Black Dog

James45

Standard Member
Reaction score
right I'm in need of some reasurrance.... i watched this Patrick Swayze straight to video actioner last night in widescreen on the beeb:clap: and found myself really enjoying it!:eek:
Swayze plays a ex con forced into driving a truck load of guns up from the deep south. Meatloaf plays the bible-bashing loony out to hijack the truck and keep the guns for himself.

I am;

a) going mad?
b) very drunk?
c) safe in the knowledge that this is actually an undiscovered gem?

you decide.

Did anyone else see it?

I watched it last night for the first time (was on the forum at the same time so not full attention). I enjoyed it and I have seen better critically praised film which where worse. Although I would not call it a classic and I will not be seeking it on DVD, also the last truck duel looked a bit dodgy but well worth watching one I will have to give it my full attention next time it is on.

Why do the BBC hide such films away which should have been on at 21.00 rather than running into Monday morning.

granted its no Citizen Kane, but it did more than it claimed on the tin (excuse the mixed metaphors).
The action scenes were reasonably exciting, Swayze held the screen well and the direction was certainly above average and it looked great making full use of a widescreen.
The supporting cast were a bit weak and gave away it's straight to video origins but that was about all that did. I certainly wouldn't think twice if I saw this in a bargain bin somewhere.

I was flicking between this one and Sexy Beast for a while but then plumped for Sexy Beast as the language was sitting right down in the gutter as soon as Ben Kingsley turned up. Turned out to be a right ripsnorter, so I ordered the disc today.
Black Dog just wasn't for me. Swayze hasn't made a decent film since Red Dawn:D

you made the right choice Sexy Beast is fantastic, i'm just saying Black Dog was surprisingly entertaining.

oh and I like Red Dawn too... it must be me then!:blush:

Originally posted by Rambo John J
Swayze hasn't made a decent film since Red Dawn:D

what about donnie darko?:eek:

wasn`t red dawn ronald reagans favourite film?

Originally posted by James45
russian paratroopers landing in american high schools? I'd imagine it was his nightmare.:D

it was the high school kids taking on those bad commies that did it for him.

Originally posted by adox
what about donnie darko?:eek:

My sentiment exactly;)

I like Donnie D, but it doesn't come anywhere near the top drawer entertainment of Red Dawn, which will one day be recognised as the classic of cold war cinema that it surely is. Where as, in the future, Donnie Darko will finally be recognised as the marketing exercise dreamed up between Squirrel God and Tears For Fears that it definitely is. One of those movies designed for people that go to gigs just to stand around stroking their chin, pondering, and looking thoughtful.:p

Besides, Donnie Darko wasn't exactly a Paddy Swayze movie, it was more of a movie he just happened to briefly drift through for a couple of minutes.

red dawn was american propaganda at it` best/worst- although i do remeber being highly entertained at the time:D

if swayze has to have a starring role in a film then what about dirty dancing?;)

come to think of it roadhouse was mildly enjoyable with all the violence and jeff healy

Originally posted by adox
red dawn was american propaganda at it` best/worst- although i do remeber being highly entertained at the time:D
Wasn’t this the story about some American school kid single handed turning the tide in a Russian invasion of America.:rolleyes:

I have just heard they are doing a remake and it the Brits that are invading them this time.:laugh:

Originally posted by Garrett
Wasn’t this the story about some American school kid single handed turning the tide in a Russian invasion of America.:rolleyes:

I believe it was a Russian-backed Cuban invasion, and the film only centred on the Wolverines, there was a widespread resistance right across the US - Powers Booth plays a pilot that gets shot down and then throws in with the kids to carry on the fight on the ground.
Pretty jingoistic on the surface, but it does present the flipside of a theoritical alternative Vietnam-style war. In both cases the better equipped invader was beaten by an enthusiastic opposition, although I doubt the average American viewer would pick up on the parallels John Milius was drawing (or am I just reading too much into it?:D )

Conan? Yes he did.
The guy's the man when it comes to macho cinema.
His original draft of Apocalypse Now was oozing testosterone and all his best lines have survived or resurfaced in the Redux version, and when you think he made Big Wednesday, The Wind and The Lion, Flight of the Intruder....

Red Dawn could do with a decent 5.1 remix though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom