1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black & White XBox - Help please

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Messiah, Apr 22, 2002.

1. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I have my XBox connecetd via the advanced SCART lead to a S-VHS video which is in turn connected via an S-VHS lead to a Sony home cinema amp. Also connected to the amp, via S-VHS leads, are my TV and a Sony projector.

For some strange reason the XBox video is in full colour when the amp is switched to output video to the TV but when you output it to the projector it is in B&W only. I have tried every menu setting on the projector but cannot get it to display a colour image.

Anyone got any ideas? This is baffling me as the signal being output by the amp will be the same for the TV and projector so I am presuming it is the projector that is at fault. However, the projector supports PAL, NTSC, RGB, Compsoite, S-VHS etc so am totally baffled as to why it will not work.

One of the main reasons for purchasing an XBox was to use it through the home cinema system so any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Neil

2. EffTee

EffTee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'd try connecting the XBox directly into the projector, just to test what happens. It may be something to do with you routing through the VCR, which could be adding macrovision into the output signal. The projector may be more susceptible to the signal than the TV.

Worth trying to eliminate one potential source of the problem.

EffTee

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Well, connected the XBox directly to the projector (Sony VPL900) and it only gives a black and white picture. Crikey, this isn't a cheap projector and to be honest I am amazed that the XBox is s ending out a dicky signal. My PS2 and every other piece of AV kit works just fine.

Anyone else any ideas.

Thanks.

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Well, I've tried just about everything including purchasing a new (different make) Advanced SCART cable. I still cannot get a colour picture on the Projector.

If anyone has any ideas or similar experience I really would be very grateful of a potential fix or pointers which may get me looking in the right direction.

Thanks again.

5. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have an x-box but the standard video output would be composite.

You have selected s-video on the x-box menu havent you?

6. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    There is no such option in settings. What I have found though is even if I take the composite lead from the XBox and plug it into a composite input on the amp (Sony STR-DA50ES) and then output it to the projector I still only get a black and white picture. Perfect colour on the plasma screen but only B&W on the pj.

I'm guessing the pj just can't interpret the signal properly and as it is now 2 years old (but only 200 hours use) I am going to look at some of the newer DLP projectors with a view to changing.

Anyone know how a new DLP pj will compare to the Sony VPL-S900E LCD model?

7. stubags

stubags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would imagine that either the signal going into the projector is not s-video, and the projector is expecting s-video, or the signal is s-video and the projector is not expecting s-video. It is usual for a device to have a menu option to tell it what type of signal to output / expect.

If you have a dvd player and connect that to the projector and try the different output modes (i.e. s-video and composite) you'll be able to tell what is going wrong.

8. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Thanks Stubags. However, DVD's are just perfect sent from the amp to the pj over the Ixos S-Vid cable. The XBox is also fine on the plasma screen which is being sent the exact same signal via the amp. I have come to the conclusion that it is either due to the fact that the pj is connected using a 10m cable (plasma 5m) and the signal is being degraded over that length or the XBox signal has sopme anomaly that the pj cannot interpret.

The crux of this is that the exact same signal is being fed out to both the plasma and pj. The plasma picture is just stunning and in full colour whereas the pj picture has no colour.

I'm condisering changing the pj anyway so will make sure I test it in situ before parting with my cash.

Neil

9. Dunedin397

Dunedin397

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have an answer for you I'm afraid, but I do remember reading somewhere that the XBox is able to detect the type of AV cable it's connected to and output the relevant signal.

I may be wrong, but this may help.

Dunedin397

10. Laz

Laz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem connecting my xbox to my DLP projector using a short s-video lead. However it only comes out in black and white in about 50% of the games I try, e.g. Halo comes out in colour whilst Project Gotham Racing comes out in black and white!

When I try a game that will only display in black and white, there always appears a quick flash of a screen full of crap, which you don't see when viewing through a scart cable.

What is PG Racing doing that Halo isn't? I can't remember a call in DirectX along the lines of FxxkUpProjectors()!

11. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are some of the titles NTSC and some PAL?

12. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    Messiah, what actual connection are you using from Xbox to SVHS player. If you're using an RGB scart (official one) then surely the player would not be able to output a proper Svideo signal as it is not getting an Svideo signal from Xbox.
    What make is the new scart pack you've picked up..?
    Is it a UK/US Xbox and finally have you considered using component (does your amp have component switching)..
    Just a thought but fancy sticking with this until you get it sorted..Let us know mate..:)

13. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Thanks guys. I was using one of the XBox S-Vid leads from Dixons on my UK (chipped) unit and connecting it direct to the amp. However, this was quite a while ago and have since changed the pj (for an Epson TW100 and again now for a Barco CRT) and also now using the Video Select CD, a Hi-Def component lead and feeding it to the pj directly.

Perfect XBox colour on an 8ft screen. Just fantastic. Thanks for all your replies and apologies for not closing this thread earlier. (I'd forgotten all about with the excitement of new pjs and all :D )

14. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    glad it;s sorted mate..:)