settled on a pure brilliant white lumitec paint
    As my preference was a brighter image and take a small sacrifice on the dark colours which I would also argue is minimul to say the least...

It's all very subjective and what one person says is impressive , other's may not , oh then there's your cinema room or bat cave that can effect results also .lol.

3. jlparsons

jlparsons
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I asked dulux if they'd mix me some steel grey 3 using lumitec as the base - answer was a polite no and advice that I shouldn't mix lumitec with any other paint. I am tempted therefore to mix my own grey from lumitec and pure black testers to match steel grey 3, then measure the light intensity bounced off them under controlled conditions. I suspect it'll be exactly the same - logic suggests the only difference between white and grey IS the amount of light it returns - but it'd be an interesting experiment at least.

My screen is going to be made by screwing a 100" spruce plywood sheet to a brand new stud wall, so I could paint that wall as many different shades as I like until I work out which is best then paint the wall black and make the screen proper.

Of course, a lot depends on the extent to which I can be bothered... ;)

4. sim12

sim12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    Just out of interest what pj are you using ?

5. jlparsons

jlparsons
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Most likely an Optoma HD-142x. Not entirely sure yet how dark I'm going to be able to paint the room though as it's going to be a study as well as a home theatre.

Also out of interest, what PJ are you using?

6. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    At my viewing distance (2.6m), I found adding 1 part AAA Fine to 4 parts Dulux GS1 was far too speckly and hotspotty for my liking. I painted over it with just GS1 and in my room, which isn't a bat cave, blacks are excellent and so are whites. If anything, there is still a little too much sheen from the Dulux Endurance formula for my liking but I think I can live with it. I'd recommend trying with and without AAA to see if it works for you at your viewing distance.

7. jlparsons

jlparsons
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I was wondering this - the endurance matt formula has a slight sheen then? I note GS2 is available in both endurance matt and flat matt, I was wondering.

Thanks for your comments, will have to experiment I think! My viewing distance will be very much the same as yours.

8. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    My screen is a retractable so I think I need the more durable qualities of the endurance formula, otherwise I think I'd go flat matt. But yes, it does have a little sheen, nowhere near as strong as a satin or silk satin paint though.

9. sim12

sim12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    I'm running a panny pt-at6000e , prior to that a optoma 131xe.
    You also have take in to consideration that your a pj can any achieve so much , the step up in quality from my optoma to panny was night and day and I was told this prior to buying and was not disappointed .

If I was starting out again into the pj market I would buy second hand from here and get a lot more for my money .

10. jlparsons

jlparsons
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Was thinking of going up a couple of notches, but will probably go budget for now and see how much I actually use it first!

11. sim12

sim12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    If it's your first pj , the 90 screen will just blow you away no matter what pj you get , it really is just something else , then after a while them demons creap in ,man always want better .lol.

I can't speak for others but I only watch maybe 2 or 3 films per week on mine some times more some times less, it is by no means a replacement for my tv , not that your suggesting that but you get the idea.

12. jlparsons

jlparsons
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I'm tempted to think I'll use it a lot, but probably not daily. I'd be surprised if the novelty wears off but equally I'd be surprised of we use it enough to warrant a much bigger spend. Gut feeling we'll run it for 4-5 years till £300 buys you a 4000 lumen 4k HDR LED smart projector.

Or, thinking back on 2016, until the apocalypse. ;)