1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

black dot on Samsung SP50L7HX

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by shannow, Jul 25, 2005.

1. shannow

shannow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

I finally bit the bullet and bought one of these samsung DLP TVs and it was delivered at the weekend.

The picture quality when connected to the PC via DVI-HDMI is fantastic and standard TV channels on sky+ look good too, but...

I have noticed almost right in the centre of the screen a small black dot. You can only see it from about 2 feet away. Looking closer at it it does not seem to be taking a whole pixel up - if pixels are still what you call them for DLP technology.

I did a quick search on the forum and I found messages relating to smudging, etc, but it does not seem to be a smudge - it looks more like a piece of dirt stuck to the otherside of the screen.

Has anyone heard of this problem? I don't really want to return the TV - I would rather get a Samsung engineer out to look at it - has anyone had any experience with Samsung engineers and how good they are normally at fixing problems.

Cheers.

2. FGEvans

FGEvans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the same spot on my samsung SP50 . the strange thing was that originally i had a spot elsewhere on the set which disapeared.

However a spot has appeared in the bottom centre of the screen. It is very small and can only really be seen when the area behind is a very light colour.

I am not bothered by it however as unless you actively look for it you can not see it.

It reminds me of a stuck pixel - i do not know whether it is caused by a mirror in the DLP chip failing.

3. JZEE

JZEE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If the dot is defined i.e. is uniform in shape, then it is probably a stuck DMD mirror. If it is less uniform or sort of hazy, then it may be dust somewhere in the projection system (on the lenticular lens or in the light path).

I would check it out since its still new.

4. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    As it's a new set you're first point of contact should always be the retailer, let them arrange an engineer if necessary. Some people have made the mistake of rushing to contact the manufacturer in the first instance only to result in an engineer turning up and taking the set away for repair when what yor really require is a full replacement or refund.

5. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Get an engineer out to look at the set, it could be a stuck mirror (dead pixel) or dirt either way its a problem that can only be fixed by an engineer.

:D