Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9.5/10

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • 10/10

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 11/10

Votes: 3 5.6%

• Total voters
Yeah, that came as a real shock when I read it this morning. 43 as well. Absolutely no age.

Shocking and to think he continued to work throughout, keeping the situation to himself to. Incredible.
On the BP II front, be interesting to see how Marvel handle this.
I wonder if they’ll hand the mantle over to his sister now.

Shocking and to think he continued to work throughout, keeping the situation to himself to. Incredible.
Interesting to see how Marvel handle this.
There was already rumours a while back of Shuri taking the mantle of Black Panther so maybe he had already had private conversations with Marvel about his health.

There was already rumours a while back of Shuri taking the mantle of Black Panther so maybe he had already had private conversations with Marvel about his health.
Yeah to a point, mini arcs were closed at the end of BP and Endgame weren’t they.
I think they’d be better off giving Shuri the role, it’s to crass to just recast.

Yeah no way they recast, there'd be absolute outrage. And Disney/Marvel certainly don't want to alienate any fans.

It'll be a very poignant handover however they decide to do it. May have permission to go the CGI route for a scene to show it. The storyline really writes itself as well, with T'Challa choosing to be a King to his people as opposed to a protector.

Yeah no way they recast, there'd be absolute outrage. And Disney/Marvel certainly don't want to alienate any fans.

It'll be a very poignant handover however they decide to do it. May have permission to go the CGI route for a scene to show it. The storyline really writes itself as well, with T'Challa choosing to be a King to his people as opposed to a protector.
One way that might be acceptable would be if they gave the role to a new completely unknown black actor.
As they’re unknown, there wouldn’t be any ‘baggage’ that they’re bringing with them to the role, & in the wider context it’s giving an opportunity for another Black actor to take on the role of Black Panther & T'challa rather than losing the character altogether, as the character is meaningful to a lot of people. Still too early to say how they will go I guess.

They could also as you say, do a handover like Thor did with Valkyrie in Endgame.

One way that might be acceptable would be if they gave the role to a new completely unknown black actor.
As they’re unknown, there wouldn’t be any ‘baggage’ that they’re bringing with them to the role, & in the wider context it’s giving an opportunity for another Black actor to take on the role of Black Panther & T'challa rather than losing the character altogether, as the character is meaningful to a lot of people. Still too early to say how they will go I guess.

They could also as you say, do a handover like Thor did with Valkyrie in Endgame.

Whilst that sentiment is certainly not without merit, I feel even that may prove too controversial.

I see T'Challa's Panther being retired the same way they do a number on a football shirt. Certainly there can be another male Panther (if not Shuri), but it cannot be T'Challa.

They could also do a very poignant scene with his spirit joining his father and the previous Panther's. If they wanted to take the character down that route. Although I'd much prefer his character to remain alive in the background as King of Wakanda.

A pity they killed off
Jordan's Erik
character, as they could have perhaps done something with that too. I remember at the time thinking I'd have favoured him just being exiled.

But this is obviously getting way ahead of ourselves.

As I posted in the obit thread I expect the mantle to be passed to Shuri and it probably had been discussed between Boseman and Marvel. I don't see him keeping his illness from them and cast members have to go through medicals. Shuri is BP, with its powers, and Wakanda ruler in the comics when T'Challa is incapacitated.

Such terrible news, 2020 continues to be the worst year.

RIP Chadwick. That's what a real superhero looks like.

As I posted in the obit thread I expect the mantle to be passed to Shuri and it probably had been discussed between Boseman and Marvel. I don't see him keeping his illness from them and cast members have to go through medicals. Shuri is BP, with its powers, and Wakanda ruler in the comics when T'Challa is incapacitated.
He recently recorded Black Panther lines for Marvel’s upcoming ‘What if...’ animated series, so perhaps he would have had an opportunity to record some additional lines that could be used (ala Princess Leia in RoS) for him to give Black Panther a good send off, as the character meant so much to him as well.

I doubt they will retire the character. Marvel have recast characters before. Plus no actor is bigger than the role.

Lewis Hamilton just qualified on pole.
‘this ones for Chadwick’
BD8EB551-B50F-4F96-8F22-280DDBBCB7EB.jpeg

it probably had been discussed between Boseman and Marvel. I don't see him keeping his illness from them and cast members have to go through medicals. Shuri is BP, with its powers, and Wakanda ruler in the comics when T'Challa is incapacitated.
Yes, whilst Boseman's passing is terrible shock to the general public, the likes of the Marvel heads will likely have been very aware of his condition and I like to think would have been very accommodating for filming schedules. I imagine plans were in place quite a while ago for new instalments, and Boseman was part of the consultation (and hopefully gave his blessing).
I'm sure however it eventually pans out, Marvel will do it in a respectful manner.

Terrible news for his family and colleagues, who loved him.

You have to say what a hero he was to represent, to work his hardest and speak to people all over the world, all the while in pain from cancer.

2020 has been awful for everyone, dreadful for Disney as well.

Sounds like no nobody was aware outside of immediate family about Boseman's health. I think the project will stall for quite some time as Disney take stock of things. Whatever the plan is, the best way to honour Boseman's legacy is to continue the franchise.

Last edited:
It's a tricky one. Honour the actor by not recasting, or honour the character by not passing the mantle.
If they make Shuri black panther, then T'Challa is out of the picture. If they keep T'Challa alive, they have no choice but to recast.

I've seen comments happy or unhappy with either outcome. I really wouldn't want to be Kevin Feige right now.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom