1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black Wall - Which Black

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sneaky, Dec 22, 2003.

1. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I am going to buy either an Ellie or Beamax fixed screen. I want the wall behind the screen to be black.

I have had a look at Gary Lightfoots pics with the black carpet and they look great, the problem is I cannot find anywhere that sells black carpet so paint it will have to be.

I have seen Dulux ICE Storm 1 in B and Q, will this be ok or does someone out there have experience of a better Black Paint.

2. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,286
    You want to run down to B&Q and buy a nice big tin of:

International Matt Black Paint.

It's Non Reflective & ideal for the job.

Only 2 downsides:

1: It smells a bit painty (definaly not low odour)
    2: When it's dry if you rub up against it, it can give it a bit of a shine (you know like matt black enamel did on your airfix kits)

I painted my whole end (projection) wall with this & it's ideal.
    It looks more of a dark grey as it's very MATT but it's the best thing to use.

http://www.diy-store-uk.co.uk/item-International+matt+black+paint.html

I think it says it;s for things like wooden beams on the tin.

Don't get the one for blackboards though. that's a different product.

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,015
    Carpet Right near me did some charcoal carpet that was £1.99 a square yard, and they recently had some black carpet that was either £3.99 or £4.99. I was thinking of getting some more for my purlin supports and at that price, it won't cost much.

If you do manage to get some suitable carpet, I'll mention that I used a very thick mixed wallpaper paste to glue the carpet to the wall. If ever it needs to come down, a steamer will remover it without also taking any plaster with it. It's also easier to move into postion, and to cut if you need to pull any of it away from the wall while tidying it up.

HTH

Gary.

4. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,286
    Not wanting to find fault with anything.

But I'd have thought, carpet (with nylon etc in it) if a light is shone onto the surface might (and I'm guessing here) give off a slight reflection at certain angles.

Mind you, it's different I'll give you that.

"I'm just hoovering the wall dear!!"

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,015
    Quite true, that is a possiblity, so take a torch with you and see what it's like. :)

The stuff I got seems to work quite well though, and has the two-fold effect of damping any unwanted sound reflections from the screen wall area, so there is a method to the madness. ;)

The screen wall should be dead, with dead lower walls (below ear height) and live upper walls and ceiling. Room accoustics can make a lot of difference, (unwanted slap echo etc), and carpet has helped my room considerably. No doubt there are better solutions, but without any accurate measuring equipment, there's no way of knowing. My ears tell me it's an improvement though.

I've not hoovered it yet, but I have to watch the cats in case they want to use it as a scratching board!

Gary.

6. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys.

What I have decided to do is carpet all my walls and paint the ceiling black. Think I will use the Ice Storm as I don't fancy a dodgy smell kicking about.

As for the carpet I have seen some carpet tiles at B and Q, for the front wall, in black but they have a white fleck in them so I will have to check them out first. For the side walls I have seen some nice deep red one's that should do the trick and they fit together very nicely with no joins etc. I also thought they would be easy to handle. But first I will have a look at my local carpet right for the cheap carpet as the tiles work out at £12 per sq metre.

Gary, thanks for the tip on the wall paper paste, I was wondering how i would do it without pulling the plaster off and I had come to the conclusion that I would have to use a good double sided sticky tape.

Thanks again guys

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,015
    Try a sound test before each stage of carpeting, and see what it sounds like - you may find you don't need to do too much to get the better, or at least, you can hear trhe differences it makes as you go. :)

Gary.

8. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gary,

To be honest I am doing it because I like the look of it as much as anything.

Im not really one of the techie type guys that are invaluable on hear, all I want is to sit down and enjoy the 300 DVD's I have without analysing every single bit of kit I have to the enth degree. Im a movie buff who enjoys decent quality as opposed to being a videophile who is looking for technological brilliance.

Id rather enjoy what I see as opposed getting excited about some measurement on an osciloscope.

After saying that the techies on hear are brilliant and I would have got as far as I have without there help.

The only choices I have to make now are the good bits.

PJ - AE500 or HS20 unless something else comes along between 2k and 3k.

Receiver - Denon 3803 or 2803 havent really got to the bottom of how much the difference in quality is.

DVD - Denon 2900 or 2200 havent really got to the bottom of how much the difference in quality is.

Ill leave the speakers for now and stick with my Tannoy M3's. Do you know what is a good speaker cable without paying absolutely ridiculous money.

Chris

Chris

9. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tempest,

Ever been into the SevenOaks in Newcastle, they have a carpet on the wall. The ciemas have some sort of fabric with something underneath it as well.

Chris

10. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,015
    Sneaky,

sounds like you've the right attitude - enjoy the movie, and no nitpicking! Hopefully when you get your pj, you'll do just that. I think there's a tweaker in all of us trying to get out though. :)

I have a 3802, so the 3 should be a tad better. I never had the opertunity to check out the 2802 but I'm very happy with my choice.

I kept some 20+ year old Scott speakers, and they do a good job combined with the newer speakers in my ht room, so I'm sure the Tannoys will too. Get yourself up and running, then upgrade if you feel you have to later.

I think you're like me, and probably won't notice any difference between very expensive speaker cable, or a cheaper alternative. 1.5mm flex even sounds good - especialy when you hear the price. ;)

Gary.

11. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Gary,

Ill probably stick with the cable I have been using - Gale 315 or something. To be honest I worked in industry for 10 Years and I dont think my ears are the best anyway.

It just frightens the life out of you when all the techie lads are going at it and you never think your gear is good enough.

I have been using my tannoys, Sony 525 DVD, Yamaha 759a amp linkked to a sony 28" Tele for 4 Years and have loved it. Then got the idea of a projector found AVFORUMS and been confused ever since. LOL.

I originally had a look at a Sim2 Domino20 projector and thought it was excellent but I then looked at an HS20 and thought that was excellent to (probably could tell differences if they were side by side but saw them apart enjoyed them both and thought I may as well go for the cheaper by nearly 2k option. Since then I have brought home an Hitachi Data projector from work and I am currently getting a 5ft picture on a nobo pulldown screen and I am loving that, as I say of course there are faults with it but i am enjoying the films so anything that is of reasonable quality and built for video should be great.

12. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gary by the way have you ever seen a Beamax screen.

I am down to an Ellie fixed Screen or a Beamax Fixed. I am angling at the Beamax because they have a bigger bit of black velvet around the outside.

13. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,015
    I've not seen a Beamax screen, but I'm using some Ellie 1.2 gain material on my screen frame, and it seems to do a good job as far as I can tell. The black border is important and will work better if it absorbs any overspill well. Some borders reflect a little, so won't do the job they're there for.

I think www.projectorsareus.co.uk sell Beamax screens, but I've no idea on pricing.

Gary.