1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black Hawk Down

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Desticado, May 9, 2002.

1. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Any news on when the SE version of this will be released. Ie the version with extras, commentary etc as opposed to the bare movie release that come out start of June.

Regards

2. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As the bare bones version comes out start of June, I reckon you'll probably start getting info about the SE sometime around mid-June :)

3. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,018
    The UK 2 disc SE is slated for September I think. It was when I preordered it anyway.
    Funnily enough, the same day as Warners release their SE of When We Were Soldiers in the UK.

There's no date set for the US SE release of Black Hawk Down as of yet.

4. s9s

s9s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any news when the true version of events released? Including the killing of women and children by US sodiers????????

5. Der_Pobman

Der_Pobman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just seen the first 60 minutes of this film... awful... its like watching the A-Team ... bullets flying everywhere, and missing most of the americans...
    at least the A-Team did not try to be serrious... if Black Hawk is supposed to be 'true' to actual events then its even more of a joke...

Not as bad as Pearl Harbour though, must be just about the worst 'blockbuster' I have seen.

Regards

Der Pobman

6. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to say i though Pearl Harbour was a fantastic film one of the best i have seen in fact, so from your comments it looks like Black hawk down will be even better as it seems we have completely opposite tastes in Films :)

Not long til it arrives now

7. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Oh dear...:rolleyes:

8. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Not seen pearl harbour yet (waiting for the 4disk set) but I really enjoyed Black Hawk Down at the cinema. I was incredibly sceptical before watching it that it would be overly jingoistic, American supremist pap but I was quite pleasently surprised.

I thought it was very well filmed and despite a lot of it is just one long gunfight it really held my attention. Sure some of it is a bit glossed over. For instance they bitch when the Pakistanis wont come immediately to bail them out on 5 mins notice when the yanks had been planning the mission for ages and hadnt even bothered to notify any of the other countries with troops in the city that they were conducting a major military exercise.

Were Women and children killed in reality? I dont know but I imagine if they were carrying guns and shooting at the soldiers then they probably were. This was a major fight that went on for two days in the middle of a hostile city afterall, I cant see US soldiers gunning down massed innocent civilians although I can see accidents happening. After all since the Falklands the US has killed approximately the same number of british troops as the IRA!!

Regards

9. Plastikman

Plastikman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've read the book but not seen the film, and the americans took a real tanking!! Dying to see this film to see how it compares, I definately recommend the book if your looking for a good read. The only thing I don't know is whether to hold out for the R1 Special Edition or just go and order the R3 version which is out on tuesday! The R3 seems to have plenty of extras unlike the bare bones R1 version that is going to be rreleased in June.

What should I do guys? Any ideas.

10. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Could you post a link for the extras on the R3 disk.

If I was desperate to see this movie then I think I'd for the R3 disk as it seems a fairly good deal. Since Im not that desperate I think I'll wait for the R1 or R2 SE which is sure to follow shortly.

11. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have the R1 on pre order and was thinking about the R3 as far as i know the R1 has DTS sound,does the R3 disk have DTS or just dolby 5.1?

Thanks

BTW the DTS track on Pearl Harboar is superb especially during the batle scenes!!

12. Plastikman

Plastikman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  13. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK looks like neither Region 1 or Region 3 is DTS thats a shame, any one have any experience with CD WOW in terms of delivery time?

14. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    As Betamac points out there is not DTS but the disk looks a pretty good package. Bearing in mind this movie got an oscar for best sound I think I'll wait for the DTS SE disk but if your keen to see this movie you could always buy it and then sell it on EBAY to raise funds for the SE disk.

Regards

15. Ignatious

Ignatious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know exactly what sort of extra's to expect on this 2 disc version? I don't think I can stand to see another rubbish 'made for GMTV' style making-of featurette. Full of talking heads talking nonsense....If the film itself is enhanced, with extra scenes or the like, then I might wait.

16. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Betamac: I've used CD-Wow a couple of times now and they deliver very quickly. I've had two pre-orders around 4 to 5 days before official US release and an 'in-stock' item took 2 days after ordering.

I saw Black Hawk Down at the cinema and was a *little* let down by it. That said, the fight sequences should be great for demoing :)

17. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hmmm, never imagined anyone would make a comparison between pearl harbour and black hwak down, but 'spose it's justified.

I had read the book previously, written by Mark Bowden, who then contributed/screenplayed the movie. Both book and movie are supposedly based on interviews with every soldier involved, and I believe they are a fair representation of that.
    It is clear - http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/feature/2002/03/12/sexton/
    that the US military lent scott helicopters once they were happy with the content of the movie.
    I do also think the book and movie are somewhat at fault for not giving a fairer insight into the background politics of the events.

I have only fired handguns, and am not sure what experiences you have, but I'm assuming the film is realistic on this part - untrained, underfed somalis picking up weapons they've never fired before are unlikely to hit american soldiers trained in the art of hiding behind walls. Yet I'm sure bullets were flying everywhere.

and when you read the accounts of how scared the soldiers were, it is hard to believe they carefully picked out only the armed men from a crowd of somalis, the film plays down the number of women and children killed much more than the book does.

yeah, my friends commented on that when seeing the film, but I guess that is the problem of the true story - by all accounts, it was just one long firefight, with a pause of a couple of hours early morning. Fair play to ridley for not trying to get an love interest in there. hence my major surprise at the pearl harbour comparison.

What ridley didn't do, and probably becuase of US military intervention, is clearly show the amount of total cock-ups the soldiers in charge made, a string of mistakes that caused them to get that real tanking.

I have seen some of the CNN and US film extras shown on History channel. The CNN pieces are good, because they show footage, and you can see exactly what the somali's look like. The history channel piece was one big Mark Bowdon special, so just like the film and book.

I think Scott did a great job of filming, good atmosphere and tension, and got quite close to the book. :) Refreshing to see a film based on real events, and one that doesn't feature Mel Gibson being american.:p

18. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    nice piece Bonesy.

Care to share your knowledge on the american cockups...

I love being able to torment my american pals with the info.

19. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Both book and movie are supposedly based on interviews with every soldier involved"

Not that the dead ones added much to it :p

I guess it is to Ridley's credit that he turns essentially a day's fighting into a watchable and enjoyable film. The slightly bizarre (coloured) lighting during the night scenes made it look a little 'cartoon'-ish and less realistic though.

As for the women and children thing... these people were picking up guns and trying to kill soldiers. What were the US troops supposed to do, award them points for their firearm skills?

20. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Jerry bruckhiemer would have had mel gibson carefully shoot the somali womens' trigger finger, causing a slight grazing sufficiently painful for the women to drop the firearm, fall for Mel, and pray at the alter of the holy dollar.

21. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would that be with, or without, blue face paint?