1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black the new Silver?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by SquidMan, Mar 2, 2005.

1. SquidMan

SquidMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hullo all!

I've been snooping round this forum for a number of weeks now, very informative, and certainly given me a detailed, crash course in all that is LCD TV!

Now, my questions... is it just me or is the manufacture’s preference to release TV's (in all formats) in silver a tad annoying?

I have a pretty strong preference for black surrounds to my AV equipment and wondered what everyone else thinks?

This preference seems to have put me in a bit of limited position it seems. After hours and hours of reading and comparing I've finally decided (I think) on two 23 inch LCD's which suit my needs:

Sony KLV-L23M1B
    Philips 23PF9956

With the difference in price between the two being pretty negligible, I'm torn between them, but with a slight erring on the side of the Sony (due to component inputs... HDTV connectivity and (I think) PAL progressive scan?).

Am I barking up the wrong LCD TV stand(?!) or do people generally share my thoughts?

The Philips seems to be a bit of a black sheep of the new 23 inch Philips screens and only has Pixel Plus to shout about really... oh, and 16ms response vs 25ms on the other 23 inch models in the range.

My brain hurts! :zonked:

Sq

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi SquidMan,

This used to drive me NUTS! A couple or three years ago I thought about purchasing a new TV. However, every time I walked into a shop to have a look I just glased over...Silver, silver and summore silver....Goddamit, don't these manufacturers employ designers?!

Anyway, things are a bit different now, thank goodness. I bought the Philips 32PF9986 because it is the best one available, but it also tickled me pink that it is such an outragous design - big and bold with no visible speakers and coloured lights shining out the back! Bloody marvellous!

Back to the post. You are considering two 23" inch TV's. The 23 inch sector is sadly bereft of any real technologcal advances, and the sets available are pretty poor by comparison to their bigger brothers. The Sony is the better of the two, but will not recieve HiDef broadcasts from Sky next year(neither will the Philips). If this is of no importance to you then carry on...

Jimmy

3. SquidMan

SquidMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya Jimmy

I'm glad I'm not alone in my quest for all that is black/NOT silver! :)

Thanks for the advice. I was swaying towards going up to 26 inch TV's but realised that my pocket, and also my living room, would suffer by going up to too big a telly! I'm not a SKY man myself, so this whole HiDef thing is a bonus, but not a necessity at the moment... with the Beeb going to HiDef in 2010 (I think) it's going to be a while before it's a main-stream broadcasting standard on things like Freeview I would have thought?

I'm intrigued about these coloured lights behind your Philips... is there some kind of small disco function they're not talking about?! ;)

So, Sony it is... for now... I'm sure within a few weeks I'll be complaining about the lack of any decent non-black 26 inch TV's after I've had a look around JL and got greedy again ;)

I was going down the path of the Sharp Aquos' for a while... but guess what, I could only could find them in silver... or they were way over-priced... *sigh*

Surprised you weren't interested in the Sharp LC-37U4 Designer series... now if there was ever a bold design statement in LCD market, they would be it! With different coloured lacquer, leather and wood(!) surrounds... no coloured lights though!

Sq

4. Judders

Judders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, just the two you then eh? :rolleyes: ;)

LONG LIVE SILVER!!! :smashin:

5. SquidMan

SquidMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Grrr! I know they're out there, they're just frightened to speak out again all that dazzling Silver! :p

Besides... don't tell me you wouldn't be tempted by a lovely walnut effect LCD TV surround ;)

Sq

6. motr

motr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I was all set to buy a silver Sharp 26GA3E until I see a black one in the flesh (so to speak). Gorgeous. Looked much more classy :smashin:

7. nokiaman

nokiaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi just a quick question but why wont the sony Sony KLV-L23M1 recieve sky hiDef? its a WXGA panel (13..x7.. pixels, therefore enough for hiDef or is it cos there is no connector for it??

I only ask cos this is the LCD i will be buyin this month as i can only go upto a 23" really as its for my bedroom and its the best one around i can see or maybe the panasonic TX22LX2

8. SquidMan

SquidMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wohay! We have 3 against 1 ;)

Small step towards a darker future?!

Out of interest motr, where abouts did you see this lovely Sharp? I've managed to track a few down, but the prices have usually been far higher than the lowest on pricerunner :( I take it you went for the black one then?

Sq

9. motr

motr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I actually see it in my local John lewis (Peterborough). The GA3E are certainly harder to track down than the 26GA4E.

I was going to get the 26GA5E for £999 including a 5 year warranty, but as there are a couple inputs missing, I thought i'd pay the extra for the GA3E which is nearer £1300 including the 5 year guarentee.

I have been renting for the past 10 years and in that time, only purchased one main tv (back in 95) which was ok to watch, but I had nothing but grief with it, so I wanted the security of a decent guarentee.

10. SquidMan

SquidMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey motr

You might want to try RGBdirect and see what their price is for the GA3E... and get JL to price-match... they're never knowingly undersold you know ;)

RGB has it's own high-street stores so they should honour it... and give you that £300 off with the warrenty!

Sq

11. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Nokiaman,

$ky have stated that to receive their Hi Def service, you must have a TV that is capable of showing a minimum of 720 horizontal lines and have either a HDMI connection or DVI with HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Copyright Protection) connection.

I'm guessing that the Sony doesn't have HDMI or DVI if people are saying it's not HDTV ready.

Richie.

12. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    we have a sharp 26" in black and it does look very nice indeed

13. Mad Jack

Mad Jack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I'm probably going to go for the black version of Sony's KLV-L32M1. TBH I think the Silver version looks a bit cheap - not that the black one's that much nicer.. I also imagine that watching 4:3 TV (non Stretch-O-Vision) would look a bit weird on the silver model.

Also, a friend of mine is convinced that a black surround makes for easier viewing.

The 32" US version apparently does have HDMI, but the UK version does not... Don't know about the 23" version, but I guess it's a similar story.

14. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ah!!!! sharp 26" ga3 in black very very nice

15. SquidMan

SquidMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steady there alscds... you're in danger of getting hysterical! ;)

Though I'm just about to go home and set up my nice, shiny, new, SILVER!!!, Freeview box... I had to relent, you try finding a decent one that's black :( *sniff*

Sq

16. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'll swap you my 7 year old BLACK Pace Sky box for your silver one if you want. But only if its new and has a + at the end....

Jimmy

17. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Black is the only colour. Silver is a fad and you're all going to feel very silly one day :)

Mike.

18. crazyswede

crazyswede
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just want to say that I want a black tft as well :)

However I still have a few months left to decide so they might be a lot of black ones by then :lease:

19. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
  20. SquidMan

SquidMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

ARGH! You can have it!! After I've thrown it from a great height, immersed it in boiling water... chopped it into tiny pieces and then jumped up and down on them!!!

I've just spent the good part of 2 hours trying to get my Philips DTR 500 [Freeview box] to work... only to realise (feeling slightly foolish) :oops: that it won't work unless you have a scart input on your TV... I don't have one, so I've had to buy an adapter which converts the scart signal to a standard video composite channel and separate audio channels...

Don't I feel the chump :( *grumble grumble* I'm sure if it was a black model it would have worked *grumble grumble*

Still, when I finally do get the darn thing to work, and the signal is good (hopefully!) I'll have to invest in a shiny new LCD TV methinks ;)

Black of course! :lesson:

Sq

21. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well, there was a time when every TV was black.....and it was boring.

Silver TV's came out and are currently the dominent colour.

I can only deduce from this and from interior decor styles that the new colour to have will be white.

Or indeed, sink the tv into a wall with only the panel showing. Sorted.

Richie.

22. nokiaman

nokiaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi just a quick note on the sony KLVL23M

23. nokiaman

nokiaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi just a quick note on the sony KLVL23M it is HiDef ready, i've check a few places online plus i've just seen it in the flesh again and it has a sticker on it saying it is hi def ready plus says it on the box.

Might go out and buy it, i cant make up my mind if i want black or silver, sliver will match my hifi and freeview box etc but black my dvd and video player.

I'll spray it half black leave half silver lol joke.

24. SquidMan

SquidMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't joke... I ended up spraying bits of my PC in the end to make them go from the horrible beige to black! ;)

I'm probably going to be going for one of the Sony's too... Black for me :rolleyes:

But hey, if the rest of your stuff is all shiny, go for silver *sigh*

I reckon that a black surround can actually be a lot easier on the eyes, and is good for comparing the blacks on the screen... hence my preference ;)

Let me know how you get on though NokiaMan, it'll be a few weeks yet, but I'm likely to be plumping for the same LCD and it would be good to have your views.

Thanks for the info on the HiDef btw... I thought it was compatible too, but there are all kinds of standards batting about at the moment it's hard to be sure sometimes without seeing it in the flesh?!

Cheers

Sq

25. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Nokiaman,

I've been on to the Sony website and yes it can take Hi Def signals through Component but it will NOT be able to connect to a $ky HD box when it comes out and probably wont be able to connect to a BluRay or HD-DVD player either.

Reason being there isn't a DVI or HDMI input to the TV. To be HD ready, a set needs to be able to show at least 720 horizontal lines and have Analogue (Component) AND Digital (DVI/HDMI) inputs on it. The place where you saw the HDTV ready is incorrect unless the Sony website is incorrect and there is either a DVI or HDMI input on the TV. Make sure you check this before you buy it.

Richie.

26. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'll say this Yet Again!!!

No current Sony's are HDTV ready. NONE!

I hate to think people are buying these assuming they'll be able to watch Sky's HiDef next year.....

SquidMan, do you really want an all black TV? The reason I liked the look of the Philips 9986 is that it is a combination of Blacks and Silvers. A bold design that screams at you across the room! 'Look!' it says, 'Turn Me On and play with my buttons!' Marvellous thing....and when it is turned it really performs! Unequalled PQ and the Ambilight lights up the whole room in an Orgasm of spectacular colours!

I like my telly.....

Jimmy

27. SquidMan

SquidMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, alright, maybe a dash of silver wouldn't go amiss... but nothing more mind you ;)

Sounds like you really do love that telly of yours!

I'm off to JL tomorrow to gawp at all the LCD's... and I'll have to be very restrained not to splash out there and then...!

On a slightly different tack... my TV has quite annoying ghosting on about half its channels at the moment (just through a standard digital ariel). I'm kind of hoping this annoying anomaly will vanish when I get Freeview up and running through the digibox and a scart... or am I in for more ghosting do you think? :(

Enjoy your 'orgasm of spectacular colours!' ;)

Sq

28. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It's getting late now and I've had a thoroughly satisfying evening with the 9986..... Just tried to watch Johnny English on DVD, however, but had to abandon it due to the Films tendency to be utterly predictable and generally awful...

You say a digital aerial? Is that terrestrial? Ghosting on terrestrial could be caused by many things, but you are unlikely to get this with Freeview..

Jimmy

29. bardel

bardel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    On the lookout for something black myself...

Looked at the 9986 and think its more like very dusty black speaker cloth personally, not black at all.

Also theres a hell of a lot of panel surrounding that screen (and a lot of others), but then I am being awkward as I'd like a minimalist looking panel, don't even want the speakers and to be honest 32" would be the absolute max I'd want to go to...

30. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The inner part of the 9986 is black. Then the inchandabit siver band. Then the Gunmetal monolith speakers. These are surface activated flat speaker panels which work surprisingly well. It is a big old thing though...

Jimmy