Black Friday budget subwoofer?

stevereed

Standard Member
I have a Yamaha RX V430RDS teamed with Mission M72i speakers. Not looking to upgrade everything but would like to add a subwoofer for a bit more grunt when watching movies. Looking for suggestions for a subwoofer that won't break the bank but will add value to my sound system. Is there anything out there for around £150? I have my eye out for Black Friday deals.

Cheers

Steve

Ultrasonic

stevereed

Standard Member
Looks like a very good option at a good price. I also like the fact that it isn't the size of fridge!

Steve

Ultrasonic

@b1g1an might disagree... :laugh: From he`s experience it was total garbage. Wait to see what next week brings regarding BF deals.
In which case scrap that idea then! As I was careful to point out I was purely going on spec.

Bronze458

Standard Member
For that price range it might be worth seeing what you can get second hand.
You might get a second hand BK xls200 for around the £200 mark.
They do have a gemini on their outlet store for about 200 if you wanted new.

Ultrasonic

For that price range it might be worth seeing what you can get second hand.
That was my first thought too but the tricky bit is if the OP has a really tight budget then they may not want to take the risk of a second hand sub failing without a warranty.

Again on spec alone, the following looks the most promising option from Richer Sounds:

Revel B8 (White)

Does anyone here have experience with one to comment?

Gasp3621

Tannoy TS 8.2 could be another decent option. 179£, but little talk with the sales guy and who knows..

Ed Selley mentioned in AVF Tannoy HTS 101 review;

The 110Hz crossover does show the TS2.8 to be a bit of a star though. This is the first Tannoy sub I've tested since the larger (and similarly designed) TS2.12 and the comparisons are interesting. The smaller sub is possessed of the same smooth, deep and full bass of its big brother (with the obvious caveats that it won't go as deep) but whereas the 2.12 can sound a bit wayward when things get really lively - think Pacific Rim- the smaller sub manages to keep a greater sense of control and agility. Whether this is purely down to smaller drivers or whether Tannoy has tweaked the behaviour of the TS2.8, it feels faster, cleaner and more assured than its big brother even if it can't match the truly prodigious low end of the 2.12.