Black Dvdr

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by hornydragon, Nov 26, 2004.

1. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    OK i am looking for a black DVD recorder with RGB input and component output I have found this beast but at £500 is a bit steep.. http://www.shoppersworld.co.uk/temp...t.asp?s=80&d=1265&p=25236&c=9&s1=66&s2=0&s3=0
    So any other options.....not too fussed on HDD but would be nice at the right price If only panny offered colours!!!! (at the same price) £500 for an E65 with no scarts in a black case is way over the top

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Your best bet might be to try to import a European model - Germany tends to be the favoured location - in which case have a look at the Panasonic E55, Panasonic E85 or the Sony Range. Needless to say the internal tuner won't work - but then who records from that these days anyway?

As for a good place to buy in Germany...

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    my house mate is working in Dusseldorf this week.................. pity as i wont have time to research it properly before he goes back........
    Thanks for the tip... are you sure they wont have a PAL-I/B/G tuner in them......... wonder what the warranty would be pan euro???

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    TBH I'm not sure - I have no experience with the German market at all.

I have no idea on that either. But at the risk of tempting fate DVD recorders from Panasonic and Sony are fairly reliable things. If it works on day 1 then it should continue to do so. And if it arrives broken I'm sure you can send it back to the retailer. EU wide post isn't exactly expensive.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    By the way if ordering online and you choose a Panasonic model - ensure it is the 'K' version as that indicates it is Black.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    http://www.technikdirekt.de/main/page.xp?pageid={257D393D-D7BF-42D9-90D3-101B8F15541D&SESSIONID=T/E1A2BQ0Q9ORBOGZLCZLV&DS=1&TS=2607270354&history=set

they have JVC and panny in black......... Why do we get short changed so
    not fair.........hows everybodys german??http://www.technikdirekt.de/main/compare/show.asp

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    and S is for silver but why no "k" in uk does not make sense.....

8. nemo

nemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    There is a review of a black DVD recorder in this months HCC magazine. It was a model I've never heard of before NISSAN DR-100BB. The price they quoted was £170. It got a decent review but does'nt have an RGB input, It does have component out tho. They gave a url for there website www.nissantechnology.co.uk but having just checked the site is still under construction.

9. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    The German Sony's will work fine in the UK, as you can select the PAL variant (I / B / G) in the menu.

There are two online sites in Germany which are UK friendly. Can't remember the names, but I'm sure with a bit of searching you'd find them.

10. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    However the panasonic tuners won't work in the uk, so be careful.

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    great i want a panny. :mad: What about pioneer? the 420S is silver....... no component out but has RGB in JVC has no RGB in.......... but does have component out... hmmm what to do!!!

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    wel krish AV reckon they can get black E55 and E65 but not with a PAL I tuner JVC would be perfect as the M10 is available in black IIRC but STB has no S-video output so i am limitec to composite....not what i want..... anyone else help?

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    No one?

15. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have a STB or SAT then you really don't need the internal tuner (if you want to record from an internal tuner then stick to S-VHS). I have ordered an E85 from www.technikdirekt.de and am awaiting delivery, Panasonic are the only company that I know who make region/country specific machines so a UK one will not work anywhere other than the UK (again it's the tuner as the UK one only has UHF) but the Pioneers do have UHF/VHF and support all PAL varients (so if you move to anywhere else in Europe you will be able to use it :smashin:) For me the Panny was the perfect machine due to its high quality recordings and the fact that it has progressive out ports. If you want a machine in black at a reasonable price then you will have to look in Germany and either accept that the analogue tuner wont work (no big deal as explained above) or loose out on recording quality (well a bit anyway) and more than likely component out. One last thing, shipping from Germany is €20 (that's about £13), cheap as chips but be warned that it is via road and will take about 7-10 days to arrive (there is no option for express which is a shame :confused: ) but if you compare it to what you would pay in the UK for the same machine then you will more than likely find that it is much cheaper to buy it in Germany and wait for it to arrive.

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    looks like the only option thanks BOSCO if i could get a suitable Black FV tuner with S-VHS out on second scart i would go for a JVC M10 in black otherwise it will need to be german E55 or even E65 (have been advised by krish they could get a black E65 but they wanted £££££ for one.......)
    and please let me know when yours turns up mate.....

17. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will do, I'm hoping that it will be within the next day or so (mine is being delivered to Ireland and the difference in price is incredible, paid €449 for an E85, local price would be near €800). This will be my second purchase from Germany, I got a Pioneer amp about a year or so ago from a different supplier, same policy re delivery and roughly same time re delivery, for the amp I paid €520, local price was €1200, crazy...... :censored:

18. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    any news BOSCO?

19. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, still waiting on it to arrive :mad: I have contacted technikdirekt.de and they are investigating where it is. I suppose the fact that it's Christmas and we have had some postal disputes in Ireland doesn't help one bit. I was looking at their site and it looks like the E85 may be out of stock but if you're willing to spend a bit more they are selling the E95 for €799. I looked on the www.richersounds.ie site and the same machine is just €1200 there, crazy or what :nono: I'm waiting on feedback and hope that this machine arrives EARLY next week, I'm really hoping that it hasn't been lost or stolen on the way (the delivery is insured), I'll keep you posted.

20. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    CHeers mate it will be after Xmas before i buy anything else....I am torn between functionality of a DVDR (nightmare to source in black) WHich i may have converted to a PAL I tuner............
    or buy a FV PVR and get a DVD player.....on a reasonably tight budget the DVD standalone will offer better PQ and easier to source in black but i am loathed to spend £200+ for aq marginal improvement in PQ but no improvement in functionality......... IF only more FV STB's had S-video out or JVC did RGB in.............. ARGH :mad:

21. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    so any sign of it yet?

22. Baj

Baj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maplin sell an RGB to S-video converter (SB-3680) for about £30.

I use two. Work fine.

23. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  24. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got feedback from technikdirekt.de and they have been advised by the logistic company that the package only left Germany on the 10th December this is despite them getting it on the 25th November :mad: :mad: Anyway they think that I should have it this week and in the meantime they are looking into what has caused the shipping delay (I bet it's because it's coming to Ireland). I'll keep you posted though.

25. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well HD it has finally arrived :clap: , once they noticed that it hadn't shipped from the logistics company they used they sent it DHL Express which kind of makes up for the delay (only in the sense that I didn't have to wait longer and it was an attempt to rectify the problem). Anyway I'm just in from work and haven't had the chance to open the box yet. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

26. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Good stuff mate looks like teknik direct are good....many suppliers would have told you just to wait....

27. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree. I've just had a quick look at this machine and it's the dogs :censored: Looking forward to getting a good go at it over the weekend.

28. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    So bosco how is it?

29. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is one FANTASTIC machine, I can say with hand on heart that if you are planning on getting a DVD Recorder then get one with a HDD on it, it is SO HANDY. I set it to record series 1 of Pheonix Nights last night (something that you couldn't do with a standard disk only recorder without a serious drop in quality) and have it set to record a load of stuff today (and series 2 of Pheonix nights tonight) and there is still MOUNTAINS of free space on the HDD. I also am recording a kids movie (ANTZ) this afternoon but that can go direct onto a DVDR, it is making life so much easier. Editing out adverts etc is a piece of cake and really effective, the fact that you don't lose any disk space is another major bonus. The only thing that I can't seem to find out how to do is set up auto chapters when recording (so that it puts a chapter mark about every 5 minutes), the manual doesn't say how its done but I think that I have read on this forum that it is possible, if anyone knows maybe they could post it here. Anyway, great machine and worth ever penny (which is about €400 less than I would have paid for it had I bought it in Ireland). 10 stars for me.

30. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    OK guys help me out i have seen a pic courtesey of pricerunner of the panny ES-10 in black, anyone seen one, or ANY other DVD recorders in black?
    PLEASE!!!