Black Screen-Acer Aspire 5520G...Help please!

roger17x

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My student daughter has an Acer aspire 5520G laptop. She turned her
laptop on and all that shows is a blank black screen. No flashing curser
or anything. What she does have is a constant green power light button,
and a working fan.The laptop was working fine the last time she used it.

I have tried the following;
*Restart without battery and then the other way round using mains cable
disconnected and battery start.
*Removing,swapping and exchanging ram modules from a working laptop and re-starting laptop with ram removed and with no result.
*Removing the Hard Drive and did a re-start no result.Inserted hard drive back in laptop but still no change.
*I tried the following procedure;
1. Take out battery.
2. Pull out ac power cord.
3. Press Fn+Esc keys together.
4. Keep holding keys Fn+Esc pressed, put in ac power cord. (Power cord obviously has to be on)
5. Keep holding Fn+Esc keys pressed then press power button
Nothing happened still black screen.

I have read that flashing the BIOS may be an answer and found this link
Acer Aspire One BIOS Recovery

If I follow this process would Renaming the BIOS file to ZG5IA32.FD
before proceeding with flash, would this work on the Acer Aspire 5520G or is this just specific to the Acer Aspire One Bios recovery?

I'm really looking for any suggestions on what to do to restore this laptop back to a working state again. I have managed to copy all the data off her hard drive to another pc via a usb drop in caddy so at least she hasn't lost her college work.

Any help would be much appreciated....please.

Have you tried connecting an external monitor to it?
Sorry,yes I tried connecting to an external monitor and that didn't work either so that must rule out laptop screen failure.

Take it into a store and get them to try another power supply, there isn't really anything else you can do. A bios failure is unlikely, what is far more likely is a component failure on the motherboard. It does sound like a write off I am afraid.

Take it into a store and get them to try another power supply, there isn't really anything else you can do. A bios failure is unlikely, what is far more likely is a component failure on the motherboard. It does sound like a write off I am afraid.

MB failure is very expensive so would not worth be replacing it, so even trying a BIOS flash is worth contemplating just to see if it works or not, just wanted to know the correct procedure for flashing BIOS on this Acer Aspire 5520G.

According to this the power light should be flashing after you let go of the Fn + Esc keys. If it doesn't the procedure is likely not applicable for this model. The readme file that comes with the bios only mentions a DOS and Windows updater, not a recovery function.

You could try asking their US customer services, see if they can advise link to text chat support

Last edited:
According to this the power light should be flashing after you let go of the Fn + Esc keys. If it doesn't the procedure is likely not applicable for this model. The readme file that comes with the bios only mentions a DOS and Windows updater, not a recovery function.

You could try asking their US customer services, see if they can advise link to text chat support

Thanks will give it a whirl.

Someone has suggested to try this method to try and rectify my black screen problem....any ideas?

What you could try as a last resort before flashing your Bios is try to start with an external USB stick with puppy linux on it, or, if your bios does not support starting from USB (you have to set the starting order of the PC in your bios, mostly this is first CD/DVD drive, next Hard disk) you can also get a linux distribution to burn on CD.

For the puppy see :USB Puppy Linux Install | USB Pen Drive Linux
Make sure to first get the file system to FAT on the USB.

Otherwise get a distro and burn as ISO on CD, the net is full of tips & tricks:Lightweight Linux: Top 10 of lightweight Linux distributions | Linux for Old Computers
Now what do you determine if you get this running:
1. the USB stick will bypass your RAM (I think, sort of 85% sure).
If that seems to be the problem you need to get RAM.
2. If it works might also be software related.
You can in this case mount the DVD drive so it is available, and do a reïnstall.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom