Black Hawk Down? (First BD50)

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Anyone know if Black Hawk Down is still being released tomorrow? As most are aware this is the first scheduled BD50 and something of a milestone for BluRay. Given it was hailed as proof that BD50s were viable now I was just wondering if it's still on track? Everything seems very quiet - no cover shots, no reviews, no hype - yet it is still scheduled everywhere as 15 August.

criggy

Rasczak said:
Anyone know if Black Hawk Down is still being released tomorrow? As most are aware this is the first scheduled BD50 and something of a milestone for BluRay. Given it was hailed as proof that BD50s were viable now I was just wondering if it's still on track? Everything seems very quiet - no cover shots, no reviews, no hype - yet it is still scheduled everywhere as 15 August.
Maybe BD50s won't matter if what paramount are doing with M:I3 is true.

Apparently, M:I3 is coming on 2 discs(on both formats)because 2-disc sets are "more marketable" than sinlge discs!

Make's both format's dual-layer discs pointless if this set's a trend.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Maybe BD50s won't matter if what paramount are doing with M:I3 is true.

Apparently, M:I3 is coming on 2 discs(on both formats)because 2-disc sets are "more marketable" than sinlge discs!
I read the press release about MI:3 but I didn't realise they were releasing it on two discs. That said they do seem to be piling up the extras including an HD DVD exclusive video commentary - as this is likely to be the first of many it'll be interesting to see if it's any good.

Make's both format's dual-layer discs pointless if this set's a trend.
Well it certainly makes the benefits less advantageous - especially for BluRay (HD DVD does need 30GB for some movies IMHO). As I have said from the start it's all very well to have one disc with a massive capacity which you can fill with extras - however the consumer will still say "single disk, single disk price". A 2 disk set can always command a higher price.

Nic Rhodes

Matt Horne said:
Have u got the BR player then Nic ?
Not yet, as I wasn't overly impressed with what I saw, but it hasn't stopped me 'planning' for the future and having discs available fo 'shoot outs' :D I have hopes for a nice Panny :) Need to add some quality and features to the Samsung effort I think first.

Re the two disc sets, I have always thought both formats will go this route just like DVD did. It does sort of kill one BD big potential assets though, not that all of us saw it as a major difference considering what was needed for a film. It is interesting that this 'development' come from the software supplier and not the hardware lot however. The latter seem to think more is always better, the former makes the best package it can given the constraints placed on it.

Noggin1980

FOXCLOSE said:
It looks like Black Hawk Down has been quietly delayed!

http://www.dvdtown.com/discdetails/blackhawkdownblu-raydelayed-da/19177/

This was announced as a BD50 title back at the CES show in January.

hmmm.... looks like BD50 discs are STILL not ready yet again!

It should explain why Disney are NOT releasing any big titles this year
Release date: December 1, 2006 :eek: Huge delay

Edit - oh just realised it says date TBA at the top, maybe the December date is just a placeholder.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Better a delay than push it out on MPEG2 on a BD25 I suppose. This is one title I will definetly want when I get a BluRay player so hopefully they'll get it right when they eventually release it.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
The OP new this.

He was taking the pee
He didn't actually. All the sites I visited (Amazon, Movietyme, High Def Digest) all listed BHD as 15 August still. It's only subsequently to my post that High Def Digest has added the news article.

Why has Sense & Sensibility been pulled? :confused:

Nic Rhodes

I think EVERYONE missed that one, even BA! Especially as many sites have been listing it as launched today up until the end.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Guess that is it for BD50s for now then... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Another couple of months of shoddy, MPEG2 releases for the BluRay?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom