1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black screen when starting media center

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by GazH, Jun 13, 2005.

1. GazH

GazH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi,

At the moment my PC starts up fine, but when I start media center I occasionally just get a black screen and have to reboot the pc.

This used to happen when the PC actually booted, it would get as far as displaying the welcome message and then go black. I ended just leaving it sittin there for a couple of minutes, it rebooted, and seemed to be alright after that.

I started having the problem again (but when I open media centre, rather than when booting) after I installed the VFD driver for my D-vine case.

One thing the driver did say is that you are to shut down the ehmsas process before running it for the first time. Is it necessary to shut this process down every time you boot (which I normally do), and would this running cause this problem ?

my specs:
    Asus P4b M/b
    1.5Ghz P4 Northwood
    128MB Leadtek 6600gt TDH AGP graphics card (driver version 67.66)
    1 GB RAM
    Sonicfury SoundCard
    Nividia DVD decoder

Any help appreciated....will be having another play tonight to try any suggestions.

Basically if this isn't a stable system then it isn't going to stay in the sitting room :(

Cheers

Gaz

2. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cant help you with your problem, but I can explain ehmsas.exe to you

It is the EHome Media State Aggregator Service. Hence the name. It is a type of messaging plugin so that media center can broadcast it's current state of play to other windows applications. If ehmsas is running when installing your vfd software, then it will actually not install correctly and nothing will be shown on your vfd display. If ehmsas is not running while in mce then nothing will display on your vfd due to the vfd driver not receiving any messages from ehmsas.exe.

So, kill the process while installing vfd software, but from there onwards leave it running (will start automatically while mce starts) so that the vfd driver can actually display the state of media on your media center pc :)

As a side note, I think it has very little if anything to do with your actual problem (black screen).

Could you drop some info as to how your display device is connected? lcd panel/normal tv? and which graphics card are you using, as well as what connection method you chose? composite, svideo, vga, vga-->scrat etc..

3. GazH

GazH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi Werner,

My Graphics card is a Leadtek 6600gt TDH AGP. Connected to a CRT via S-Video->SCART lead (well, into an adaptor) from the card.

One thing that seems to be consistent is...It seems to play up the first time the machine is booted when it has been switched of at the socket....after a reboot all is fine...or if it has been shut down but not switched of at the socket, its seems to be OK.

have set up a programme to record to wake it up from hibernation tonight...so we'll see how it gets on with that.

Seems to be better leaving the ehmsas service alone as well :oops: Thanks for the indepth description.

Will update when I have some more info...or if seems to have sorted itself out...hopefully it is OK as I really like MCE...and so does my wife actually...which is nice....

Thanks again

Gaz

4. GazH

GazH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    PC worked fine bringing it out of hibernation etc.

One thing I did notice last night....AVG did an automatic update when the PC started up....as it finished my PC tried to load Media Centre, and it crashed..

Has anyone had problems with AVG (free version 7.0 I think) and MCE 2005 ?

Have switched off the automatic updates for AVG and will (hopefully) try again tonight.

Cheers

Gaz

5. CyBeRkId2002

CyBeRkId2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
  6. GazH

GazH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Thanks for this but I'm not sure its what I'm after.

I've never had a problem bringing the PC out of standby or hibernation, but have been having a problem when initially booting the machine.

As it happens I disabled the automatic updates for AVG a couple of nights ago and last night I booted the PC from cold and not a problem.....

Will try a couple of more times but MCE ran perfectly last night so looks like it may be something to do with AVG.

Looks like I may have to start checking out Anti-Virus software again eh.....

Thanks for your help

Gaz

7. GazH

GazH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi all,

Thought I'd post an update...

The problem still does does occur occasionally from cold boot. The screen goes black with some light grey lines in the top left corner....so I think its actually some thing to do with the Graphics card.

I have tried a couple of different drivers for my Leadtek 6600GT and the MOST stable ones seem to be version 67.66. Well I can boot the PC using these and occasionally when I hit the green button on my remote to enter media center the pc crashes.

The workaround I am using is to Hibernate the machine rather than shut it down....the only downside seems to be that the front panel display stop working when I resume from hibernate. Apart from that everything seems to work.

One thing I was a bit worried about when I built the machine was my Motherboard. Its an Asus P4B with a 4X AGP port...and my card is an 8X AGP. I haven't read of anyone having problems using an 8X card in a 4X slot but am wondering if this could be a problem.

I won't be upgrading the MB as it would mean upgrading the processor and probably RAM, and considering I had a tight budget to begin with I am not able to do this at the mo...

Any thoughts appreciated...thanks for reading

Gaz

8. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,325
    I got a black screen in MCE upon changing the res of my PC

turns out that MCE gives me a black screen if refresh rate is not 60

9. GazH

GazH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Very interesting.....Will check out my refresh rate and see if that helps..

Have loaded drivers version 66.77 last night so will see how they go...although may try the newest Nvidia drivers ... heres hoping eh ?

Also got the newest drivers for my sound card as well (Videologic Sonicfury...downloaded the drivers from Turtle Beach as mentioned to me in a previuos post)...not that my sound card has any problems, but hopefully it will all help.

Cheers Duncan

Gaz