Black screens

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Dubbing Mixer, Apr 22, 2002.

1. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Anyone know anything about 'black' screens for front projection.
    If this sounds daft, think about it for a minute. I'm talking about hi-tech screens with a gain of maybe, 1.7 but with a black substrate. If these screens work, the effect should be the same as 'black screen' crt TVs I.e massively enhanced black level with gain. Sounds too good to be true I know but check out:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=1023376

2. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ummm the last time I saw the prices of black screens with decent gains and technology your mum would be proud of they cost about £9000 + ?! and even the cheap ones were about £4000 or something ridicolous. Still if you have money to fritter away then go for it!.

James

p.s in my mind as long as the home theatre produces a good picture who cares what you project on to!.

3. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    It's a strange coincidence, but I spent some time today lining up the future screen position for my AE100 projector. Since the wall where the screen is going is painted matt black, I found myself projecting an image onto that. I was surprised by how good the picture actually was; not exactly watchable, maybe, but much clearer and better defined than I was expecting...

Bert
    http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,210
    I would strongly suspect that a black screen would seriously compromise the low and mid raneg intesities of the image. This is catastrophic for video viewing purposes as these are the most imprtant areas of the image as far as your eyes are concerned. The reason that you can get away with a grey screen is that with the high gain lamp based units they have enough peak output to not suffer too much if you knock them down a bit and like wise your eyes are not particularly sensitive to intensity changes in the brighter part of the image ( these upper regions are also clipped on video so its not as if there is anything there in the first place)

I can't imagine that there is a black material that allows you to drop the blacks without also clipping off the lower intensities. The upper intensities might be able to be reflected by some sort of beading system but the bulk of your image will not return from the screen. ( think turning the brightness all the way down on your TV but leave the contrast alone: it would look like that)

5. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    The analogy to a CRT tube TV isn’t quite correct but I can see where you’re coming from with this.

I've had a look at this info and can see an application for it in bright areas like conference halls or shopping centres. High levels of ambient light would normally wash out the image on a conventional white screen, but I can't see it being useful for home cinema at the moment. This screen is all about getting the brightest image whilst reducing the effect of ambient light. Interesting technology though.

Regards

6. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the replies so far. I agree a crt isn't an exact analogy since it is a light emitter tather than a reflector and I suspect Mr D is quite correct about the low intensity end of the gamma curve. However, I still think there may be some mileage in this.

Anyone else have any ideas or experience?