1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

black level Yamaha S540

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nd4spd, Mar 18, 2004.

1. nd4spd

nd4spd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have used extensivelly the Digital Video Essentials disc to calibrate my KV32FX68 Sony TV and I have a question. They say, when it comes to properly setup the tv brightness with the grey pluge, that all the 3 stripes should be visible. Problem is, my S540 outputs only the 2% and 4% stripes (the inner ones, the outer one is missing) which could mean that the dynamic video range of this player is wrong.
    My question is: the third (missing) stripe is it below black or not? Should I worry about not having it? And, what is funny, I got a friend with the previous model S530 who swears that his player outputs this third stripe which I find annoying to say at least (newer model with less capability???).

Thank you for your kind replies,

Vali

2. pward

pward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Vali,

I've just gone through the same process with the same DVD player and have the same results - I cannot see the outer black line that's supposed to be there.

Is this a problem with the player or are we missing something?

Cheers,

Paul

3. nd4spd

nd4spd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Paul,

Yes, afterall I think this is a problem with the player. It's safe to assume that it's not passing "blacker than black" information. I looked everywhere in the menu for a "black" setting but I didn't find it. There is a mention in the manual about a "black level shift" thing, but that don't exist in reality. It was a confirmed typo.

Otherwise, this player is truly outstanding with interlaced pictures...

Cheers,
    Vali

4. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Another typo is the video shift which compensates for RGB shift problems, I think these are due to them being Philips based but made for Yamaha, as you say, good quality for around £100.
    Biggest problem is having to hit play twice after restart or risk restarting the disc.