1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black HD3 Aluminium Case?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by peteyoung, Apr 12, 2005.

1. peteyoung

peteyoung
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, i love my hd3 and took it with me in my bag, i had put it down and this idiot walked past and stepped right on it, cracking the silver/clear plastic around the circular buttons. I have contacted sony to see if this is covered by the warranty which it is not because it is external, ok thats fine but the buttons now get stuck and cannot be used properly, surely this would be covered? NOPE so i get given a cost of £75 for a repair which would fix the buttons but not necessarily mean a new case, so i was given a part number so i could replace the cover myself and forwarded to the parts phone number. Upon quoting the number i am told the part does not exist and probably never will and are advised to ring customer services yet again. *sighs* So as i am about to try i have the option to ring SeMe *or something like that lol* that supply the parts and i tell them the whole situation, after ages i get the price of a new case, but its a CARRY CASE! lol so he looks again and says theres nothing on the system but these are the people who should be able to supply it, so he says they must file a query and i will receive a letter from then in 3-4days telling me the price if i can get it or telling me it is not available *sniffs* Do you think i have a chance of being able to get it or know of anywhere where i might be able to? My last resort would be to either visit a Sony Store which is 1hour away in the car! or pay the £75 if it means the case is repaired also
    any suggestions welcome, any advice people please!

2. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I suggest breaking it even more, maybe drop it in a puddle and immerse it for 30 seconds or so.

Then stamp on it a couple of times.

Sounds extreme but if you do that it will be covered by the warranty (don't tell them what you did though!) and hopefully they will take 1 look at it and just exchange it.

Having said that, they could still refuse so you will be in a bit of a pickle if that is the case!

Oh well life is a gamble!

3. Hasselhoffia

Hasselhoffia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I highly recommend you DON'T immerse it in a puddle. If they get any technician to open it up, it'll be immediately obvious that it has been in contact with water and you can kiss any warranty claim goodbye. Holding a powerful magnet up to it to scramble the firmware might be the best bet! :)

4. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Use my favorite quote - "Prove it."!!!!

I spose Hasselhoffia is right, but I'm sure if you get angry they will suddenly be bending over backwards to sort it for you!

Thats why I always buy such items from high-street stores. If something goes wrong it is sooooo much easier to get it fixed.

5. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    But the warranty cleary states :

I think they will class it as physical/cosmetic damage.

6. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    If the buttons are stuck and don't work properly, surely that should be covered? Make a fuss. Sony are (hopefully!) not going to leave you with a player that does not work properly. If all else fails, threaten to contact Watchdog! :D

7. caz1979

caz1979
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok don't flame me guys but ...... if the player didn't work due to a fault under Sony's control e.g. the hard disk died then they should fix it. Seeing how your player isn't working properly due to accidental damage then it's not up to them to fix it under warranty. If the same rules applied to cars then I'd expect my local garage to touch up my car every time it got scratched or dinged.

I'm sure there are ways around the issue providing you didn't give them any personal details when you contacted them. I used to work for an insurance brokers and it was amazing the number of people who wrote in to claim for something only to be told that it wasn't covered, then refered to the insurance booklet then strangely enough the customer would write in claiming for something totally different .... a clear case of fraud. The odd time people just phoned in to check what was covered under their policy but the staff always took a customer reference to look up their policy then log a phone note against the policy in case they tried claiming under suspicious circumstances.

I hope you get sorted but I wouldn't get peeved with Sony when it's not exactly their fault. Maybe you could claim under your house insurance??? Just an idea.

8. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    That is a fair point. But pete has spent around £200 for an mp3 player which is now useless.

This is why I bought my HD1 from Argos. A few months after I got it, the button dial on the front broke and fell off (not sure how, I may have sat on it or something!), so I took it back. Because they no longer stocked the HD1, they gave me a refund for £299, and I promptly bought the HD3 for £249! :thumbsup:

9. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    And that was done by Argos at their discretion. Not by Sony. You were lucky. (I'm just going to wrap my car round a lamp post and take it back to gaarge and demand a replacement) :rolleyes:

10. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I know that was done by Argos, not Sony. The point I am making is when you buy expensive electronic items such as this, you should always consider what you would do if it broke.

If I was mugged or my car was broken into (actually I don't have a car but still!) and my player was stolen, as long as I got a crime reference number (I think thats what its called?!) from the police then I would be able to get a replacement from Argos, under the guarantee.

A year or two ago I got a Sony MZN-510 Net MD player from Currys, along with an extended 5 year guarantee, which cost an extra £30. After a couple of months I broke the crocodile clip bit on the remote. Not very serious, but I took it back and they exchanged the remote for free.

That is why I would never buy expensive products such as an mp3 player off the internet. You may have to pay more at a high street store, but if the player breaks you are much more likely to get it fixed/replaced.

11. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    So it's not really Sony who is responsable, as implied by this post.