Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

black&white zelda with action replay!!!

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by keyser, May 9, 2003.

1. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought a freeloader for the single purpose of playing PAL zelda on my NTSC cube.. but that didn´t work. Then I read on the net that the action replay would work, so I bought that. With that I can only get zelda in black and white!! What´s the problem?

If I use the action replay.. do I need to have 2 memory cards, one for my NTSC games and another for my PAL games. Don´t the get reset once you switch a region game?

Can I play pal games and stick to my s-video cable?

2. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    PAL Zelda is protected against FL IIRC.

Why not buy a US copy pf Zelda??

3. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Because unless the game supports 60hz, then the game will try to launch in NTSC 50 which supported by only a handful of multi-standard televisions

4. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ono,

because I allready have the PAL one and I get PAL games for a good price, and I have to order NTSC games from the usa.

phenom2003,

Is this any different with Zelda than other games. Why does that run in ntsc 50? In PAL Zelda ONLY runs in PAL60.

5. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless a game is programmed to alter the GC's output it will run in 50hz, but due to the fact that it is NTSC hardware outputs the NTSC system, while the GC software outputs 50hz because the hardware hasn't been commanded by the software to change to 60hz. If the game supports 60hz then obviously outputs in standard NTSC 60hz. I don't own Zelda but if it has a 60hz option enable it, that will give you colour (providing your TV is NTSC compatible). Just remember before you buy PAL software to make sure it can be played in colour. Otherwise you'll have to buy a new multi-standard (read expensive) TV

P.S are you using a black and white T.V :D

6. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oh my... from all the sales guys and the people on the net I have NEVER heard that the PAL games would HAVE TO support pal 60 in order for me to get colour!

I have a 29" sony trinitron that supports ntsc, but I don´t know about pal60.. I would think so.

In the back if Zelda it states "only 60hz".. so I presume that I should get colour which I don´t.

Do you know if Timesplitters 2 PAL has an 50-60hz option, because I can get it for cheap to check this out.

If this is the case with the action replay then I´m pretty ****** everyone failed to mention this to me.

7. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the tv supports NTSC it will 99% of the time have pal 60 compatibility, but only 1% will have ntsc 50. Are you using an RGB lead? this is the most likely the cause for a black and white picture if the game DOES support 60hz,as some TV's only support NTSC through scart or on other TV's colour is only achieved through RGB.

P.S are you sure the TV isn't a black and white one:rotfl:

8. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It´s a NTSC cube.. they don´t have "RGB" leads, but component is a form of RGB.. but my TV doesn´t have component inputs. I tried both composite and S-video with the same results.

I do have a component cable even though I can´t use it.. I wonder if there is a cheap component to RBG scart module thingie available that might cure my zelda problem... and even give me better PQ than the S-Video?

I´m not quite sure if it´s a colour TV.. it doesn´t say in the manual :)

9. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Keyser, I may be wrong, but I believe that it's only the bonus disk that is 60 hz only, and for Wind Waker itself, you'll need to hold down B to activate 60 hz when you put the game disc in. Otherwise, you'll need to get one of groundy's RGB cables. What does the bonus disk do when you try and play that?

10. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks.. I´ll check out the bonus disk this evening.

If that´s the case.. then ONLY games with PAL60 work with the action replay? How many games are that?

11. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I Think there are about 20 games available at the moment with PAL 60 capibilities.

It is illegal to sell games in europe on their own without pal 50 options, but the bonus disk is seen as a 'bonus' so then they would only have to program the games for 60hz

I also second T-Force, get one of Groundy's RGB cables, exellent PQ or so I have been told. Anyway RGB is a lot better than s-video, and composite?, well I think you'll know the answer to that

12. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So there are only about 20 pal games that I can play with the Action Replay!! :) But they make it out to be this crackseverything playsoneverything deal??

I live in Iceland so getting his cable would be a pain and expensive, and I´m no good with wires. So I was really hoping there was some plug where you could plug component in and get RGB scart out??

13. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    www.lik-sang.com

These sell an RGB cable for about £15 I think, although the quality is nothing compared to a decently done modded RGB cable.

Richard

14. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    as the pal bonus disc is 60hz only, has anyone tried it in an ntsc machine with no freeloader ??

if they didnt bother converting the us disc to pal, they may not have bothered putting region protection on it either.

15. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you do not have Component Video capability on your TV, then you really would benefit from having a high quality RGB cable. Admittedly the cable is expensive (due to cost of parts) but it would still be cheaper than the cost of any Component to RGB transcoder :).