Black frame around video, how to remove it ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by charentejohn, Aug 7, 2013.

1. charentejohn

charentejohn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have found info on this in a few places but no simple answer.
    I have a Sony BDP185 DVD player which is great but I can't seem to solve this by changing settings on it. I am viewing on an (old these days) Sony KDL40V2000 TV via HDMI so zoom doesn't work.

For video recorded in Mpeg-2 via Humax box and into DVD player by USB stick, no problem.
    For DVDs recorded on old panasonic recorder burner, problem.
    The DVD has a thick black border via the player and also windows media player.

I used Vidioredo H264 version to convert the video and 'cropped' the output. That worked but reduced the quality, as it just expanded it I think.

Is there a magic setting I can use to fix this as neither player or TV zoom works so that is out. The DVDs play fine on an old Lite-on player I have, using Scart, size etc correct.

Could be HDMI related ? no idea as I don't know the ins and outs of most of this stuff, but willing to learn. Any ideas on what I can try and I will give it a go.

2. charentejohn

charentejohn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just another thought, I have Videoredo and can output a file in different formats, probably won't help as it really just edits and outputs in the same way, maybe a different format would change info and remove the black surround ?

3. charentejohn

charentejohn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Lots of people viewed this but nobody knows the answer.
    I have a sort of solution, Videoredo (upgrade cost to me $50) can trim the picture changing from letterbox to widescreen. Using the change to 16:9 doesn't work and seems to be a sound problem importing from disc.

Nero Video 12 (my least favourite product) can sort of do it as well. Imports from DVD ok but if DVD has many sections, like when ads removed, you have to expand the picture to fill the screen on all of them. Seems no way to merge them. Only way is to create with Nero or Videoredo, then run through as one file.

Neither ideal as not simple, still it will get there in the end, importing and exporting as one file then reimport and resize will take Nero 2+hrs. Videoredo takes 5 mins but sound still a problem.