Black Ops Crashing Help Please

PocketBunny

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Ok i know i posted in the Black Ops thread and went through numerous queries and checking rail voltages etc but i have now changed from XP SP3 to Win7 Ultimate and the issue has become more regular. The game will just freeze and the image will become distorted (will post a screen of it later). This has happens in both Multiplayer and Single player campaign, but not in Zombie mode multiplayer.

I have checked the temp of my 5850 in Catalyst Control Centre when the game has crashed and it is showing 49-51 degrees. My CPU is ranging in temps but usually around 38-40 degrees (CPU figures gained from SpeedFan and HW Monitor). So i dont think that is the issue.

I've done virus scans, malware scans, system restores to when it the game would work properly for 2 hours or so without crashing to no avail. I have reinstalled the game to see if it will become more stable and still it continues to crash.

I can run F1 2010 maxed out at 1920x1080 res and have no issues.

I cant find a good monitor for my mobo, my search for it was brief this morning before i came to work though :blush:. As speedfan and Hardware Monitor have shown some strange 12v Rail readings, but when in BIOS the 12v rail looks solid. It has been speculated that it may be a compatability issue with the board and software.

My Hardware (everything at stock speeds):
AMD 955BE
ASUS 5850
MSI 770-C45
2x2GB XMS 3 Classic 9-9-9-24 1333mhz(1.5v)
Coolermaster Silent Pro Power-M 600w

Any ideas or help on fixing this issue would be greatly appreciated, as i really want to be able to get some good sessions clocked on this game. :lease:

Beginning to think it may be the game. :(

Sorry for blabbering :)

Last edited:
I only really play F1 2010, Black Ops and CS:Source. I didnt mention CS as its not very demanding. Will have Dirt 2 downloaded tonight, so will have a session on that and see if it happens.

Not much help,

I am still playing MW2 (no cash to buy blops)

something strange is going on, will not let me play campaign, crashes my laptop
in fact i have completed the campaign and it states 0% complete.
Also, very hard to get on a game, my laptop freezes / crashes during the matchmaking process nightmare!

Ok so this is how the game looks when it crashes/hangs. This was mid round in an S&D game on Grid.
dsc00717h0.jpg

Standard screenshot didnt work, so a ropey cameraphone shot is the best i can do

Was browsing the forums last night, before bed and came across a post regarding Dirt 2 and it crapping out when a certain AA setting was being used. May be playing around with that may bring some joy. Maybe black ops just doesnt like 8xAA.

Will test it out tonight and post up my findings. It does seem that it could be ingame settings that is making it do this. I think the only options on it are 4x 8x and 16x and also *covers Razor's ears* No AA. So it shouldnt take too long.

Ok went on the Activision support site and the top query was, my game crashes/freezes during play and this is their response

'For Windows Vista\Windows 7
1) Right-click on your desktop and select Personalize.
2) Click on Display Settings
3) Set the resolution slider to 1024X768
4) Set the colors to Highest (32 bit).
5) Click Apply and OK.

•All background applications should be shut down prior to running the game.

1) Go to the Start bar and select Run. (If you are on Vista or Windows 7, hit the Windows key and the R key at the same time)
2) In the Run window, type in msconfig and hit enter.
3) Once the utility comes up, go to the Startup tab and hit the Disable All button.
4) Next go to the Services tab and check the “Hide All Microsoft Services” checkbox and then hit the Disable All button.
5) Hit the OK button and close the utility, and restart your computer when prompted to.

Please note that this method will shut down all background applications including your virus scanning software. If later on you decide you want to re-enable programs that were closed down, you can undo these changes by simply un-checking the Hide all Microsoft Services box and hitting Enable All on both the mentioned tabs.

The Windows OS allows you to have lots of different programs running at the same time. Sometimes these programs do not play happily together and create problems. Many modern games are very demanding on your computer. Some game problems can be solved by making sure that the game is the only program on the field. Limiting the number of other applications and programs running can help your system and program performance across the board, not with just games. Virus scanning and other security programs often use a large amount of memory and access the files on your harddrive frequently. This frequent harddrive access can slow your computer down if these programs are running in the background while the game is running. You should shut down as many programs as possible to lower the amount of memory being used before you launch the game. For Windows XP your system should only be using about 100 to 120 MB of memory before launching the game. For Windows Vista or Windows 7 that number should be around 700 to 1000 MB. You can check the amount of memory being used by clicking on the Performance tab in the Task Manager.

Once you complete the steps above then your system is ready to run the game. These steps can clear up a lot of problems you may be experiencing. Your performance may also increase because you have more memory free and more resources are available to the game. Not only can this make games run more smoothly, but applications can benefit from this, as well.'

Now this is not helpful for many reasons the main one being "My PC is very capable of running this game maxed out, if i wanted it to look s***, id buy a Xbox!" 1024x768 on a 1080p monitor is going to look distorted and unbelievably crap! Do I really want to turn my AV off? No!

Sorry for the unleash of rage, but this is really winding me up. Has anyone else found a way to stop this happening?

I tried all AA setting last night, and they all resulted in the game freezing like the screenshot above eventually. So no joy with that.

Just checked the Steam forums and there is a thread of people listing their hardware specs who are all experiencing the same issue as me 52 pages with 15 posts per page. let's say 25% will be people posting multiple times gives a total of 585 people who i expect have bothered to sign up to the steam forum to whinge about this issue. It's nice to know im not alone in this situation, but unfortunately doesnt make me feel any happier about it!

It needs patching treyarch want to get off there a***s and sort it...they have got our money but dont want to give the goods there must have been a problem in beta test but choose to launch anyway.

My random freezes seem to have been cured by running in windowed mode. May be worth a try

I heard something in ATI needs to be stopped .. .the wording I was told was "AI controller" but I cant figure out what it means.

Windowed mode appears to solve the issues ive been having, thanks for the tip! This'll get me through the pain until it is fixed.

curse of the post - it just crashed again :(

Mines not crashed once whilst running in windowed mode. Forgive me if its a dumb question but is there only one way to run in this mode i.e. via the in game menu?

I only found one way of doing it by changing the full screen option to No. Most probably the same way you got it to run in that mode.

For anyone who has been following this thread i have found 2 small config edits which supposedly help. I havent tried them out myself but will when i get home

Made two changes to the config_mp.cfg, the interesting thing is I do not have a multi GPU, why was the value set to 1 ?

Original Value
seta r_multiGpu "1"
seta r_multithreaded_device "0"

New value
seta r_multiGpu "0"
seta r_multithreaded_device "1"

Supposedly this has helped quite a few people with this problem, so its worth a crack.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom