Black Ops - NAT TYPE

Ive always had my NAT type as open, and it still is unfortunatly, is there anyway i can change it so im never host as thats when mine freezes, im ALWAYS picked as host and i get about 5 mins of gameplay till it freezes!

exactly the same, getting host a hell of a lot now i have changed ISP which results in a game freeze almost everytime :thumbsdow

I know its not my ISP, on GT5 its says i have a "very high bandwidth" and quality.

checked mine last night and its open..

ENGAskew I did try and join your lobby a few times last night with no joy.. I guess having "strict" could/might have some effect on that... but then again it could just be the joys of a night on blops, when half the time you spend trying to get into games lol..

I'm strict and it sucks - I can only ever join friends when their already in a game that has space. If I try and join their party I break it. I'm going to finish the campaign on Veteran and then trade it in.

I only brought it to play with my mates and I can't even do that. Very poor.

If your NAT type is Strict try putting your PS3 into DMZ mode following the below guide, this should open your NAT type, you can also try opening Specific ports from the below website too.

DMZ Guide

Port Forward

With the ports website, you need to select your router off of the list then follow the instructions displayed once selecting the port you want to open up on your router...

If your NAT type is Strict try putting your PS3 into DMZ mode following the below guide, this should open your NAT type, you can also try opening Specific ports from the below website too.

DMZ Guide

Port Forward

With the ports website, you need to select your router off of the list then follow the instructions displayed once selecting the port you want to open up on your router...
This isn't the problem mate. Loads of people including me have their PS3s in DMZ. The problem is that it is showing at NAT type 2 in the PS3 settings, NAT open in MW2 but NAT strict in Black Ops. The problem is with Black Ops only and not people's Internet connections or routers.

I read on another forum a fix for issues caused by update 1.04, I've given it a try and it DOES work, although you will lose all of your single player progress. Apparently the recent patch was downloaded into save data and not game data. You need to go to the XMB, delete your save data for Black Ops (you WILL lose all of your single player progress, and also the names of the custom classes in multiplayer, but anything else like XP, weapons etc will NOT be lost). You now need to delete your game data for Black Ops aswell. Now load up the game, download the patch again, and all the connection issues should be gone, and your NAT type should now be open. This worked for me, and although it isn't perfect, the multiplayer is running a lot smoother :)

EDIT - this worked this morning but my NAT type has now gone back to strict :(

Last edited:
You now need to delete your game data for Black Ops aswell. Now load up the game, download the patch again, and all the connection issues should be gone, and your NAT type should now be open. This worked for me, and although it isn't perfect, the multiplayer is running a lot smoother :)

Hasn't worked for me....:(

I've got my PS3 on a static address and DMZ. My connection always comes up as open, and I still get booted left right and centre.

I don't think it's people connections tbh. I just think the game is broken on the PS3.

We shouldn't have to mess with our internet settings, Its there job to make it work.

@Fenster - what does your nat type say, open, moderate or strict?

I will assume open.

Mine says open with a completly unmodified router except i have put high priority on the ps3 MAC for catagory 'gaming'. I dont think this made any difference though!

We shouldn't have to mess with our internet settings, Its there job to make it work.

Problem is suttons, you're right it should work but you will get hundreds of thousands of differently networked connections, be it ISP level, the connection from isp to home or internal home networks. I'm pretty sure their game does work but its incredibly poor for most connections it seems.

However since the patch, last night i played many games in parties of 4 and 6 even with nat type moderate for some of our party members, no names, arthur, and it still wokred 90% of the time.

If your NAT type is Strict try putting your PS3 into DMZ mode following the below guide, this should open your NAT type, you can also try opening Specific ports from the below website too.DMZ Guide

Port Forward

Word of warning... I opened up extra ports as well as setting my connection to a static ip and into a DMZ... This lead to more crashes than I've ever encountered.
I now have no extra ports open, static ip, hard wired and PS3 thru DMZ. It's pretty stable and I get very few freezes/crashes with this config. I do still get the disconnects, but I think that this may be due to others not having open NAT configured correctly.

My ISP is ADSL24 and I'm on 8 meg.

The problems you've experienced are not down to the NAT type. I've placed my PS3 in a DMZ on my router, the game still drops out regularly. In fact in the last two hours I attempted to play, I only got 2, four or five minute games. The rest of the times I got server disconnects or people yanking their network cables and rage-quitting.
Consequently I've sold my PS3 games and am buying a 360 for games as I've heard from several people they've not had any of these issues. The PS3 will now just spin BluRays.

I'm on now and it's the worst it has ever been, the last 10 games have had connection interrupted within a minute of game starting, game lobbies closed and a new one'which has happened 4 times- getting signed off PSN. Anyone else getting signed off?

Does Eggbox have alll these NAT issues or is it a Playstation exclusive.

From what I've heard (was discussing with someone on Saturday night), he's only had two 'issues' on the 360 - when the game was ported from one machine to another! He'd never had a single disconnect - I laughed and told him about my hours of attempting to get a good, complete game.

The problem is that games are designed and tested on the 360 and ported across, then bodged to work. I was warned of this by another friend of mine who is a senior artist for one of the large games companies.

when u do the mw2 trick u have to
put the blops disc straight away, I did it and worked.

From what I've heard (was discussing with someone on Saturday night), he's only had two 'issues' on the 360 - when the game was ported from one machine to another! He'd never had a single disconnect - I laughed and told him about my hours of attempting to get a good, complete game.

The problem is that games are designed and tested on the 360 and ported across, then bodged to work. I was warned of this by another friend of mine who is a senior artist for one of the large games companies.

I have to disagree with you your friend is wrong. The PS3 is not a port.

It was worse for me last night. Out of the first 10 games only completed 3. Then it was a nightmare. My nat type was showing as strict, so I did what wbabbington suggested and hey presto, my nat type was open. Still had some issues though....not as bad but still pretty poor.

@Fenster - what does your nat type say, open, moderate or strict?

I will assume open.

Mine says open with a completly unmodified router except i have put high priority on the ps3 MAC for catagory 'gaming'. I dont think this made any difference though!
My NAT is type 2 etc my Router has given my PS3 a static IP and everything else. i have tried everything mate and it still says strict...:confused:

I'm on now and it's the worst it has ever been, the last 10 games have had connection interrupted within a minute of game starting, game lobbies closed and a new one'which has happened 4 times- getting signed off PSN. Anyone else getting signed off?
Ironically i and a friend from here had some games around the same time today and it was brilliant...:confused:

My NAT is type 2 etc my Router has given my PS3 a static IP and everything else. i have tried everything mate and it still says strict...:confused:

Ironically i and a friend from here had some games around the same time today and it was brilliant...:confused:

Vhan has stated on Twitter that there IS a problem with Black Ops and port forwarding and UPnP.

Seen it a few minutes ago it was a reply to some guy. It will be fixed soon mate :smashin:

Vhan has stated on Twitter that there IS a problem with Black Ops and port forwarding and UPnP.

Seen it a few minutes ago it was a reply to some guy. It will be fixed soon mate :smashin:

I hope so mate...:thumbsup: but i won't hold my breath...:laugh:

I've ran the Internet connection test on my PS3 and download speed is 2.5 mbs but upload is only 225 kbps. Does poor upload speed have anything to do with lag etc?

I must admit, it's been much better tonight, no freezes and 2 disconnects in as many hours.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom