1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black felt? doesnt exist in Birmingham so it seems :(

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by jrwood, Oct 31, 2001.

1. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unbelievable, I've phoned around about 15 fabric stores in Birmingham and none of them sell felt!.

I`m not exactly asking for kryptonite here :rolleyes:

2. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    OK,

I guess you are trying to create some form of blanking material, yes?

I looked at one of your links for Rubbit Hutch felt... It's NOT what you need unless you have a flat roof that's leaking in to your cinema...then it might work;)

That stuff is roofing felt. Rough on one side and sticky tar on the other.

I have purchased small sheets of black felt from art shops for experiments on CRT projectors. Unfortuantely black felt seems to be dark grey and also pretty shiny so not much use.

If you are making blanking material tehn much more effective and cool looking is BLACK DRESS VELVET. Available from dress making shops, haberdashers and fabric outlets. I got some with nice gold brocaide on it for under £20. It's usually sold off the drum byh the metre for around £10-£15 per linear metre. Just cut off the fancy bits and away you go!

Gordon

4. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After phoning another 10 fabric shops asking if they sold Velvet the only shop which did only has it in two-tone (brown/black) at 4.50 a yard (60cm wide).

Great

this city is crap!

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    I got mine from Mandors in Cambrdge St Glasgow. I went in and looked around and couldn't see any so I asked the oldest loong assistant. Moments later she had found some lying in a corner.

Keep trying.

Gordon

6. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Most photo places sell blackout material for darkrroms, if you want really dark.

You could try www.jessops.co.uk see if they have sizes, mind you it's fairly expensive.

7. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have you tryed wondering the markets ?

it's very suprising what you can find . i have seen bress felt going for £2 a meter . i got some black silk stuff that was just perfect for covering my speakers in the cabinet for a quid a meter

8. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The markets are great, the problem is at the moment you will probably notice (or maybe not ;)) that the bullring centre looks like a nuke bomb has landed...

I'm not sure when the markets will be fully back but what there is at the moment is pathetic to say the least. Im surprised the haberdashy in places like Rackhams/Beatties has'nt got this type of stuff but it seems in Birmingham everyone buys pre-made stuff...

Ive been looking for a month now getting bored of it, in fact today I was on the phone and the lady said you spoke to me the other day did'nt you and I said most likely!.

The stuff in jessops seems quite heavy, I think once I find a supplier for blackout material I will setup a niche market and sell it for a 50 quid a metre..
    :p

9. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    btw if anyone is bored there are a few webcams of what they are doing, a month ago it really did look like a bomb had landed in the middle of Birmingham!. They sure were digging up a lot of earth/concrete!. At the moment it looks like a wasteland!.

http://www.bullring.co.uk/existing/eye1.asp

10. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just been and had a look at the cams .

i see now why you may have a slight problem visiting the market .

hope everything is sorted soon so you can have access to all those lovely bolts of fabric and stuff . i don't know what i'd do with out are market .

i supose i would have to .. no the thought is to horrible (go in a shop[ and pay full price);)

shame you don't live around here . the indoor market at wakfield sells black velvet :D

11. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi JR,have you tried any of the local friendly asian material shops,esp` down the stratford road/sparkhill area,they do every material under the sun and at prices so cheap:eek: not sure if they have exactly what you are loking for,but hey it`s worth a shot,haven`t the markets opened up again in their new home just up from where they used to be,or is that just in a limited capacity?? have not checked it out yet,must admit I hate going to brum now after working there every day for 5 years and ,everyone is so miserable/aggresive/insert your own opinion that a trip their is not the happy one it used to be:(

12. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless the new market is hidden then maybe Im missing something but there is a LOT of building work going on still! (near bullring centre is still massively flattened!.

Yeah Ive tried all up the stratford road and even dressmaker shops in shirley too to no avail. Some have got it in but its the wrong colour or fancy two tone colours!.

Ill try John Lewis tomorrow in Solihull they are open until 8pm anyway.

James

13. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah the new market is on the new road they have built on the right hand side if you are coming up from the ice rink- Silverblades(i think),but try JL I was in their a while back and their fabric dep` is massive:eek: good hunting

14. JDC

JDC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

I used to work as an event organiser & we frequently needed blackout fabrics. The material is pretty heavy duty, but try sourcing it from 'BlackOut Triple E'. They're London based but geography is no issue for them. Visit www.tabtrack.com or tel 020 8687 8400. They're in Wimbledon.

Good hunting,

JDC

15. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
  16. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John Lewis is the store to go to for fabric!

:)

p.s I think I have the same stuff as you, it has a small gold pattern at the seam but thats been cut off :clown: oh and it doesnt reflect the light one bit!

17. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wouldn't the title of this thread have been so much better if it had been "Where can I get felt in Birmingham?".

18. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,455
    When I last went for a day shopping I find numerous places that I could have felt :)