1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black MS309 available??

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by belgrade, Sep 28, 2004.

1. belgrade

belgrade
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody have any info regarding where I can pick up a black MS309. I'm desperately looking for a black MS309, as I've got a full set of black MS Avants, and I now want to integrate a decent sub into my system. Its really infuriating, as for once, I've got the money burning a hole in my pocket, but I just can't find a black 309!!
    I know there are silver, and maple versions available everywhere, but I really need a black one- due to decor, keeping the wife happy etc etc, blah blah.

Tons of Fun, I read here that you mentioned a black batch. Any updates on when this batch will be ready, and available, and also where I may get one from?
    Tried calling my local Richers, but they know nowt about a black batch.
    Any help much appreciated.

Ta

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    It is ready- we're trying to encourage Marantz to order it. I've have seen this inquiry and printed it and I'll see what we can do to chivvy them on a bit.

3. belgrade

belgrade
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Tons, where will be the best place to pick it up quickly from. Should I just wait for Richers or other online stores to start displaying it, or is there a quicker way/place to get hold of one. I really am desperate to get my hands on one! What sort of timescale do you think I am realistically looking at - weeks, within a month?

cheers

4. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    Depends on whether we can ship it with an outstanding order so at the moment I don't know exactly.

5. belgrade

belgrade
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tons,

Any news on the black 309s. Still cant find them anywhere :(

I'm also wondering whether the 309 will enough for my room, or whether I should get a 409 (or even an SVS :p ) My room size is 5m by 4m, with a ceiling height of about 3m. Will the 309 be adequate, or should I think of getting a bigger sub?

Also, just to compare th 309 vs 409, waht will be the differences regarding placement of these subs, as the 309 is forward firing vs the downward firing 409. Will corner placement be appropriate with both of these subs?
    I am thinking of putting the sub in the left coner of my room, firing sideways across the room.

6. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Tons might be a little slow in replying as he is at the What Hi-Fi show until Monday I believe.

I'll be seeing him tomorrow so will pass your request on to him :).

7. belgrade

belgrade
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Kazman :thumbsup:

8. belgrade

belgrade
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tons,

Any views on the above query regarding 309 vs 409 in a room of my size.
    I don't know if I can wait any longer for a black 309, as I have been putting off my subwoofer purchase for a while now.

Regarding the placement of these subs, I should point out that I have wooden flooring (tongue & groove stuff). Will this make a difference with regards to my choice of sub, ie will this negatively affect the sound of the down-firing 409? Does wooden/laminate flooring limit the effectiveness of a down-firing sub? If so, will isolation using a paving slab for example, counter this problem?

As always, any help much appreciated :thumbsup:

9. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    Laminate shouldn't really affect either of the subs to any great extent so I wouldn't be worried about that. Some people report great things from paving slabs so they might be worth a look however. 409's are still quite thin on the ground however.

10. belgrade

belgrade
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Tons.
    Also would like to know your view on a couple of questions I posted a couple of weeks back(about 4 posts up), regarding whether the 309 will be enough for my room, or whether I would need a 409. Is the 409 a big jump over the 309?

Also need help regarding positioning, as I am really limited with my room. Will both be ok with corner placement?

11. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    The 409 is not a massive leap ahead from the 309. The extra 50w goes into making the overall performance more effortless- as the cabinet and driver size are very similar (drivers are both 10in) the on paper performance is very similar. Unless the room is huge, either sub will drive it.

Positioning is not too much of an issue but if you have to place them in a corner, the downward ports on the 309 will be more sympathetic than the rear ports of the 409.
    Ed