1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black Screens

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by WBC, Jun 23, 2004.

1. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. pez

pez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    very, very cool.

im looking at getting a new screen myself (im currently using the free screen that i had with my panny ae500) as we'd like to go bigger in our room.

just how good are the stewart grey screens?

pez

3. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,670
    The Stewart Firehawk is an astonshing screen when used in ambient light - a white screen is almost unwatchable whereas the Firehawk produces a contrasty and detailed picture that's still very watchable. I saw this in a room with the windows open and the lights on - the difference between the two screens was stark to say the least.

Stewart Screens can be a tad expensive, but Da-Lite do a 1.1 gain grey screen (the FH is 1.35) that is comparable apparently. The Greyhawk is only .95 gain IIRC, and is/has undergone a slight tweak by Joe Kane to improve it. Not to everyones taste (some prefered the original), but is probably more suitable for higher lumen pjs that don't require the gain.

The screens with gain have a viewing 'cone' which means it's brighter in the center than at the edges, so if you have people sitting of to the sides, they will see a dimmer image compared to those in the middle. IIRC, 100degrees is the cone, at which the gain is reduced to 50%. See the Stewart site for more info.

Some UK screen suppliers can provide screen material only, and that would be a cheaper way of getting a grey screen - I've some pics on my home page of my DIY screen if you're interested.

HTH

Gary.