Black lines going up the screen on Sky.

Bousfield64

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post. I have used the site for ages but usually find my problem allready listed

I'm having trouble with my other tv's in the house that are connected to the sky using the RF Out port.

We upgraded to SkyHD, and the box broke very Quickily and we are now back with sky+ for good. But now in the other rooms we have 2 black lines that go across the screen, going from the bottom to the top.

I have tried everything is plugged in the right port. And still no joy.

Really pulling my hair out so any help would really be appriciated.

Thanks
Ian

.. we have 2 black lines that go across the screen, going from the bottom to the top.

"Across the screen", "going from the bottom to the top" - which is it?

Or is it a "series of horizontal lines" on the screen?

Last edited:
Hi, the black lines are horizontal and move vertically up the screen.

Thanks

You have 50Hz interference somewhere. Does your cabling from RF out on the Sky box go to an amp/distributor? - Check all the connections there.

Did the other TV's work fine with the HD box when you had it?
If so, what changed when you swapped boxes?

You do have the cable in RF1 or RF2 and not RFIn???

Last edited:
It goes out of RF1 to a distributor in the loft then back to every room. We had the same problem with the hd box, but lived with it until the box died and we changed back hoping the problem would disappear.

Thanks for your help

So when did the problem "start"?

It happened when the sky man fitted the hd box. There is no problem with the tv where the box is connected directly with the scart, just the others in the house

Any difference if you use RFOut2 instead of RFOut1?

It happened when the sky man fitted the hd box. There is no problem with the tv where the box is connected directly with the scart, just the others in the house

So let me get this straight, as you have described:-

Prior to getting HD you had a Sky+ box with two additional TV's connected by RF. The TV's connected by RF had a good picture - no black lines.

You had HD fitted and immediately black lines appeared on the additional TV's.

You swapped the HD box back for the original Sky+ box and the black lines remained on the additional TV's.

Is this correct? (Doesn't sound so.)

If you had replaced the HD box with a different Sky+ box than you had before then I would suggest you re-tune your other TV's, but you say it is the original Sky+ that you had working fine before, so unless you re-tuned your TV's to the HD box and then forgot to re-tune them again when you replaced the HD box, that theory goes out of the window.

Exactly what is connected to where on the Sky box?
Do you have a terrestrial aerial connected? If so where?

I would ensure that the feed to the amp is connecteed to RF2 for a start. Depending on whether your amp can pass the magic eye signal (RF1 connection doesnt) you can fit magic eyes to bedrooms and change channels back to your box. You will also have to ensure that the RF Output is On in the Installer Menu. (Services/4,0,1)
Then retune your teles individually to pick up and store the channel. Assumed that you have the feed conected to the amp in the right input (UHF Input)
If problem persists, connect feed from RF2 direct to one of the bedroom feeds using F-conns & F barrel (by-passing amp) and see if lines persist. If not, could be the amp. If problem still exists, it is either a cabling problem on the feed or a faulty RFout. Then you have to check the connectors on the cable(s) to make sure that they are sound.
Is your aerial connected direct to the amp or to the skybox? If to the amp are you using a Y splitter to add the RF feed? If so disconnect the aerial and the Y splitter/combiner and feed the RF direct to the amp.
Let us know how you get on.

Let's agree that it is an even multiple of 25Hz...:)

Ok sit rep. I connected a separate tv with a direct cable from RF2 and it was fine, no lines across the screen. So it must be the splitter in the loft. Will change it and hope the problem goes away. Thanks everyone jeep the fingers crossed

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom