Black Screen After Vista Loads

Member 328449

Prominent Member
Reaction score
When I turn my pc on Vista goes through the normal loading process but after the green bar it goes to a black screen where it stays. I can log on to safe mode but everything I try and do seems to slow down the system and crash it. I have tested my memory and that is not the problem. I have read around and it may be the gfx card but I can't get on to uninstall the driver. Any help?

I had something very much like this a month or two ago. It turned out to be the last update of my antivirus (kaspersky) had screwed something up. I uninstalled it in safe mode the reinstalled it normally, updated it and all was well :)

Well when I go to safe mode and try to do anything (including opening the control panel) I get the message 'The instruction at 0x01037c7c referenced memory at 0x6c8b1190. The memory could not be read. Click on OK to terminate the programme.' When I click on OK it just keeps bringing that message back up.

It might be a memory chip gone faulty or the memory on your graphics card.

Try removing and reseating the memory and your graphics card just incase its a bad connection. If you can borrow a different graphics card try that. If you have more than one memory chip swop them over or remove one and try that. Swop out alternate memory chips until the faulty one is found.

Tried all that except using a different gfx card as I don't have one - no luck though.

If you can't uninstall the graphics card driver in safe mode as it says there is a problem with a memory address. It could be a problem with the memory of the graphics card or the memory of your computer.

You've said you've tried swapping out the memory. Have you tried downloading a memory checking program. You would need one that runs out of windows as it may be your windows that has gone corrupt and not the memory at all.

If you do a google search for a boot cd with memory checking it should point you to an ultimate boot cd which contains the tools for testing memory and other parts of your computer.

I'll give that a go after I have tried to repair it with the Windows disc. Unortunately that is at my mum's so I will get it tonight and try it tomorrow.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom