Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Black stripes above and below picture??

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by teleman, Jun 27, 2004.

1. teleman

teleman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everybody,
    I just bought a Panasonic TX21AP1 21-inch Quintrix TV which is great, except that the picture doesn't fill the screen. There's a black stripe both above and below the picture, each stripe being about 1 inch deep.
    The adjustable aspect ratio is set to the standard 4:3, so I'd expect the picture to completely fill the screen, but it doesn't at all.
    I have an old TX25A2 which is fine by comparison.
    Does this sound like there might be a problem with the TV?
    Thanks for any thoughts.

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    This is most likely because that your tv is a 4:3 set and its recieveing a 16:9 signal.

3. SystemBlack

SystemBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    More likely to be receiving a 14:9 signal, the compromise between full 16:9 and 4:3. This way, if you zoom to fill the screen height, you don't lose too much of the side of the picture but as you may not have a 14:9 setting you have to live with it, sorry.

4. teleman

teleman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for your help. That makes perfect sense because this set doesn't have a14:9 setting.

It's more than 10 years since I bought a TV and it's quite a different experience these days with all the latest technology and broadcasting signals, about which I am at the bottom of what I expect to be a long, steep learning curve!

Thanks very much again for the info, greatly appreciated.