1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black Hawk Down Superbit?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Synchronicity, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Has anyone got the R2 superbit with DTS edition of BHD?I have the standard edition but wondered if it was worth getting the superbit :confused:

Ive read the reviews of the R1/R3 Superbit edition and the sound and picture quality both got top marks(IIRC),but is the R2 up to the same standard?
    Cheers,
    JB

2. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I have both editions, but was dissapointed with the PQ to be honest. It looks as though the original print was grainy to begin with. I bought my copy for £9.99 which isn't too bad for a second copy of the same film. Not worth the upgrade imo.

3. lazarus

lazarus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
  4. bom bom

bom bom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I were you I would go for the Korean region 3 Superbit Deluxe version instead of the region 2. It has three DVDs plus a CD featuring the original motion Picture soundtrack. Disc one is a Superbit version of the film giving you two discs worth of extras plus the CD! It only costs around £15 - £16!

5. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    TBH,Im not bothered about extra discs with commentarys/making the movie featurettes,etc.I never end up watching them anyway.Its just that I remember reading that the DTS track on the superbit copy was reference quality and quite an improvement over the DD track. :confused:

6. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I recomend either the Superbit or the standard Japanese R2 editions.
    They both come in DTS and both have stunning picture quality.
    (no extras though)

7. owey

owey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Whats koreandvds.com like, compared to say Cd wow? do they use voucher codes and do they only sell in $? :rolleyes:

8. silent ninja

silent ninja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    poor film... they potray the enemy as a bunch of unorganised street 'thugs' (didn't america lose this war?), whilst at the same potraying themselves as righteous and superior, fighting in a 'humane' manner.
    The scene where the pilot crashes the chopper, leaving him stranded on his own and surrounded by an enemy army summed it up. He manages to kill what 10-15 or more soldiers all on his own with NO cover? Then two of his comrades show up, not only do they get through the barrage of enermy soldiers, but between them manage to wipe out what looked like half the enemy soldiers. Reminded me of Rambo and 80's movies (btw platoon is far better). Also the countless number of times the enemy soldiers would fight WITHOUT hiding behind any barriers or objects, and of course get shot down like flies. It happens through the whole file, which idiot would fight without cover, let alone these people who had probably fought half their lives?

The battles themselves are well fought and the brutality of war is well depicted. Realism is somewhat lost due to pathetic scenes like the one above and blatant american bias, and for this reason this film is unconvincing.

9. lucem

lucem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've never taken part in a war of any description so have no frame of reference with which to make worthwhile judgements about the 'realism' (or not) of war films.

10. ns1col

ns1col

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've just read the book and it described the somalian malitia as being hooked on "khat" which is a mild stimulant and at the height of the afternoon the militia men would have
    high on this and not so concerned about their safety. The book also desribes the malitia men as very brave when it came to the battle and the people in general tended to flock to any battle or disturbance rather than flee/run in the opposite direction.

11. silent ninja

silent ninja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The film does not convince. One guy taking out 15 enemies all on his own with no cover?
    You dont have to have been in a war. We'll never know how a war is unless we've been to one, but you have some sort of frame of reference. Does Rambo convince you? He would take at an army on his own? Everyone has an idea, when its exaggerated or goes over the top, it just becomes unrealistic and thus unconvincing as a viewer.

Being brave is one thing, they are potrayed as complete reckless idiots.

12. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    In your oinion pf course :D Personally, I love it...in my opinion :smashin:

By the way, Khat is the Somali equivalent of pot, cannabis, weed et al. An area of Bristol is inhabited by somalians who make up 22% of the demigraphic of the suburb. Many attend my office high on Khat which destroys teeth as well as brains :lesson:

Cheers,

Captain Benefit.

13. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    eerrrr,didnt they show countless errors that were made by the americans,many of which resulted in american casualties?Hardly portraying them as some rambo type elite fighting machines.

At the end of the day,America was the far superior force with highly trained proffesional soldiers and a huge arsenal of advanced weaponry.In fairness the Somalians probably were like "street thugs" in comparison.The statisitcs displayed at the end of the film give some indication that it was a case of single american soldiers taking out LARGE amounts of enemy soldiers.

Im no soldier so am unable to make a judgement on how "realistic"the film was but I did thoroughly enjoy it.I know there are some forum members who are in a far better position to make that judgement so I will leave it up to them.
    *goes off to buy a copy with DTS*

14. silent ninja

silent ninja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure there were far more Somalians killed than Americans. Tanks, artillery and mainly aerial power would explain that. Not from hand to hand street fights.
    Anyway, i'm going to stop replying now. Its an "okay" film at best but for those who enjoy it, good for you :D

15. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    to be honest, this is the same for most american movies of any type. americans seem to be egotistical and think they are the centre of the world. it's not just black hawk down. look at any movie.. independence day, the americans save the world, the patriot, the americans beat the EVIL english, even something like titanic that managed to portray jack the criminal who illegally borded the ship as a hero and the ENGLISH people as evil and maniacal. the country needs a reality check, which might eventually filter through to the movies and show the americans as the lazy, glory takers that they are, but unfortunately blair is so up george bush's ass that this government will never change anything. sorry that went a bit political but i believe that for the little things to change, the big things have to change first. The greatest scene in a movie of recent memory must be the scene in Love Actually where Hugh Grant as Prime Minister stands up to the president of the US and tells him (like Blair should have done years ago) that we're not their butt monkey and we will not follow them blindly into one pathetic confliict after another ( i mean the iraq conflict is a joke, and is only about stealing iraq's oil, and i dare anyone to disagree)

16. silent ninja

silent ninja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Getting political for this forum but... i understand you're point completely and agree :D

17. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,839
    Hey guess what, all of those movies you mention were made in America, what do you expect? :rolleyes: No-one forces you to watch them.

Nice generalisation, all Americans are lazy? That's a completely ignorant statement.

Wow, wondered how long that would take to crop up :rolleyes:

I disagree with many things about American policy and I don't agree with the Iraq conflict, but your own attitude smacks of JUST what you're railing about on America.

Anyway, BHD? Great movie, great sound, and the DTS track is better in this case:)

BadAss, if the film-stock itself is grainy, so will the dvd regardless of its "Superbit" status:)

18. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    judging by when i posted that, i was very, very drunk, so perhaps i was less eloquent than i could have been, but on the whole i stand by my comments, i don't mean to say every american, i was generally basing my comments on the army and the film industry. And just because a film is american, doesn't mean they have to make themselves out to be flawless, i mean look at British movies, we manage to portray ourselves in more than just one light, so they should be able to as well, but their ego's are too fragile.. just wait for the film about 9/11 .. it'll happen one day and it'll be yet another factually incorrect love story like titanic or pearl harbor, and i guess in 10 years we'll see a movie about the iraq conflict, and i'm sure we can guess how accurate that will be already.. the scenes with the iraqi prisoners being sexually assaulted will probably not make the cut ;)

19. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    buy the 3 disc SE and watch the doc's on disc three - you'll see how close the film is to what really happened. i thought the film was one of the worst adverts for the american army that i've ever seen. they came across as inept and gung ho. the first time i saw it i thought it was quite poor but a friend convinced me to watch it again and i thought it was much better second time round. I just love Ridley Scott's direction the mans a genius. (oh crap i've just thought about Blade Runner again!!! aaaarrrggghhhh!!!!)

the soundtrack is a killer but after 2 and half hours of sustained heavy gunfire my brain really begins to hurt.

Gary