1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black HD5, how to remove scratches?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Bacon_N_Cheese, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Bacon_N_Cheese

Bacon_N_Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a TON of scratches on my buttons and screen from putting it in the crap-o-matic pouch it comes with. Is there any way to get rid of them without messing it up? The scratches shouldn't be too deep since they were attained mostly from it being rubbed against the pouch. I don't wanna try anything that will wear out the screen.

This sucks too, since I've only had it since Wednesday. I usually keep very good care my expensive products (I only have like 3 scratches on my PSP and I have had it since the release date is USA).

2. HD3

HD3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try rubbing bacon and cheese into it, miracles can happen.

3. Bacon_N_Cheese

Bacon_N_Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D Thanks for the advice :p

4. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can polish the screen with a special screen polishing kit called Displex. I removed all the scratches from my HD5 screen with it. - Just google for Displex and have it sent to you address...

5. micaab

micaab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    someone told me that "Brasso" or toothpaste can work - but i wouldn't like to put that to the test on mine

6. sulk

sulk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Toothpaste usually works on LCD screens, (on small objects such as mp3 players, remotes, etc), but Other then that I dunno if it works, and its hard to get off cause its sticky. So I wouldnt suggest using it on HD5, cause you usualy have to use water to get it off, and water + HD5 = bad mix

-Sulk

7. mavice

mavice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    generally - T-Cut or any fine cutting paste like brasso will restore plastics by removing fine surface scratches.

I have used t-cut (any fine grade paint colour restorer) on polycarb, perspex etc many times sucessfully, removing scratches and restoring the finish to a glass like gloss. Also works on badly scrached CD's (restored one that would not even read - sufficiently to retreive the data).

Like all things, test on a small area first as these pastes have solvents in and you would want to ensure compatibility with the type of plastic being treated...if in doubt..dont do it.

8. dissembled

dissembled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does that remove even really, really, really light scratches? The ones you can see only if held at a certain angle under a particular light source?

I'm crazy, you know.

9. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey dissembled - no not that crazy, I'm very similar to you. I know exactely what sort of scratches you are on about, sadly the honest answer is 'No'...

Similarly to Brasso, although much finer, Displex is an abrasive paste that will remove scratches by removing a few nanometres of the plastic screen. However it does change the surface of the screen and it kind of seems 'polished' if you look very carefully - but this is extremely hard to see and is still finer and less noticable than the scratches left by the pouch. You can only see it in certain light (usually striplighting and only from a certain angle) - not visible in direct sunlight...

I, however found an excuse to take my player back and had it swapped over - just to have that one stolen (served me right...).

Anyway - with these things prevention is much better than cure, so I have had a Proporta screen protector on my screen since the second I removed the one you get with the player. :)