• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Black levels

Howard0000

Established Member
Hi all,

Is it normal for my TV's black to appear slightly "lighter" with the PC input (HDMI to DVI to HDMI adaptor to HDMI input on TV) than other HDMI inputs? I'm judging this with a blank screen on the Windows 7 PC, then switching to another HDMI or other input, at which point the screen goes slightly "darker".

I've read a lot about colour spaces and 16-235 vs 0-255 etc, as I was originally having issues with very washed out movies on the PC, but I believe I have sorted that now, but am still not 100 per cent satisfied with the black levels.

Is there any other tweaking I can do? I've played with the brightness/gamma controls in the graphics card control panel to not much avail. Should I just live with it? Should I buy a new TV? ;)

Thanks for any insight

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom