Black Ops - NAT TYPE

sedalbis

Hey,
Just updated to 1.04 and have noticed that it now shows your NAT type in the bottom right hand corner. Mine is showing as "strict" and I get a warning that this may impact matchmaking.
However, in the PS3 System Settings my NAT type is 2, which I though meant it was open? Also, if I load up MW2 it shows as being open there aswell. So why is it showing as strict on Black Ops?
After the update today, every game I try and join kicks me back to the player lobby and I get the message "Lost Connection to Host" and then "Game Lobby Closed." Everything was working fine before I updated today :(
Anyone else got the same problem?

Last edited:

wbabbington

Have you tried the MW2 trick to get your NAT type to be open on BO?

Was posted on here a few weeks ago and basically you put MW2 in and go to the MP screen where it says NAT open, eject the disc (without quitting game) and put BO in.

sedalbis

Have you tried the MW2 trick to get your NAT type to be open on BO?

Was posted on here a few weeks ago and basically you put MW2 in and go to the MP screen where it says NAT open, eject the disc (without quitting game) and put BO in.
Yep just tried that now. Showed "open" on MW2, ejected disc, put in Black Ops and it is still "strict"

Fen Star

Join the club siblades mine is allways type 2 and open on Blops its strict and nothing i do changes it....:rolleyes:

lee667

will check mine on lunch as mine is always open.

Det

Distinguished Member
I thought they said they were going to limit who could be host in an effort to get rid of lag switchers so I think if you were host a few times and your connection sucked, then they may have forced Strict on you.

Purely speculation though.

Fen Star

I thought they said they were going to limit who could be host in an effort to get rid of lag switchers so I think if you were host a few times and your connection sucked, then they may have forced Strict on you.

Purely speculation though.
People with connections alot worse than mine Det have their NAT set to open...

Det

Distinguished Member
People with connections alot worse than mine Det have their NAT set to open...
Maybe they've yet to get host?

Like I said, purely speculation as I have no clue if that's what they did to come through on their word to stop lag switchers.

sympatex

Have you tried looking at your router. @fen and @sib

Obviously there are many many different routers you could be using but for example i have a gaming tab on mine (came with BT broadband) which may well have options to open up ports / limit intervention from router firmware?

Edit to say; i have no idea what my NAT type in Blops is, on MW2 it used to be obvious but not seen it in blops afaik.

Henborg

Heard a few mates saying theres is now at strict now and are finding it really hard to get into games.

Will have to keep a eye on this hopefully this is a easy fix, and i will check mine after work

Fen Star

Have you tried looking at your router. @fen and @sib

Obviously there are many many different routers you could be using but for example i have a gaming tab on mine (came with BT broadband) which may well have options to open up ports / limit intervention from router firmware?

Edit to say; i have no idea what my NAT type in Blops is, on MW2 it used to be obvious but not seen it in blops afaik.
Mate i have spent ages opening up ports etc etc doing this and that and no change i look at my PS3 and it says NAT type 2 and UnPnP enabled (avalible) etc and it hasn't made any difference whatsoever also with BT (homehub 2)

Sharpy76

Ive done side by side tests at exactly the same time on both my xbox and ps3. On the ps3 my nat type is moderate and bandwidth is 3000, on the xbox it is open and the bandwidth is 10000, it was like this before the patch and is the same after the patch:rolleyes:

So much for them fixing the ps3 version because its definitely not an internet issue.

sympatex

hmm, so it suggests like i posted on FG's thread about the patch that their words are a bit wooley and trying to put emphasis on NAT type being to blame when in reality it makes no difference what so ever. Brilliant. (sharpys side by side test assuming few kicks in MS version compared to that of ps3)

It didn't happen on MW2 (to the same extent) so it all points at the game being crocked, cant even blame PSN as that's used for all other multiplayer games fine.

They need to go back to the drawing board and look at their network configuration in the code which would take months.

lee667

checked mine at lunch and it's still open after the update

bubs999

I've got NAT open and privacy open, yet I'm struggling to get any games, so I guess it really doesn't matter.

Patience is running thin though, I just want to play a few games and enjoy myself before the Wife gets home!

mark74uk

My nat type is open and got host 1st game closely followed by the famous total freeze up :thumbsdow Whats the point in wasting your time with this crap? Answers on a postcard.

wbabbington

Fingers crossed this is also being looked at as Vahn as just asked for some people to join him with open NAT types on twitter.

DavieW

My NAT in MW2 was open, now showing as strict. It was always a bit of a struggle to getinto a game before the patch. Since patching, I have spent just over an hour on blops and I'm yet to complete a full game, I keep getting the disconnected symbol.
This game is now unplayable :(

Nezben

I was open before update and now strict/moderate.
Patch has ruined my Black Ops.

wbabbington

I was open when I started last night after a few games it changed to strict. Played GT5 for about an half and hour and when I went back to BO my NAT had changed back to open!

Kingsd316

Ive always had my NAT type as open, and it still is unfortunatly, is there anyway i can change it so im never host as thats when mine freezes, im ALWAYS picked as host and i get about 5 mins of gameplay till it freezes!

Last edited:

mark74uk

Ive always had my NAT type as open, and it still is unfortunatly, is there anyway i can change it so im never host as thats when mine freezes, im ALWAYS picked as host and i get about 5 mins of gameplay till it freezes!
exactly the same, getting host a hell of a lot now i have changed ISP which results in a game freeze almost everytime :thumbsdow

I know its not my ISP, on GT5 its says i have a "very high bandwidth" and quality.

Henborg

checked mine last night and its open..

ENGAskew I did try and join your lobby a few times last night with no joy.. I guess having "strict" could/might have some effect on that... but then again it could just be the joys of a night on blops, when half the time you spend trying to get into games lol..

LeftyXXIII

I'm strict and it sucks - I can only ever join friends when their already in a game that has space. If I try and join their party I break it. I'm going to finish the campaign on Veteran and then trade it in.

I only brought it to play with my mates and I can't even do that. Very poor.

Ben-H

If your NAT type is Strict try putting your PS3 into DMZ mode following the below guide, this should open your NAT type, you can also try opening Specific ports from the below website too.

DMZ Guide

Port Forward

With the ports website, you need to select your router off of the list then follow the instructions displayed once selecting the port you want to open up on your router...

sedalbis

If your NAT type is Strict try putting your PS3 into DMZ mode following the below guide, this should open your NAT type, you can also try opening Specific ports from the below website too.

DMZ Guide

Port Forward

With the ports website, you need to select your router off of the list then follow the instructions displayed once selecting the port you want to open up on your router...
This isn't the problem mate. Loads of people including me have their PS3s in DMZ. The problem is that it is showing at NAT type 2 in the PS3 settings, NAT open in MW2 but NAT strict in Black Ops. The problem is with Black Ops only and not people's Internet connections or routers.

I read on another forum a fix for issues caused by update 1.04, I've given it a try and it DOES work, although you will lose all of your single player progress. Apparently the recent patch was downloaded into save data and not game data. You need to go to the XMB, delete your save data for Black Ops (you WILL lose all of your single player progress, and also the names of the custom classes in multiplayer, but anything else like XP, weapons etc will NOT be lost). You now need to delete your game data for Black Ops aswell. Now load up the game, download the patch again, and all the connection issues should be gone, and your NAT type should now be open. This worked for me, and although it isn't perfect, the multiplayer is running a lot smoother :)

EDIT - this worked this morning but my NAT type has now gone back to strict :(

Last edited:

Trending threads

Top Bottom