1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black mark for Play

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Simon6776, May 21, 2003.

1. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I bought Classic Rock magazine today, and inside was a full page Play ad, offering the new Led Zeppelin DVD, and CD, for £11.99 each. Woohoo!!

I rushed over to the website to place my orders, only to find that the DVD was listed as £23.99 :eek: and the CD at £13.99. :(

I rang them up to query the prices and was told, in rather unfriendly terms, and with no hint of an apology, that the prices on the website are correct. "Well, what about your ad in Classic Rock?" I asked. The answer? "It's wrong. The prices on the website are right."

Now I don't expect them to honour the prices in the ad (although I'm not certain if legally they have to), if it was a genuine mistake, but this is not the first time I have contacted Play by phone, only to find them a little curt, and offhand. Is it just me or has anyone else found this?

I've now ordered the new Led Zep live CD from CD Wow (HK), for just under £11, and the DVD set from Deep Discount for just over £15, saving around £12 on Play's prices.

2. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Play are very good, it was obviously just a mistake. Play and cdwow are some of the only companies ive never had a problem with.

3. Spoonman2

Spoonman2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    I had to phone Play last week Simon, and found the same thing, when I asked about a customs charge I was told"As its a region 1 dvd box, you have to pay import tax, if it was region 2, then we would refund you"
    I thought this was wrong, and was basically told to fok off.

So I said I would never use them again, and would now use cd-wow for everything,then slammed the phone down. :)

If I have to phone cd-wow, i get a fantastic response every time, and an apology, even if they aren`t in the wrong.

Spoony,

Note, this was a customs charge of nearly £10 on a boxset that cost £30!!! criminal m8.

4. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Why is that wrong? if you import over the customs limit, you will get charged. Some companies refund you most dont.

Cdwow and others have tried to get round it.

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    R1's Under £18- order from Play

R1's Over £18- order from somewhere else.

Pretty simple really.

Region 2's over £18 will not get charged (they have a duty paid sticker on them)

6. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yeah, I think you may have been on a sticky wicket there Spoony. They were correct with their information, and it does state on the site (somewhere) that customs charges may apply. Guess you were just unlucky.

Play have generally given me good service for about 4 years, and I have probably ordered about 100 items from them over the years. I can't fault their general service, but it's their manner over the phone I think could use some improvement. They have always sorted any problems out, which have been rare, but I find they are often quite offhand over the phone, and give the impression that they couldn't give a sh*t whether you order from them or not. That doesn't impress me, and that's my main gripe here.

7. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    why come play get hit by customs for R1 over 18quid as they ship from Belgium??

I got a few R1 recentluy and they came from Belgium+inside EU + NO VAT

8. Spoonman2

Spoonman2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    Exactly Lux, AND cd-wow put a sticker over the price if its over £18, Play dont bother.

I`m not saying they were wrong in that respect, just the shat way I have been treated, as I have used them for years, and have 7 pages of previous orders with them.
    Oh well, not dissing them, just puttin my point of view across.:smoke:

Spoony.

9. pja

pja
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Best thing to do Spoony matey is to take your custom elsewhere as you said. Play have been going downhill for a good while now imo. Cdwow go the extra mile for the customer as you said above ;)

10. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe just a technicality, but is it actually true to say that R2 DVDs over £18 will be free of import duty? (comment by Nathan - or was specific to Play.com?) I have certainly been charged duty on R2 DVDs when they were imported from a source outside the EU.
    Anyway, I tend to agree with the majority here - I still like Play, but if I'm ordering anything over £18 I'd always go for CD Wow.

Simon

11. billduff

billduff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No... Goods ordered from within the EU are free of duty. Its WHERE you buy it from not WHAT region the disc is that the important bit.

If you buy an R2 disk from an non-EU country you will be liable for duty.

I use Play quite a bit (especially their Bargain section) but their delivery times have been crap of late. Some problem with their computer system apprently and a load of stuff is still sitting in the warehouse (or so they told me).

12. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,987
    The return address is in Belgium. Actually, it's at the Airport, so it's probably a 'bonded' location, which is therefore outside the EU for tax purposes.
    You were lucky. Not all packages (on which tax is due) get trapped by the inspectors at Mount Pleasant.