Black Hawk Down

BrynTeg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is out on r2 tomorrow,should i get it as it looks full of features or is there a r1 sp directors super duper charged up edition due for release soon!!!:clown:

A R1 S/E is due at some point, hpwever no announcement has yet been made. The R1 edition should be this year and should be DTS but nothing is confirmed as yet. Me, I'm waitng for the R1 in the hopes of a DTS track......

Get the R2 tommorow if you're not bothered about DTS - it will be a great package.

The region 01 release coming early next year will be a 3-disc set but will not feature dts.

The Dutch release will be limited to a 1 and 2 disc release.
The 3-disc set has been deleted from the releaseschedule.

I'm going for the R2 release tomorrow, courtesy of those nice folks at Virgin who sent me a £15 Credit Voucher for signing up to their credit card (lovely 6 months interest free credit) :).

Originally posted by Wedlock
The region 01 release coming early next year will be a 3-disc set but will not feature dts.

Where did you hear this mate?

Originally posted by tee

Where did you hear this mate?

..from the guy producing the dvd who is a posting member on another forum (HTF). There will be no DTS because they were wasn't enough space left. Shame they went with a couple more extra commentary tracks (3 in all) over DTS even though he says Ridley Scott likes to have DTS on his DVD's.

So will the R1 3-disk set feature the Somalia documentary (as was supposed to be on the Dutch R2)?

Pity it's not that brilliant a movie!!

Firstly i disagree with the above post and have to say i thought this movie was awesome, one of the best i have seen, secondly i am ****ed off i bought the region 4 version a while back watched it loved it BUT thought the sound was no where NEAR as good as it should be it was a bad 5.1 soundtrack, i sold it shortly after hoping for a special edition DTS now your telling me there is no DTS version this is crap, stuff the 3 commentaries we want DTS for christ sake, this movie received oscars for best soundtrack so please let us enjoy it in all its glory PLEASE!!!

i suppose i will have to settle for the 5.1 region 1 Special Edition and hope they get the 5.1 track right this time but i am still ****ed

:((((((((((((((((

If you want a dts track betamac you can buy the Swedish version which streets tomorrow (18-09-2002) or the Japanese version which streets on 17 October 2002.

Both are anamorphic and feature removable subs.

Greetz,

Sorry to keep questioning you Wedlock :D but where did you hear about the Swedish and Japanese DTS verisons? I really want this film in DTS and would definitely be interested...... I checked the CDJapan site and it says nothing about DTS on the forthcoming release of BHD?

Cheers

Thanks wedlock thats great news and has made my day :) just need to find a site which sells those versions as the only sites i know of are region 1 2 or 4

Thanks again

Anyone know of any english sites which sell either jpn or scande.... (cant spell it lol) versions i dont even know what region they are?

Do you chaps really rate DTS that much over DD? what kit are you using that clearly defines the "difference"? Asides from DTS NOT being technically superior to DD (pay little or no heed to bit-rate issues between DTS/DD as regards the end result quality) there are scant few (although they are there) examples i have found of conclusive superiority.

Steve.

I have a Sony S7700 DVD player Sony 1070 AMP and Mission Speakers (6.1)

I get asked this question quite alot from my mates, and i always tell them yes i can clearly say i rate DTS over DD, its hard to explain why it just seems to have more more quality BUT i would not normally go out my way to get DTS over DD apart from this movie, as like i mentioned before i bought the region 3 version (i think it was 3 the asia dvd) and i was expecting huge things from the soundtrack with the awards etc and it all just seemed so FLAT, the movie was excelant BTW, so i dont want to risk buying the region 1 DD version and feeling the same way, thats why i want the DTS version as i have never been let down by a DTS track and i own about 40 DVDS (about 15 of which are DTS) i want to watch this movie again and enjoy the sound as much as the movie :)

I use the Denon AVC-A1SR and Denon DVD-A1 as equipment and I think this doesn't have to do with anything if you have nice hardware or not.

DTS has always proven itself against most dolby tracks.
Many people say that Episode 1 for instance is a great dolby track which I think is realy a bad one.
This just because the track on the laserdisc is so much better.

I think it is a personal matter.
I personally like dts above dolby simply because it sounds so much more natural and more effective than dolby.
Titles like The Haunting and Saving Private Ryan are absolutely
great in dts while the dolby track is nice but not satisfying enough.

The fact that people would like to have Black Hawk Down in dts is their own choice.

I would love to have it in dts as well :D

Originally posted by betamac
i dont even know what region they are?

Both Japan and Europe (including Scandanavian countries - Sweden, Denmark, Norway) are region 2.

http://www.dvdoo.com/dvdoo/film.asp?Command=8710

this is a link to the page for Black Hawk Down at www.dvdoo.dk and as you can see it's got English DTS.
If you want to order from them, email them as they all speak good English. I've used them several times and they're very helpful.

Alternatively, I can cut'n'paste my own "dopes guide to ordering from dvdoo without speaking Danish" which will help you muddle through the same way as it does me.
Your best bet's to email them though

I have to agree with betamac.
Although I bought the R2 version yesterday.
The sound was very good with bullets and RPG's flying around your room. But I found the explosions to be slightly flat. (but still just about satisfying)
This may have been to do with when most of the explosions occurred the film was slowed down for dramtic effect.
Maybe they flattened the bass slighty for this reason as the explosive sound effect had to be slowed down also?

I would say go with this version anyway as the sound still rocks.

Is the 3 disc R1 SE confirmed. If so whens it expected and is it worth waiting for.

Its confirmed, No release date yet, and thirdly worth waiting for? well to be onest i dont understand why they decided to use the sapce for 3!!!!! commentaries instead of DTS, nearly all SE's have DTS, do you really need 3 commentaries? how can you release a huge 3 Disk set and NOT include DTS it sems very very strange to me

??

never mind i have now ordered the region 2 DTS version from the site posted above

I love commentarys but 3 is over the top. American Pie 2 was spoiled by to many individual commentarys instead of 2 good group commentarys.

Originally posted by Rambo John J

Both Japan and Europe (including Scandanavian countries - Sweden, Denmark, Norway) are region 2.

this is a link to the page for Black Hawk Down at www.dvdoo.dk and as you can see it's got English DTS.
If you want to order from them, email them as they all speak good English. I've used them several times and they're very helpful.

Alternatively, I can cut'n'paste my own "dopes guide to ordering from dvdoo without speaking Danish" which will help you muddle through the same way as it does me.

I e mailed them and never got a reply, could you send me your guide to ordering from them? BTW what are the usual delivery charges to the U.K?

Originally posted by Rambo John J

I e mailed them and never got a reply, could you send me your guide to ordering from them? BTW what are the usual delivery charges to the U.K?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom