"Black Level"

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Blaz, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Blaz

Blaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!

It seems that I have some problems with the black level feature on the Denon DVD-900. I've tried to contact Denon without luck and I can't find anything in the manual about this. The problem is that I can't turn black level on or off. It seems like the player switches between the two modes automatically. Do some of you know how to fix this issue? And what purpose does this feature have anyway? I know it's something about gamma control but how does it work?

UPDATE: I use RGB

Thnx in advance!

2. Blaz

Blaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess I'm the only one here with a DVD-900 player...

3. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I used to have a dvd player that had a black level setting - if my memory serves me, it only affected NTSC playback via composite/s-video and didn't make any difference if using RGB.

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    RGB , Component and PAL composite all set-up for black at 0IRE.
    NTSC composite sets up for 7.5IRE. The only time the black level will be an issue is if you ever use NTSC composite and have your system calibrated for 0IRE : even then it should still look fine its the alternative situation that causes potential crushing...I think...

PAL60 should also be fine at 0IRE.

5. vc820

vc820

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Blaz

The black level feature is intended to boost the brightness of the black level within the picture. This would be particularly useful if you were watching a night scene where detail can sometimes be difficult to make out, especially if you are watching the film in a brightly lit room. It's kind of like turning up the brightness control on your television, only that this method is designed to only boost blacks and not affect the brighter parts of the picture. On my DVD 900 the black level is always set to on by default and seems to come back on every time you switch the machine off or change the disk even if it has been switched off. I also can't see any difference between the on and off setting. I am also using RGB. Maybe it only works with s\video or composite.

6. knoddie

knoddie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought the Denon DVD-900 and found this same problem.

In the manual it says:

ON: It makes the dark parts brighter (Default:On)
    OFF: Original picture which is recorded on the disc will be shown

Why Denon have not made this a setting in set-up, that will remember the option chosen is beyond me. And why default to a setting that is not as recorded?

Having spent mega dollars on a Aconda 102cm over a plasma, because the CRT blacks are real blacks, I now have a plasma like washed out picture from my DVD player.

Of course I can always change the black mode every time I play a DVD to achieve a remarkable picture...annoying though and something Denon should look at.

7. AndyDodds

AndyDodds
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Folks,
    Can you answer a few questions on the 900 for me.
    1) What's it like for CD replay, what are you running in thro'?
    2) Is it true that the front panel doesn't show track number?
    3) What do you think of the build quality, I've seen conflicting reports?
    4) If multi-region, does it auto-select the region?

Cheers folks, I'm home demoing a Marantz DV-4100OSE at the mo, running it thro my Denon 3802. The 900 is obviously the aesthetic choice, I'm wondering how it compares.

Thanks

Andy Dodds