1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black level of HD plasmas?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by liam_b, Apr 22, 2003.

1. liam_b

liam_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    :hiya: Hi guys, thought I would try to draw on the collected wisdom here :)

I was looking at a Pioneer 433MXE the other day and (to me!) the most obvious visual defects were -

1. I kept seeing these horizontal lines across the panel that seemed to be dividing the picture between two different frames of video, one on the top and different (earlier?) frame on the bottom. It looks exactly like tearing on my PC monitor when playing Quake with the Frame Refresh/Vertical Sync option disabled. Is there anyway of avioding this? Do Pioneer have a double buffering option?

2. Ridiculously high black level, the screen is visibly light grey in a darkened but lit room can anything be done about this? Is there some service menu adjust to drop the black level back to invisible levels like my Sony CRT TV? Does the Panasonic 42HD5 have lower black levels?

3. All the pixel dithering is visually unpleasant and make things look crap, I saw that a Lumagen Vision scalar reduced it :clap: but didn't remove it completely, so does a HCPC via DVI avoid it completely or make it more visible?

Otherwise I found the MXE to be very quiet no loud buzzing it beats the Panasonics and Toshibas for quietness, the picture has very even brightness and is pretty bright plus red is red enough, more so than the Orange-y Red days of old, er like 3 years ago!

If I can get solutions to other problems Pioneer will be getting my cash!

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    1: This is an interesting artifact. I am trying my Vision at different refresh rates to try and minimise this. 75Hz is working quite well today with less occurances of this than usual. I think that the HD-Leeza or Key card are likely to resolve it completely

2: Not much you can do about this. I'm going to fit bias lighting behind my own 433MXE to try and create the optical illusion of better black levels, while keeping the image from being washed out. I'll be distributing these too once the 240v versions are available

3: A good PC driving out DVI might help matters. Not all HCPC's are that good though.

What sources are you wanting to watch on the thing?

Gordon

3. liam_b

liam_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I've been through the usual demos of crt vs rptv vs projectors vs plasma, I even briefly owned a Panasonic D5 plasma, which I found impressive at first then the buzzing began and got louder and louder to the point it drove me nuts!

After I recent private demo of a HCPC with a Holo3Dgraph card fed from an SDI DVD player into HD DLP, I have dropped all plans to buy a TAG DVD32R. Instead I'm looking at HD plasmas so I can take advantage of the truly awesome picture from the Holo3Dgraph.

It seems I'm very sensitive to certain video defects, probably because I'm used PC CRT monitors at 100Hz+ for a several years and the perfect geometry of LCDs on laptops. I see rainbows on every DLP I've seen except the 3 chip models, grey blacks on LCD, orange reds on older plasma, CRT projectors are out due to size/weight/blackout required. Basically I am the people call a picky b***ard :devil:

My principle source will be DVD and probably some DTV, so deinterlacing+scaling is a must.

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Well, If you are set on using the H3D on a plasma at native rate, presumably from DVI out, I'd check it working before parting with any money.......

Gordon

5. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    What is this :confused:

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
  7. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for the info. Seems like a good idea, would be interested in results.

8. ariharry

ariharry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Has anyone tried bias lights?.

Gordon - Any idea when you will get these in?.

Thanks.

9. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon I will be interested in a backlight for my RPTV- when you get a D6500K model LMK. Thanks