black level Yamaha S540

nd4spd

Standard Member
I have used extensivelly the Digital Video Essentials disc to calibrate my KV32FX68 Sony TV and I have a question. They say, when it comes to properly setup the tv brightness with the grey pluge, that all the 3 stripes should be visible. Problem is, my S540 outputs only the 2% and 4% stripes (the inner ones, the outer one is missing) which could mean that the dynamic video range of this player is wrong.
My question is: the third (missing) stripe is it below black or not? Should I worry about not having it? And, what is funny, I got a friend with the previous model S530 who swears that his player outputs this third stripe which I find annoying to say at least (newer model with less capability???).

Thank you for your kind replies,

Vali

pward

Standard Member
Vali,

I've just gone through the same process with the same DVD player and have the same results - I cannot see the outer black line that's supposed to be there.

Is this a problem with the player or are we missing something?

Cheers,

Paul

nd4spd

Standard Member
Hi Paul,

Yes, afterall I think this is a problem with the player. It's safe to assume that it's not passing "blacker than black" information. I looked everywhere in the menu for a "black" setting but I didn't find it. There is a mention in the manual about a "black level shift" thing, but that don't exist in reality. It was a confirmed typo.

Otherwise, this player is truly outstanding with interlaced pictures...

Cheers,
Vali

Ged

Another typo is the video shift which compensates for RGB shift problems, I think these are due to them being Philips based but made for Yamaha, as you say, good quality for around £100.
Biggest problem is having to hit play twice after restart or risk restarting the disc.

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming To Netflix in October 2020. Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom