Black HDD to go with Elite?

DarkEntity

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Anyone heard if they are going to release a black HD DVD drive for the Elite Consoles?

I really dont want a white one sat beside my lovely black Elite console.

I would be nice, Im suprised no third party firm had come up with diff cases for the HD DVD like for the main 360. :rolleyes:

Well, they say there are no plans.

It could be a case of

'if the demand is there we'll make it'

or

'we are making a 360 Ultimte with Internal HD-DVD so no point in bring out the add-on in aother colour'

Anyone heard if they are going to release a black HD DVD drive for the Elite Consoles?.

There were a limited number of Black drives made when the Elite was released in the US but were for MS employees only!
I saw one on ebay once that reached silly money.

My HD DVD drive case somehow became dislodged on one corner so I had to remove one of the side panels to set it back properly, i damaged some of the plastic when i prised the side off, but considering it can be removed easily im surprised you cannot buy different colour outer casing. Definately a market there.

It does seem crazy not too imo, lets face how many people want a white drive beside our Black Elites?

I've got an Elite and i want a HD DVD Drive but there's no way i'm buying a white one. So come on Microsoft how hard can it be to produce a black one, after all you've done it before when you produced a limited amount for the US :lease: If you bring a black one out i'll be first in the queue :clap:

gah, naff skins :/

Or just do what I did and spray it yourself.

Its really quite simple. :cool:

360drive.jpg

I also am wanting a black HD DVD drive to go with my XBOX 360 Elite. There must be a lot of demand for it!

I thought about getting a white one and painting it black, but what about the remote control?! That will be white also!

Until a black one is available I'm sticking to Blu-ray!

HD DVD is completely region free. The DVD bit will run with the region of your console.

You can play R2 DVDs only but HD DVDs from anywhere with the HD DVD drive add on. For R1 DVDs you will require another 'solution'.

Or just do what I did and spray it yourself.

Its really quite simple. :cool:

Hello mate! Im looking to do the same for mine! Did you take the case off? Sand it down before painting etc etc?
Cheers :smashin:

To take the case off you start by pulling off the curved "spine" of the case (if you look at it as if it were a book). This then gives you access to the screws which hold the rest of the case on.

There's a guide online somewhere but I can't find it at the moment. The closest I can find is here (scroll down a bit).

Thanks for that.

did you then sand down the case or use anything prior to spraying?

what paint did you use and where did you get it from?

must admit yours looks brill at side of the elite.

link to that guide is broken anyone know best way to mod your hd-dvd so its matte black.

link to that guide is broken anyone know best way to mod your hd-dvd so its matte black.

So I sold my 360 HD drive last year and becuase of the recent 'fire sales' in HD DVD discs I nabbed another HD Drive of the bay for 20ish squids, then the modding began after having a quick browse through this post. :thumbsup:

Anyway, its a very simple process to spray it matt black your self.

Firstly crack open the HD Drive and remove all the panels that will need painting. Check this guide below for instructions on removing the panels. You will need a Torx 9 bit to remove the screws.

http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/repair/Xbox_360_HD_DVD_drive_disassembly_tutorial.htm

I didn't bother spraying the rear panel (usb slots and power socket bit) looked to fussy to remove all the wires etc so just left it and did the other panels.

So now your ready to sand down the surface of the panels using wet and dry sandpaper. I used a very low sandpaper 1500 grit/fine wet and dry to be precise. It just need to be 'keyed' to remove the top shiny layer and to help the new paint adhere well enough so it doesn't crack or peel. Don't go mad sanding the panels and keep the sandpaper wet (lubed) to help the process of keying. Clean the panels off with a damp cloth and remove any dirt and grease using a tiny bit of washing up liquid on a cloth and wiping the panels down.

Now the sanding and cleaning process is complete. The panels should be nice and dry ready for painting. I used a spray matt black available from Halfords for around 6squids.

Next up spray the panels holding the can approx 4" away from the panel and light side to side sweeps. Apply the paint gradually and let it dry before apply the next coat.

Once its fully dry (leave it for 24hs) you'll notice that the paint isnt exactly smooth so the next step is optional. You can leave it how it is, however it wont be the best finish. All you need to do is sand it down again using 1500 wet and dry and to key the new paint. Once thats done re-apply the paint and leave it to dry fully again! Once your fully happy with the finish your good to go and ready to fix it all back together! Be careful to not scratch the paint.

Finished article should look something like this below. Im currently looking for a cheap faceplate to match the same paint code as the HD DVD now. Its an OK match but I want it to match exactly lol :D

hd1nr3.jpg

hddvd1ds0.jpg

Hope that helps, :thumbsup:

Please note that I do not take any responsibilty for damages caused to the HD DVD Drive while carrying out this modification.

Update - Media Remote :thumbsup:

Media remote has now been 'colour coded' :)

Very simple process just follow the above process regarding painting.

Firstly remove the battery covver on the remote. Then remove the small screw located towards the bottom of the remote (remove the little MADE IN CHINA sticker) To open the remote get a fairly large flat head screwdriver and put it in the join along the remote. With very little pressure push and split the remote by turning the screwdriver to pry it open. You;ll have to do this in about 2-3 places on the remote to open it up.

Note: Be extra careful not to push the screwdriver all the way through the remote as you might hit a resistor :rolleyes: like I did which needed soldering back on! ;)

remoteoa8.jpg

Please note that I do not take any responsibilty for damages caused to the HD DVD Media Remote while carrying out this modification.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom